Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Soda or pop.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shegirl, May 5, 2010.

?

Do you call it soda or pop?

1. Soda

114 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Pop

75 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. Soda pop

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  4. Soder (if you live in a cardboard box under a bridge in the country)

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. Coke- Even if it's Pepsi

54 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. I'm just here to suck Diet Coke out of Chaters belly button

5 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Agreed. I've been in Georgia all my life and have never, ever heard anybody from here refer to all soft drinks as 'Coke.' I call it what it is: a drink. I might call it by it's name, ie, "hand me my Sprite," but I wouldn't call a Dr. Pepper a Coke. I get the stupid chain forward email that says all southerners call it coke, and that's absurd.

On that note, fuck pepsi. Coke ftw.

2. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gulf coast motherfuckers! It's SODA. Pop is what you do to a virgin's hymen, coke is what you snort off of a stripper's tits.

3. no use for a name

no use for a name
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck Pop dude, seriously. "Pop" is the most ridiculous fucking thing I've ever heard in my life. When someone calls it pop, they may as well just drag their fingernails across a chalkboard, because that's the cringing sensation I get. This is funny because I was just about to bitch about someone saying "pop" in another thread, but realized other than that complaint I had nothing else to say on the topic, so I declined. I remember there was a semi-retarded and really fucking dirty kid in my neighborhood growing up, and his family called it pop. Ugghhhhhh, fucking STOP IT!!!

I'm surprised my option was on the poll: Coke, no matter what it is. When we were kids my cousin from Connecticut asked me this same question, and I replied that we call it Coke regardless. My exact line was this: "I'll tell the waitress that I want a coke, then she'll ask what kind of Coke, and I'll reply 'Mountain Dew.'" His exact response was "No fucking way!!" then we started laughing hysterically. It's funny how you remember some things so vividly, as that conversation took place well over 15 years ago, but I remember it so clearly - even what restauraunt we were in.

Now a days I'll refer to it as Soda in certain situations so I don't sound retarded, but I still prefer the all encompassing "Coke".

4. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I voted the Coke, even if it's a Pepsi option because I had to make a conscious effort around 16 to call it soda. In Austin, everything was Coke. This became confusing once I moved to Denver. Now it's "soda", I conformed, damnit!

5. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Soda. I live in the South, and like some others, I have always thought it was a North and South thing. I have family in Michigan and they call it pop. Makes me cringe every single time.

Why the fuck would you call every single type of soda coke? That is like calling every single different kind of beer one name. Fucking ridiculous.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So, when you need a tissue to blow your nose, you always say, "Can you hand me a facial tissue?" and you never say, "Can you hand me a Kleenex?" unless you have specifically already identified the brand on the box as Kleenex? Jell-O? You say lip balm, not Chapstick, flying disc instead of Frisbee, and table tennis instead of Ping Pong, right?

Some people do say, "Coke" to include the family of carbonated sodas, because, like the other examples, it's the best and most dominant player. I'm from Georgia, and that's how I cast my vote. If I specifically want a Sprite, I'll say that, but if I'm getting the drinks for a party, I'll say beer and cokes.

7. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I'm from Texas (originally west Texas, now in north Texas) and I call carbonated soft drinks Coke. The only drink that isn't called a coke is Dr. Pepper. Around here, you don't fuck around with Dr. Pepper; people take that shit seriously.

8. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Soda.......East Coast..........pop?? That sounds gay.

9. Muley05

Muley05
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I am in the midwest, specifically Kansas City. In Kansas City, it is pop. In St. Louis, which is four hours east, it is soda.

10. Logitech

Logitech
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Canada: Pop

I've never heard someone refer to it as soda

11. mekka

mekka
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't get this. How can everything be called a Coke? I could maybe understand calling it cola, but Coke? That's a brand, not a type of beverage. Southerners are a strange breed.

12. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

"Coke" is a type of sweet carbonated beverage, it tastes significantly different than Sprite sweet carbonated beverage or sarsaparilla-flavored sweet carbonated beverage or Crush sweet carbonated beverage. I can't tell the difference between Kleenex facial tissues and Scott facial tissues, or between a Frisbee-brand flying disc and a generic one. Those examples listed have little distinction in their consumer-detectable qualities. Sodas have a significant amount of distinction in their consumer-detectable qualities.

13. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

West coast. I call it pop and I think the majority of Oregon does as well, but more and more Californians are moving up here and trying to change things up.

14. Saint

Saint
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Born and raised n Cali, and I never heard it referred to as anything other than soda until I dated a girl that had just moved from Kansas after my senior year. Sounded cute though, “its shake and bake, and I helped”

15. Lowest

Lowest
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Chicago. Pop (pronounced Paaaaaaaaaap, while pinching your nose). When I'm trying to be hi-falutin', I'll call it Soda pop.

16. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard this primarily in North Carolina. When they're not ordering sweet tea, that is.

17. Maltob14

Maltob14
    Expand Collapse
    Space Cadet

YOU need to shut up.

NSFW language

#97 Maltob14, May 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

99% of the time that's true. But when I am hungover, nothing is better than pepsi in a can. It sucks in a bottle, but that can of pepsi mixed with 3 or 4 advil gets me back to normal in about 30 minutes.

Oh, and this Coke all the time thing is still bugging me. If I went to someones house and they asked if I wanted something to drink, "Do you have any coke?" would get me 1) a Coke or 2)a "no". It would not get me a "What kind of Coke?" Doesn't this create awkward situations where you ask if they have any coke, they bring you a coke, and you say "Ummm, I don't like Coke, do you have a sprite?" Honestly, the only kind of pop I order is Coke. In all my life I have never ordered a Coke and had the server ask me What kind of Coke I would like. This is stupid foolish. Pop is a dumb word for sure, but at least you know what I mean when I say it. Saying you want a Coke should not be followed up with the obligatory "What kind of Coke? Or... did you... did you mean Coke Coke?"

19. MateFeedKillRepeat

MateFeedKillRepeat
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

West cost, Vegas specifically. I always called it soda. Pop is just such a dumb word.

20. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Anyone remember Pop Shoppe pop?
    [​IMG]