Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sober thread: How much is too much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frank, Jun 18, 2012.

1. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a modern, Westernized nation like the US, maximizing profits doesn't involve bald-faced lies. That's bad business, especially when people will eat your food regardless of whether it's healthy or not. Regardless, there are already more than enough laws in place against this, and have been for many decades.

Yeah, I noted as much in my last post;

So why were people in the 70s generally healthier, less overweight, and there were fewer instances of obesity? How come things were better with less government regulation than we have today? The answer is that it had nothing to do with either government or companies. People just exercised more.

The conclusion you should be drawing is the first bolded sentence; government regulation was completely irrelevant. You seem to believe that even though it had no effect whatsoever for all these past decades, it will now?!

Again, there is zero evidence this will curb the consumption of any unhealthy food. You admitted yourself that consumers can get infinite refills or buy two 16-ounce cups, right? So it's just an inconvenience, not one an inconvenience that will reduce people eating unhealthily.

But even in the assumption of it working slightly, I would rather live in a nation of fat people who are free than a nation of skinny people where government is dictating to us what we can or can't do.

You can repeat this as often as you like, but it's wrong. Whenever government bans something, that leads to a loss of choice for both company and consumer alike. How is that not, in at least a very minor way, a loss of personal freedom?

Again shamelessly stealing from Penn Jillette, with whom I agree completely on issues of government intervention; "is there an otherwise good policy idea that you think government should NOT enact, because it's not their job?"

2. Sam N

Sam N
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People only know how to argue about the things that they are allowed to argue about.

3. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So who's going to make the used car salesman joke? Anybody?

I find it interesting that a lot of you believe that more deregulation is good. Let businesses sink or swim on their own merits and let the market dictate the winner. The only problem is that a large corporation can and does alter the playing field significantly in their favor. When I think of rich old guys at the head of multi-billion dollar corporations, altruism isn't a trait I associate with them. Just look at the shit that happened on Wall Street.

How does one justify continued deregulation in the face of a few powerful men running amok and ruining people's lives?

4. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I liked this graph myself

[​IMG]

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Funny, I've been the exact opposite, I eat bacon (nitrate/nitrite free, pastured) at least once a day now and have never felt better. Precisely why I would hate for the government to take over nutrition, while I think everyone can agree soda is bullshit the only studies that show red meat is bad for you are epidemiological, not mechanistic, and use logic that can prove anything you want. But the vegetarians are strong and you bet your ass if this law picks up momentum red meat will be on the chopping block.

6. Nitwit

Nitwit
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here is an article. It is dated 8/31/2009.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jonbarron.org/weight-loss/fat-tax-follies-junk-food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.jonbarron.org/weight-loss/fa ... -junk-food</a>