Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sober Thread: Body Image in the Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

1. You'll have to forgive me, I don't have the time right now to read that link in it's entirety, but as it shows this particular issue is a long discussion, well beyond the scope of the thread. That being said, the education system definitely has problems. However, it's probably not feasible to simply raze it to the ground and start over. The reality is you kind of have to change it bit by bit. Is my high school the only damn high school on the planet that gave education on body images in the media and how to interpret advertising? We honestly discussed the subject more than I would care to, I'm surprised it seemingly never came up up in anyone else's classes. Still, I think it's really hard to say how well education would impact society here, given it's terrible track record in areas. Sometimes even good education doesn't do a damn thing.
    2. Ok, so say we do that. Now we have women that look human instead of like dolls, but they're still a widely unattainable representation of beauty for most people. I don't think does much at all.
    3. I would of course be in favor of this, and I think most people would. It does hurt businesses though, I wouldn't wager a guess on just how much.
    4. The thing is, nobody gives a shit about any of that and it probably won't change. There's no point in talking about it if hardly anyone is listening. How many modern male scientists, theologians, astronauts, etc are well known? Maybe a few, but not many. Sexy women are always going to get more attention. Always. No way around that I can see, even if you try to cram it down people's throats. You can't just radically alter the market demands on a whim.
    5. I agree, I think plastic surgery is almost always wrong unless you're a victim of some accident or seriously deformed. Still, like you said, it's people's right to manipulate their body as they see fit. I would like to have somewhat strict psychological evaluations of people wanting surgery, and where it's deemed due to a mental illness, or irrational insecurity strongly recommend alternate treatments. I don't think a couple hours of counseling is so expensive relative to the cost of most surgeries.

2. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You have to be extremely careful with this. They've tried this exact approach with black scientists / theologians / astronauts, and it's completely backfired. Instead of saying to black kids, "Hey, this guy made something out of his life and is rich and successful due to education and hard work," it's turned into "WE'RE NOT RACIST SEE THE TOKEN BLACK GUY WE HAVE IN OUR BUSINESS." It's degrading and it's disgusting.

On-topic: The media is far worse when it comes to women and appearances. I'm not exactly the most handsomest guy in the world; I had a woman tell me, "You look like a washed-up boxer." But honestly, that's okay. I'm in good shape, and I know I can't change the fact that my face is busted, so I focus on the stuff that I can change.

Meanwhile, women are screwed over. "Your face is busted, and you should feel awful about it, you ugly hag." And the worst thing is that an enormous amount of guys are complicit in it as well. "Yeah, she's really cool / smart / in good shape... have you seen her FACE, man? Gaaahh." I don't know how to change it, though. It's a basic fact of life that the vast majority of people are shallow and interested in appearances.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it shallow though? I mean, there are certain attributes we're HARD WIRED to seek with the interest of propagating our species and keeping the gene pool nice and deep and not weak.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I don't really disagree with yo, but sometimes if you're really good at what you do, intelligence and skill gets the job done:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sure, he's smart, but nothing gets a woman going quite like a man who has a Jihad out on him.

Hot Woman: How many suicide bombers are after you?
    Salman: They only say...many.

Then she cums like that girl from the second Matrix movie who had a computer virus sent to her pussy in a piece of cake.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That's exactly why. He's dangerous. Great author, well-known, but danger is what gets 'em.

7. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But it appears he has went from Padma Lakshmi at her prime to some sort of tranny. That's rough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.