Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

SNOW DAY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah it was white-out conditions for about 3 hours, now its blue skies. Im in Newington, and they said about 6-8 inches, but we ended up getting 14. Maybe next time Scott Haney can take the dick out of his mouth long enough to make a somewhat accurate forecast?

2. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm glad that everyone south of us is getting a fucking winter POUNDING. For years I've listened to all the mid-Atlantic coast people I know talk shit on snow because they didn't get much. A few 4-5" storms and that was it. Welcome to real winter. Muahahahahaha.

I'm just glad we didn't get the heavy ass wet snow that they got in DC. That stuff sucks. It's back breaking to push around and shovel and it takes out powerlines. Be safe DC. Be safe.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Like a moron I hopped on my bike to workout before looking out the window to see how much I had to shovel, I feel like I'm going to collapse. Our roads aren't shoveled yet either so I can't go to work right now, lame.

On the bright side the snow is deep enough to jump off trees.

4. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We got at least 15 inches. We've had at least 4 feet of snow this month, which has to be some sort of record for RI.

5. Sherwood

Sherwood
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm certain we got another 15" here minimum. Could be closer to 20. I have a laptop for work that I took home last night so... honestly I'm happy that I don't have to go in today.

My girlfriend seems to be happy to sleep all day long though...

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My office park STILL ISN'T PLOWED. The storm has been over since 5 AM, I had to park at the grocery store and walk across the street.

7. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As an update to this, I got a call from the fiancee at 9:00 saying that her flight was cancelled, all hotels we booked, and that the trains were not running. So, what did I do? Got in the SUV and drove my ass from NY to motherfucking Newark International Airport. Ho-lee-shit. That was perhaps one of the craziest drives I've ever made. Cars off the road everywhere, some buried trying to just get onto the highways, absolute mayhem.

The onramp from Newark Int'l to Route 1-9 North had four coach buses that had gone sideways blocking my way to get home. So, I jumped the berm and took the truck route for 1-9 and had my GPS recalculate the way I needed to go. Left at 9:25 last night, and arrived back at my house near Albany at 5:30 this morning.

Was it worth it? You bet. All flights here today were cancelled again except for the flight she was supposed to take last night. It was definitely worth going to get her and not having to deal with a hysterical woman. She'll be taking the goddamn train next time, though.

8. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apparently, during portions of the storm last night, it was snowing 4-4.5 inches per hour. That's fucking insane.

I woke up to find about 12-14" and it took my girlfriend and I about an hour to dig out both of our cars. Our road is essentially a one lane snow mobile track that won't reveal bare pavement for at least a day or two. The main roads are great, though. I'm surprised they got them as clean as they did so quickly.

9. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I went out at 1 A.M. and it was madness outside. I was shoveling so it would be easier in the morning and spots I cleared had an inch on them in like 10 minutes.

If it snows again I am going to have to bring it in the house, there is nowhere left to throw it.

10. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Fucking snow, hahhaaa

11. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You're not kidding. They're gonna need to start trucking it out of a lot of places real soon. Basically anywhere you go, a good portion of the parking spaces are hosting a mountain of snow.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's some fun pictures for you all from today:

First thing this morning:

Here's after plowing. That snow pile is obviously taller than the front of my Bronco. The Bronco is on a 4" lift and 35" tires.

Remember my kids' snow tunnels? The red circle shows the original opening.

Attached Files:

13. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even though all this snow is a pain in the ass, it makes for a nice drive into work through the backroads in Fairfield.

Attached Files:

14. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was just under 40 F and sunny here today so I decided to attack the snow and ice before we get more (there's always more). Also finally broke out the roof rake my father gave me a few years ago.

I learned a quick lesson.

Snow sliding off a pitched roof doesn't fall straight down. In fact if there's a layer of ice underneath it can shoot off the roof a respectable distance. Also one should nibble at the snow with the roof rake instead of plunging it like a harpoon into the deepest part you can find and heaving with all your might.

Dragged an avalanche of snow off the roof and right down onto myself. Snow 1 - Fawkes 0

15. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its looking like the Chicago area and the midwest are going to get hit this week. Estimates are between 12 and 24 inches of snow between Monday night and Wednesday. I have a feeling travel is going to absolutely suck from Tuesday until Thursday or Friday.

16. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Yep, looks like they are tightening it to 18-24"...which my 95 Corsica can handle easily

17. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Looks like another 4-9" coming our way on Tuesday--a dusting compared to what January has been like.

Wednesday, however, is looking like serious shit. While it'll be cold enough to keep everything white and fluffy on Tuesday, warmer air is backing it up and giving us the potential for severe icing conditions--about 18 hours worth.

It's ok, no one likes electricity, heat, and any hopes of traction anyway.

18. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For fuck sake this shit needs to stop, the schools here are closed and it hasn't snowed since Thursday but people are scared of the snow banks. My girlfriend can't make any fucking money (substitute teacher) if these pussies won't open the schools.

19. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Supposed to get cold and shitty overnight, rain turning to sleet and freezing rain, so I may get a day off tomorrow. It was damn near 80 here this weekend, and will be falling into the teens in the next few days.

20. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My wife called her boss to ask her about what to do in blizzard conditions, which are expected from Tuesday into Wednesday afternoon. She works Tuesday until 6 and goes back to work at 11 am the next day. Her friend works Tuesday until 9 pm, and goes back at 8 am the next morning.

Her boss basically told them to get a hotel room and deal with it, as they were required to be at work. I'm annoyed, as I'd rather have her home. At least he said that they'd pay for the hotel rooms as long as they needed them, so he isn't an absolute total fuckhead. So now, I'm trying to find the closest hotel that won't come complete with cum stains on the pillows, and luckily there is one really close. Now my wife and her friend/co-worker just need to decide if they want me to book it for them already.

The real suck of it all is figuring out what they'll do Wednesday night. My wife gets off at 9, and her coworker gets off at 6. If conditions still suck, they may need to get a hotel room for another night. I should just say fuck it and book the rooms 2 nights just in case, and let her bosses pay for it. It isn't like they're pricey rooms.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the reason it is so important that my wife be up there to work is because she is a pharmacist, and state law mandates that a pharmacy can't be open without the pharmacist there. So, if she and her coworker (the only other pharmacist) can't get to work, the pharmacy can't open.