Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

SNOW DAY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For the last hour and a half I sat under a pine tree at the edge of my yard with a bowl and a beer, watching cars slide around trying to climb the hill. So. much. fun.

A little embarrassing when one stalled out right in front of me and the passenger looked over and saw me. I waved with my beer hand.

2. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not all of CT is bad. Down here in the south western corner it's been rain for most of the day. Flooding is the biggest problem on my way home tonight.

Tomorrow, however, should be interesting once all that flooding becomes rivers of ice.

3. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

NW RI and NE CT suck. My car is stuck in my driveway, going to have to go get the tow strap and pull it out with the Expedition.

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Another 8" of snow forecast for today. At least it's the light and fluffy stuff (so far anyways).

Weather has become a "hot topic" at work because the sales staff can work from home for the most part but the manufacturing folks can't for obvious reasons (So we're expecting snow tomorrow so I'm going to bring this 40ft robot home with me and work on it there. Ok?)

Yesterday a group of people were gathered around the break room talking about how much snow we could possibly get between this storm and the big one that's coming Tuesday. As I grabbed some coffee I listened in to the absurdity and fear mongering that a few people were spewing. So I decided to have some fun.

I launch into a completely fabricated story about converging weather systems, coastal humidity and low ceiling cloud cover that sounded really good. The potential for 8ft of snow over a 24hr period where we'd be trapped in our homes for weeks and that the weather forcasters are quietly saying there's a 15% chance of it happening on Tuesday.

As I walked out of the room their rampant speculation reached a fevered pitch.

I love messing with people.

5. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly the most frustrating thing to me with all this snow is making sure that the prima donna mail carriers have their seven mile landing strip to my mail box. I didn't get mail for the past five days because apparently I didn't do a good enough job, never mind the fact that I could still reach out and grab the mail from the passenger side of my car.

In other news I'll probably go to work today since I'm not a giant pussy, if for no other reason than avoiding cabin fever.

I think I live closest to you, so dibs.

6. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's another mess today here. My kids went to school twice this week. Monday = MLK day. Tuesday = Snow/Ice. Wed/Thurs = School. Today = we're at 6 inches of snow already, and it's still coming down. It was only supposed to be 4-7 inches.

7. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It sucks if you have a job that you have to commute to and get stuck with a week like this. So many people have to bring their kids to work with them because there's nowhere else to put them.

8. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, I e-mailed all my professors last night and said I wasn't going to drive the 56 miles to school today. No sense fighting this shit up there, it would turn my hour and a half drive into at least double that.

9. effinshenanigans

effinshenanigans
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We were supposed to get 3-5" down here, and I think we ended up on the low end of that.

I left for work at the normal time and Rt. 8 had no bare pavement. Traffic crawled, but there were no traction issues to speak of. By the time I reached 95, the roads were mainly wet, with slush in between the lanes, and traffic was moving at 55-60mph. At 8:15, it was sunny. I'm still the only person in my office. Pussies.

Some snow day...

10. JC62

JC62
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

We got around 6" in the Greater Waterbury area and my office/shop is a ghost town - which is just fine with me! I just received via UPS (2) 48" snow tubes and once noon time rolls around I'm heading out and taking the kids tubing! I haven't been able to buy any in Connecticut so I resorted to ebay just in time for the fresh snow! I can't wait for next week's storm.

11. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not too bad a storm. The wind is taking most of the snow off the tops of the piles I made and spreading it into the woods.

I feel a leeeeettle bad but...

My idiot neighbor that got his truck stuck still hasn't removed a flake of snow off his driveway and got stuck trying to go up it. His wife also posted a bunch of Facebook statuses about being stuck in the house because she can't get out of her driveway.

I'm pretending they don't exist. Next time he'll remember the cigars.

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We're getting another 8 to 12" of snow today. I have snow piles 4 feet tall in front of my house. It actually looks like snow covered bushes it's so fucking high. If it's gone by June, I'll be very, very surprised.

Front yard is going to be a disgusting, muddy mess for all of March, April, and May.

13. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here in upstate NY we squeaked by with not getting anything. On the other hand, my fiancee flew in from Germany to Newark and the 3:45 flight to the airport here was cancelled. I've been sitting here hitting F5 on the fucking airline website to make sure she's still going to make it here on the 7:45 flight, which was thankfully hers to begin with.

Edit: Just got a call from her... Newark Airport just lost power. What. The. Fuck.

14. Natty

Natty
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hot Tub Filled? Natural Light Opened? Wife enticing me to punch her in the solar plexus?

Check. Check. Check.

This is how I celebrate an inch and a half.

15. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got the call from my kids' school: Another snow day tomorrow. There's a fucking surprise. I'm going to have a heart attack and die from not surprised.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here it comes. 8 to 12 inches my ass, that's going to be at least a foot. We got 4 inches from the bullshit storm that passed through this afternoon:

Attached Files:

• Snow.jpg
      Snow.jpg
      File size:
      68.9 KB
      Views:
  17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Um.

18. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's more fun when you interpret the first phrase as a command/ejaculation, like "Hey, scootah, 8 to 12 inches my ass!", with only the second clause pertaining to the actual weather.

[​IMG]

19. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When they say "8 to 12 inches" around here, that's code for "dusting to 9 inches, tops". When I say at least a foot, I really mean 15 inches or more.

See, that's Rhode Island math for you. When I moved here from SoCal, I had to learn RI math to get four qwahtahs for a dollah and I had to go to the DMV to get a new license to be able to pawk my cah in the gahhhrahhhhge.

20. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Holy shit, I was just outside and it has snowed about 4 inches in the last hour, you can hardly see outside right now. In Stratford for the CT people.