Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

SNOW DAY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If today were a snow day for me, I would be watching the "Green Hornet" marathon on Syfy. 1960s fashion, cheesy dialog, tired sets and a young Bruce Lee kicking the shit out of second rate stunt men.

Just fog here, no snow.

2. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Growing up in Southern California, I never had a "Snow Day." However, when I was working back east for a couple of months, they did have a huge blizzard that shut down the city for a couple of days... ON MY DAYS OFF. People were told not to come into the office, but I was already taking those days off anyway. I did what I normally would have done: I got really drunk and bitched about my gambling problems to a half empty bottle of scotch.

3. seelivemusic

seelivemusic
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I don't really have snow days because I work at a hospital and take public transpo to get there. Thanks to the internet & cute nurses things are pretty fun at work if it isn't too busy and I'd rather work than use a unplanned vaca day.

I didn't have snow days in high school because I was a boarder. The only time we didn't go to school was when hurricane hit. Something like 80 boats were blown off their moorings and landed in the salt marsh behind my dorm. They had to bring in one of those huge crane helicopters to lift them out. It was awesome to watch.

4. Primer

Primer
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We got a about two feet of snow on the ground right now, after getting about a foot dumped on us a couple of days ago and I fucking love it. Nothing better than a ridiculous white-out, snow storm to get my mood up. Fuck it if the car is stuck and won't be going anywhere soon; it's skiing weather bitches! There's even more to come later this week!

I will admit, I am constantly surprised* on how unprepared people are when it comes to winter driving conditions. No snow tires, no extra blankets or jackets in their car, no kitty litter, shovel or emergency system. If you live in Canada and plan on going anywhere which requires more than a twenty minute walk too the nearest warmth, then you need an emergency kit.

Focus: I love snow. The more, the better.

*Actually, I'm not really. People are idiots.

5. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    We had 6" over night and it's supposed to snow the rest of the week.
    Whatever.That just means I have to spend some time blowing snow instead of driving around and shooting coyotes. I don't know what it is about the last couple of years, but everyone south of here has been losing their fucking minds every time they get a few inches. If the apocalypse happens, it won't be because of shitty weather/natural disasters etc., it'll be caused by idiots overreacting over the situation.

6. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We have 5 or 6 inches of snow, topped with over a quarter inch of ice. If I were well, I'd be pissed but since I'm sick, I'm not really concerned.

Speaking of sick, has anyone had their tonsils removed as an adult? I don't get sick very often but its bad when I do and I want those fuckers out (if I can get a doctor to agree with me).

7. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm in Indiana, and its been snowing pretty much all day around here, but we only have about an inch and a half to show for it, barely enough to break a sweat over. I can distinctly recall when I lived in Lafayette and worked at their schools, school was very rarely canceled. The only time I can recall it being canceled outright was when a snow emergency was declared, so not only were public schools canceled, but even Purdue University closed. To say that rarely happens would be an understatement. There was almost 2 feet of snow, and we couldn't do shit. I couldn't even get to my office, so I worked from home. Driving on the roads was technically illegal, due to the state of emergency. I just sat around, watched TV, and got caught up on any work I could actually do at home.

I can also recall a big blizzard hitting years back when I lived with my parents. I think I was only 14 at the time. The power was out in our town for about 2 days, so I had fuck-all to do besides sit around, read, or play my gameboy until the batteries died. They had a battery radio that they used to listen to news updates until the power came back. One thing about the town I grew up in (and live in now) is that they really don't give a fuck about neighborhoods or side streets. They'll plow the main roads six or eight times, but even in a snow like this, the plow comes down my street once, and if it isn't clear, to fucking bad for us. Our road is usually a sheet of ice.

During that same blizzard, as it was just starting to hit, I can remember driving to McDonalds with my brother. Not to buy something, but because he worked there. Apparently, he was the manager that lived closest, so they called him and told him to go and put up signs on the doors that they weren't going to be open for a couple of days. When we got there, there was already a good six inches of snow on the ground, there were no lights on, and no cars parked in the parking lot, and yet there were still two cars sitting at the drive-up speaker attempting to order. That was the first time I realized people are fucking stupid. Who goes out in that shit to get a fucking big mac, let alone can't see the clear warning signs that the place is closed. There weren't ANY CARS there! Who did they think was working? Of course they got pissed when they were told the place was closed. Finally, he put up a sign on the speaker and doors that read "due to unseasonably warm weather, McDonalds will be closed. Go out and enjoy the sunshine."

8. botox

botox
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

My school has been closed for two days now and there really is not that much ice on the roads if at all. I certainly am not complaining; everyone around here has pulled out the water toys for sledding. Yesterday I took the plunge down a snowy dirt mound (the only "hills" around here) on a finless surfboard, countless bodyboards, intertubes, and a three person run on a giant alligator which popped on a stick midway down.

9. benny lava

benny lava
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

We got about 5 inches in Little Rock Sunday.

Town was almost completely shut down yesterday.
    I've got 4WD, so I just worked a full day, not giving a shit. Left at lunch because no one was there and I caught up.

Problem down here is that we just can't keep the roads in decent shape when it accumulates so quickly, especially in rural areas. It takes us a while to catch up. Some light rain iced the roads up pretty good this morning, but it wasn't too bad.

Plus we just have idiots that can't drive in it. There was a 15-car pile up south of town on the free way that had people sleeping in their cars Sunday night.

10. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

All you bastards who get snow days from work can go straight to hell. I do managed IT services as a network engineer. At my job we get to VPN in and do our work.

'But what about the phones, thabucmaster?'

Yeah, external assignment directly to my cell phone. No matter what, I'm working, whether it be from home or the office. Only plus side if I am working from home is a liquid lunch!

I was in Germany for Christmas, and what amazed me the most is that they now have a country wide law in place that requires you to have snow tires on your vehicle. Otherwise, it's something like an 80 Euro ticket each time you get stopped.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How is this thread closing in on three pages and nobody has posted a snow sculpture of boobs yet? Odd.

12. 8Track

8Track
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I always liked this one...

[​IMG]

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I wish they'd do something like this around here. Seriously... a big-ass SUV 4x4 isn't going to help you at all if you slide and have no traction. But try telling that to some people around here.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

To me, Calvin and Hobbes captures the essence of what snow days should be like perfectly.

Attached Files:

15. Vanilla

Vanilla
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

And the snow continues in London, Ontario.... Time to go for a drift 'round the neighbourhood.

16. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's the forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

Gotta love it when they go straight to "BLIZZARD".

We're scheduled for 12 to 16 inches, which means it will be closer to 24 inches where I live.

Plans for tomorrow include a bobsled run, hot chocolate, brandy, a warm fire, and sex.

Attached Files:

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yeah, now they're calling for 40cm of snow and 100km/hr winds overnight.

Cue the power failures in 3... 2...

18. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

What NOT to do on a snow day:

At about 2:45 they start the description of what happened.

<a class="postlink" href="http://statter911.com/2011/01/10/raw-video-car-catches-fire-on-live-tv-snow-coverage-heats-up-in-georgia/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://statter911.com/2011/01/10/raw-vi ... n-georgia/</a>

Time to thin the herd folks.

And on that note, anyone else other then me carry a small fire extinguisher in their cars?

19. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll one autonerd up you. I carry two. One under the drivers seat, one in the trunk. Every car.

Had the wonderful experience of a minivan going up in flames on me when I was 19 or 20. Not something I want to experience again.

Edit: Per Nett's rep... his extinguisher may be small but it's fancy.

20. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    So I was driving through town this morning and some dick in a truck pulls out in front of me...

[​IMG]
    AYOOOOO!!!