Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

SNOW DAY!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by downndirty, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Danger Boy

Danger Boy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a flyover state hoping your plane crashes
    About as hard core as a scrapbooking convention. Get yourself an aluminum scoop shovel. Otherwise you're just wasting your money.
    [​IMG]

This happened 20 miles from where I live. Remember to clean the snow off your roofs, people. It's been happening a lot lately.

We ended up getting about 8 to 12 inches overnight, then the wind blew a million miles a fucking hour. The drifts out at our farm are up to about 12 feet tall now, I'll post some pictures if I get a chance.

2. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh damn! It may snow in the Florida panhandle tonight. Low of 39-ish, probably lower with a wind chill of really fucking cold. Driving tomorrow on the icy roads is going to be awesome. AWESOME I SAY!! Drivers here are both dyslexic, blind, old, and Asian, and using their turn signals is a suggestion. Goddamn.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I'm in the southern most part of Alabama. Light freezing rain today, and light flurries Friday night expected. Wow. Hell is officially freezing over.

4. Suit Jacket

Suit Jacket
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Here is my report from going outside in Chicago yesterday, which was a snow day for me:

7:00 a.m. - take the puppy out, it looks like a ghost town. It has stopped snowing. One lady across the street sweeping snow off her porch. One car trying to go down the road (I live on a snow route, so it was plowed) with a cop car following behind it waiting for it to spin out. One guy walks down the middle of the street carrying a shovel over his shoulder and offers to shovel my building. I decline.

8:30 a.m. - I come back out to go for a run before it gets cold and other people stomp the snow into ice. It has started to snow again. One of my condo board's members is out shoveling. Actually see a CTA bus going down the road. I spend about 25 minutes "running", which consists of jumping through drifts, wading through a sea of snow and otherwise goofing around outside. Very few people out, mainly just starting to shovel. The wind picks up and by the time I return home, my footprints have been erased, even those that were 2 feet deep. I go home and enjoy a big breakfast.

Noon - Take the puppy to the nearby park to play. There are a lot of people out. There are about 6 other dogs running around like idiots in the snow. Most people are walking around with cameras (I live in a hipstery area, so they were trying to take artistic photos). A handful of people are standing by their cars with shovels, debating the merits of trying. I let my dog run around for an hour and then we go home.

Nothing else of real note, though the side streets weren't plowed until last night. I haven't tried getting my car out of the garage, but the alley looks pretty clear. Really, I thought the city did a pretty good job of handling the whole thing. Today, the sidewalks are actually better than they were after the last snow. LSD was clearly a mess, but I can't really blame the city. Really, why would you get on LSD in a blizzard?

5. Striding Man

Striding Man
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

All of Lake Shore Drive in Chicago was a ghost town yesterday. At last count there were "officially" over 900 cars stranded or abandoned on LSD. Unofficially that count tops 1,500. The maximum wind gust recorded was 70 mph. That is unheard of in this city. I'm glad that everyone here seems to have ridden the storm out safely, just don't give yourself a heart attack shoveling today. There were 12 deaths associated with the blizzard so far, 8 have been heart attacks or hypothermia suffered while clearing driveways.

6. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I really wish people could explain to me why the fuck everyone was burning the camera memory with this snow shit. I really can't understand it. How long are you really be able to talk about this shit? How nice will the memories be that we got buttfucked by the weather? I just don't fucking get it. Not pictures of sledding or cool snowmen just "Hey, that's a fuckton of snow, let's take a picture."

I woke up this morning, saw the temperature go from 1, to 9, to 18, then back down to 10 for most of the day. And this of course wasn't counting windchill. I left my apartment once for Chinese food and took a bus (because it was there) 2 1/2 blocks. Fuck the cold.

7. Polarfsu

Polarfsu
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I live in Florida, its kinda cold here.

wakka wakka wakka wakka.

8. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's because Texas doesnt really get snow you fucking arsehole. I had a grand old time driving home at 1am. I had an even grander time helping out the poor fuckers who got stuck in the snow on the roads.

Although if I was them I would have had a hilarious time seeing me falling on my ass in the snow trying to get to them.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

All of a sudden you guys bitching about snow seem like huge fucking pussies.

Watch it to the end. It's worth it just for the WTF effect.

#189 Nettdata, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Blah, snow again, won't be any significant accumulation but we have another day of no sun to melt these ridiculous snow banks and people are still driving like shit.

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Gearing up for another day off tomorrow. While the extra study time is nice, it's not helping my wallet at all. Last week cost me almost an entire week's pay and university policy doesn't allow me make up the hours this week.

12. InDollarsWeTrust

InDollarsWeTrust
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Would prefer snow to this bullshit. Currently we're getting something between snow and rain, that both refuses to stick or to freeze. Hurray for surprise ice skating!

13. benny lava

benny lava
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

According to the weather geniuses and all of their weather model data here in Little Rock, we have accurately determined that tonight and tomorrow we will receive accumulation any where from 1" up to fucking 10 ft or something.

It's hilarious following these goons on twitter. They literally present something showing 10"-12", then two hours later come back and say it's now 4"-6"... then 2"-4"... then 8"-10".

A year ago, they all pretty much said that we'd get no accumulation and we woke up with 8" on the ground.

14. thabucmaster

thabucmaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Apologies for drumming up an old thread...

Annnnd, another fanfuckingtastic snow day. It went from 50+ degrees yesterday afternoon to freezing rain by 7:00 last night. Woke up to a 1/4 inch of ice and a few more inches of snow on top of that this morning. It was bad enough that I couldn't even get into my car because it was frozen solid. So, I get to sit at home and work, since a snow day doesn't mean that I don't get to work.

On the plus side, liquid lunch!