Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Smokin'!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrFrylock, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Actually, I would prefer a non-smoking bar go all the way like this, I'd be pretty pissed if I went to the only one in the area and stepped outside to the porch just to be surrounded by smokers.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Count me as one of those people.

I have no problem with people smoking, so long as it doesn't have any impact on me. When I have to walk through your smoke, that's impacting me. I don't like it, and a smoker thinking that I should just deal with it is suffering from a self-entitlement issue.

If it's at the entrance/exit of a building, I have no choice, and would appreciate it if you showed some basic respect and didn't subject me to it.

Outside, in a park, wherever, go nuts. Just pick up your butts and not flick them anywhere that's convenient for you.

Same goes for gum chewer... just don't spit your gum out anywhere, as it's not biodegradable and it's fucking disgusting. Swallow that shit, or throw it out in the garbage. Don't spit it out onto the sidewalk.

3. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I think fast food as become the "common sense" way of eating on the cheap. However, people don't actually compare prices. I could go buy ingredients for a week's worth of meals for less than it costs to buy each meal from Mickey D's or the like. And if you look at nutrition, the obvious choice is to avoid fast food. But that isn't the issue, is it? It's a lifestyle.

When I worked at the dry cleaners, I was surrounded with very poor, low class people. They all ate fast food at lunch, and most of them were overweight. No one was in good shape, and I'm sure eating out every day wasn't helping their financial situation. $6-8 bucks for a meal? That's more than an hour's worth of work.

If we're talking about subsidized food (which is totally off-topic but whatever), there are ways to do it so that it isn't abused. Back in the day when my mother was growing up, she was dirt, dirt poor. Like, outhouse in the back yard, raising rabbits for food kind of poor. Her family received some food subsidies from the government. Guess what form they were in? Bags of flour, jars of peanut butter, bread, etc. Why is everyone so fond of handing out money? If people are poor and are hungry, give them food. I don't see how this is so complicated.

As for being on topic...I am a non-smoker, and I will avoid certain places that are filled with smoke (bars, bowling alley, etc) because I find that ciggie smoke gives me a headache. However, I find it ridiculous that local governments/councils can legally prohibit smoking, a lawful activity, in public places. I think that local businesses should be able to choose their own store policies in these matters. More often than not, they will choose what best fits their client base. You've got to be smart to stay in business.

4. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

When the smoking bans first started going into affect I got into some minor arguments with my smoking friends over this. They said it was bullshit that they now had to go outside to smoke. My counterpoint was that it was only an inconvenience for them to step outside to puff a sig. Just like it had been an inconvenience that I smelled like an ashtray, and felt like hacking up half a lung after a night at the bar. They were just pissed that they weren't being catered to anymore. None of them complain about it anymore, because once they got used to it most them now prefer the bars non smoking.

I have a questions for everyone. Were the smoking bans in your area put on the public ballot? Would you have the same complaints about them if had been. The bans in Ohio and Illinois (at least Chicago) were put on the public ballot, and it makes them less obtrusive to me.

5. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Call me crazy but the first chick I ever fucked was a smoker. If I smell smoke on a (mildly attractive) redhead (or otherwise, its go time, I love it.

6. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

7. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I'm outside, obeying the law (in Seattle, it's 25 feet from a doorway/window/etc.), and you walk through my cloud of smoke, I have an entitlement complex because you didn't want to cross the street? Or hold your breath? Or any number of things you could have done to avoid the smoke in the first place? Even though I was standing there first, not bothering anybody until you happened to walk down that particular sidewalk? Who has the entitlement complex here?

It's that kind of heavy-handed thought process that really bothers me. And I don't even smoke anymore! To me, walking through a cloud of tobacco smoke is like walking down a street that's got tar being laid down. It smells, makes me nauseous, but there's nothing I can do about it but sack up and walk through it quicker.

Edit: Most smoking bans are based upon a study done in the 50's on the effects of secondhand smoke. A study that was found to have been extremely flawed. While they aren't saying smoking isn't bad, they are saying that secondhand smoke has no measurable effect on causing lung cancer or heart disease. I'm not sure I can get behind violations of personal liberty based on faulty medical studies.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Don't get your panties in a bunch and read what I wrote... I said if you were at the front door, and I had no choice but to go through your smoke.

If you're 25' away, and it's only my whim that causes me to get smoked out, then that's not the case, and I said "fill your boots".

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Seriously, who fucking cares about cancer? The health issues is not the reason why I don't want to be subjected to your smoke... it's because I don't like it, and it irritates me. (Physiologically).

You repped me about how you're passionate about personal liberties. Well, guess what? I am too.

I have just as much right to not have to be subjected to smoke as you do of smoking. A smoker's right to smoke doesn't trump my right not to be subjected to smoke. I have just as much right to have nobody fuck with my serenity, or subject me to your smoke.

Go ahead, smoke all you like, but be respectful of my liberties so that you don't do it at the only door into or out of a building. Walk the 25' away, and show me that common courtesy. If you don't, you're a fucking dick, and have that previously mentioned self-entitlement issue.

Don't confuse your right to smoke with your right to smoke wherever the fuck you want.

10. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

*raises hand slowly, looks around*

11. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My boss worked/managed a lab in a hospital back in the 70s. He said they used to smoke in the lab while they were running tests and stuff. There were ashtrays on the counters. They'd have a cigarette and be working with blood samples and the like. Then AIDS and all happened and they had to straighten up but I was amazed that they'd be smoking (and apparently drinking coffee) while running tests on blood and stuff.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

*sigh*

I meant as a reason for not being exposed to smoke.

Sure, I can see the issue if you're living with a smoker, and are constantly exposed to smoke, like kids are.

But in public, like in a restaurant, etc., the reasons for banning smoking (to me) have fuck all to do with my concerns over cancer. That's what I meant. It's because it's disgustingly gross and I don't want to be subjected to it while I try to eat.

The worst, by far, was when I was a kid and we'd fly. They had smoking sections on airplanes.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

#73 Frank, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

And people wonder why I moved out onto a lake in the middle of nowhere.

I think I'll go have a cigar on the dock.

Ironically hypocritical, no?

15. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They do?

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I maintain my position that if you smoke around me, I should be allowed to fart directly in your face. A browneye for a eye.

17. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Y'all uptight motherfuckers need to relax. Maybe you could take up smoking? I hear that helps.

18. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

I've already weighed in on this, but I have to smile when I think of how Calgary handled this whole thing.

There was a big push by the do-gooders to have a blanket smoking ban across the city. No establishment, including restaurants and bars, could allow smoking on the premises. It goes to council and - being the anti-union, anti-dogooder environment that Calgary is - they compromise. No smoking allowed in any establishment that serves minors.

Boom! That next day every place from donut shops to restaurants put up signs saying, "No one under 18 allowed." Holy backfire, Batman. Instead of the Utopian no-smoking environment the anti-smoking lobby envisioned, now kids aren't allowed into Tim Horton's.

It eventually passed as a city-wide ban, and frankly everyone is better for it. Businesses are busier as non-smokers no longer avoid certain areas and smokers just adapt. I haven't seen anyone discuss it here, but free market and laissez faire with establishment owners is one thing; the staff who must work in these places is another. I was managing a restaurant at the time and our servers counted the days until the ban came into effect. Yeah, no one is "forcing" the staff to work there, but part of your job description as a server or bartender isn't exposing yourself to carcinogens whether you like it or not. I was pleased to see the ban.

19. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Remember going into restaurants and being asked by the hostess: "Smoking or Non-smoking?"

I don't smoke but I always chose "Smoking" because that was a better chance of people's dumbass kids not being there.

Can I start a campaign that emphasizes a "Children or No-Children?" question at restaurants?

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fuck yes.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.