Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Smoke Your Meat

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Revengeofthenerds, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I will if I've added some brown sugar to the mix and want a bit of a caramelized exterior to it. More than anything I use the spray/mop for temperature control. If things are too hot and I need to control the heat on the outside of the cut, I'll mop/spray it as needed.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

porkshoulder.jpg
    Well i put the pork butt in at 8am this morning. Set it at 250. And i have turned it up twice since then. It is now just after 3pm and it is still only at 155 internal. Taking way longer then anything i read or watched. Mind you it is 0C/32f outside, it has been keeping a good constant temp on the inside but maybe the outside temp has something to do with it.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I ate my first smoking attempt at midnight, well after the planned meal time. Just sayin. It's as much art/experience as it is science.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've found that I've now put the big stuff on around midnight or later, then get up early and check it... it'll keep warm for hours once it's cooked, but it's hard to rush it to be cooked on time. The temp controller I bought has made that process much easier and trustworthy. It also lets me check temps on my iphone from bed at 6am to check in on how it's going.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

What controller did you buy?

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20211205_204452.jpg

So it ended up being done resting around 9pm. I started at 250, then 5 hours in, it wasn't coming up nearly as quick, i turned it up to 275, then after a couple hours i turned it up to 300. When i wrapped it up. I put it in the oven at 275. No idea why it took so long. I would like to try it again and put it on over night.

It didn't fall apart like it should, but still tasted great. One thing i learned was definitely need the bone in, all i could get was bone out and the 1/4 of the butt that was smaller then the rest dried out a lot.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The green egg genius.

8. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've never had good luck with bone out.
    What temp did you pull it at? I start testing around 195* but usually ends up being done around 203* for me but I'm going off resistance on the temp probe and not actual temp for doneness

9. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was around 202. I went with how easy and how clean the probe came out.

10. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

For pork butts I always do bone in and rip it high and fast. 275 for the first hour, then crank it up to at least 300° until finished. There’s enough fat in there that you’ll be good, and it’s so damn thick that you need some heat to get through it all. Also, if you’re doing pulled pork, don’t forget that crust is getting mixed in so add some extra rub as seasoning once it’s all pulled, maybe even some apple juice or just a drip pan beneath the butt to save the natural juices, then pour that back over the top

11. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20220109_175709.jpg 20220109_174917.jpg

Smoked my first brisket. Definately learned a few things. Since the flat would take a shorter amount of time to cook i put it near the front of my smoker and put the point at the back. Well since the front of my smoker is all glass the temp changes to much. I thought when i wrapped it the temp would even out a bit, it didn't. So the flat actually didn't get up to enough of a temp to become buttery smooth. Good smoke ring. The point was as perfect as it was going to get.

So next time i am going to just position it differently in the smoker.

12. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And now I'm hungry.

I think that is the most pronounced smoke ring I've ever seen. Which smoker do you have?

13. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just a pellet smoker. Pit boss series 5. I used a blend(cherry/maple/hickory).

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice! How did your timing work out for you? The first brisket I smoked was ready about 5 hours later than I had anticipated... I think I cut it up and had some at midnight or so.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I learned from my pulled pork attempt to give yourself way longer then needed. So it worked out fine. 12 hours on the smoker at 225. Then i wrapped it and put it in the oven for about 5 to 6 hours.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice. I found that with my Egg Genius it was really handy to see the charted temps over time so I could see how long it took and the various rates before and after the big render.

17. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

https://dicksonbbq.com/collections/.../signals-4-channel-wifi-bluetooth-thermometer

I picked up that on boxing day. Just came in on friday. 3 meat probes and an air probe. Wifi/bluetooth to my phone. Yea it was really interesting to see how it stalled for a while at certain temps.

18. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know you already bought yours, but for anyone else that might be interested, you can just get it directly from Thermoworks for $60 cheaper at the moment.

Link is here.

*Edited to add: Just realized you're in Canadia, so that might not apply.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Perfect! Yeah, seeing where the rendering process saps the heat energy is really informative.

I’m trying to use it to better estimate future smokes based on fat content and weight.

20. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20220122_090150.jpg 20220123_080350.jpg

2nd pulled pork. It was amazing. It took about as long as i expected from the previous one, but way longer then what i have read. Took about 14 hours at 250.