Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Smartphones: bathroom breaks will never be the same

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elset, Sep 27, 2010.

?

What kind of phone do you currently use?

1. Android

77 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Blackberry

63 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. iPhone

80 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Nokia

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Regular Mobile Phone

106 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a T-mobile Dash 3G blackberry type of phone.

It's ok. If I could have lived with it for a week or two before committing to it, I wouldn't have it.

Yes, it has GPS, windows mobile and all that, but bottom line is, those buttons are just too fucking small. I want the biggest damn keyboard I can get on a phone, so next time, that's the first thing I'm going to look at.

2. The Beer Baron

The Beer Baron
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm on my second BB Curve since 2007, this time the 3G (got it last weekend). The girlfriend had a Pearl up until a couple months ago when she murdered it with a coffee, and now has a Bold. My two closest friends have a Storm and an iPhone 4G. I found the Pearl too small (screen and keyboard), and I can't stand the fucking touch screens. I Like the fact that I can run most of Googles' apps including the office stuff and msn. The best part is probly the money - my upgrade last week only cost me $30.

3. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a Nokia 6700 classic that I got for "free" when I signed up with my carrier for a 2 year contract.

[​IMG]

The only issue I have had with it , is that some dust has gotten into it (under the screen) and I need to get it cleaned.

Other than that , it does what I need it to do , make calls and send/receive text messages.

My general reaction to all the iPhones, Androids etc has been ......

Big F*cking Whoopie.

4. KillaKam

KillaKam
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got a first generation Motorola Droid this summer, and I'm very content with it so far. It's my first smartphone, so I'm still figuring out all the different kinds of apps/functions etc..The web browser is very quick and it's nice to have my Gmail address right at my side. The camera is also pretty awesome as well, and I find myself using it a lot to take random pics when the time calls for it. The phone is very sensitive, and sometimes I find random apps going off when I slip it into my pocket but it's a very minor drawback for this good of a phone.

5. LukesBoxHero

LukesBoxHero
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Just wrote a case analysis on HTC and their history. HTC is very cutting edge when it comes to technology innovation and the Android operating system is the leader in the US as of Q2.

I once used to say that I would never use a smart phone blah blah blah - I've had my BlackBerry Tour since May and I could never go back to not having the internet (or The Hockey News) in my pocket whenever I wanted it. RIM keeps pushing these new blackberrys without the scroll ball - which I think is the best physical part of the Tour because it gives you great feel of the phone.

6. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't really like the optical touch sensor (or, at least, I don't like the implementation of it on the HTC Incredible). I find the touch pad to be an acceptable substitute for the dirt-accumulating ball/scroll wheel, though.

7. Subito

Subito
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Motorola Razr V3. It's 2005 muthafuckas. I don't need fancy e-mail when this phone can store over 45 texts AT ONE TIME.

8. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

A few days ago I upgraded my phone from a palm pre to a HTC Evo 4g (Android operating system).

I just rooted and installed a custom rom (fresh rom). Mainly to get wifi tethering for free. It would cost me around $30 per month to wifi tether through sprint. What I did made it free. It also removed all the shitty preinstalled program Sprint puts on it. I really don't have a need for multiple Nascar Apps.

I don't have 4g in my area yet, but when I do, I will not have a need for home internet any more. My friend that lives downtown has it, and he is getting a 6mbps connection.

The phone is fucking awesome. I highly recomend you all get one. And the best part? I don't ahve to suck Steve Jobs' (or iTunes) cock to use it.

9. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This past spring I got a Googel Nexus One on t-mobile, upgrading from a phone so old it didn't have a camera in it.

Overall, I really like this phone. The turn by turn GPS navigation is probably worth the price of admission right there and makes the price tag a lot easier to swallow when I look at the cost I would pay to just get a dedicated GPS. Then all the usual joys of a smartphone, e-mail, web, etc, and I am slowly learning which apps I actually want and how to use them.

Some downsides though. I somewhat wish I'd waited until it came out for Verizon as I have heard they have better coverage than T-Mobile, but I also got some decent deals out of T-Mobile's customer retention department. As for the phone itself, the touchscreen gets a little unreliable occasionally but turning the screen off and then on seems to fix that readily enough. The fade time on the screen seems a little quick but I suspect I can adjust that somewhere. I do think, however, that the next smartphone I get will probably have an actual keyboard in it. I can text ok with a touchscreen, but it's not preferred and writing an e-mail is a pain in the ass for me without a physical keyboard.

10. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Swipe typing is interesting. It's a LOT faster one-handed, which is really convenient many times. Takes a little to get used to but once you're used to it, it's very speedy.

However, I find that two-handed thumb typing on a portrait keyboard with a very good auto-correct mechanism is still faster overall.

The best part, of course, is that Android makes it easy to switch between the two on the fly, so I just use both. Swype is my default, and I switch to the multi-touch keyboard when I want to do a lot of typing.

11. silway

silway
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've spent the last few minutes hunting around online and on my phone and I can't find out how to get swipe texting on my phone to give it a shot. Is it a setting internal to the phone or an app somewhere?

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's an application.

Swype is the most popular and it comes with several models of phones. It's a closed beta but if you hunt around on XDA-Developers or Android Forums, I think there are copies kicking around you can install. SlideIT is available in the market and is a similar keyboard with the same mechanism of sliding your finger to type. There's a free demo copy, and the full version. I haven't tried SlideIT, as my Droid X came with Swype.

Don't reject it out-of-hand though, because it takes some getting used to. Use it for a while and see if it grows on you.

13. NickAragua

NickAragua
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I use my phone for two purposes: to make and receive phone calls. So I just get the cheap 20 dollar phones that come with whatever plan I'm on, since I don't really care much about texting, and I don't need video, photo or internet capability, either. I guess the internet thing could be useful if I got lost or something and needed directions quick, but, chances are, I can either a) call someone or b) look at a paper map.

My current phone is an LG GU295, so I guess it technically has a camera, internet capability and can probably play music (ooh, and shitty mobile phone games), but I frankly don't care. Really, I'm not a technophobe, I'm just practical.