Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Smartphones: bathroom breaks will never be the same

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elset, Sep 27, 2010.

?

What kind of phone do you currently use?

1. Android

77 vote(s)
    23.0%
  2. Blackberry

63 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. iPhone

80 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Nokia

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Regular Mobile Phone

106 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have an iPhone 3GS. The reason I went for the iPhone over the G1 (the only Android phone available at the time) was because I wanted to develop apps, and Apple's store was much more established than Androids. This could've been a bad idea, because there were more apps for mine to get lost in the shuffle. It never really came into play though because over a year later I have only made minimal progress on any of my apps. I do still love the phone and I'm on it pretty much all day, though.

The only other smart phone I've spent significant time with was the Droid Incredible. It's a really good phone and the only other touch screen that has worked nearly as well as the iPhones.

2. villagebicycle

villagebicycle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Galaxy s for att. Becaise it is not an iphone. Wish I had the evo but my parents still pay the bill...plus I get 20% off thru work which covers my data. Plus swype is the shit.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is exactly why I have a cheap shit phone (not even sure what model it is) that doesn't have internet. I'm extremely frugal and though I can afford a better phone, the money can be better spent elsewhere. Also, I don't want to be one of those shitbags that checks their e-mail in the middle of a conversation, not saying that everyone with a high end phone is like that, but I have attention problems as it is and would most likely fall into that trap. Plus, like many of these things (big screen TV's, Netflix, GPS) I know that once I get it I'll never be able to go back, and I already have enough of those 'necessities'.

I'm not saying next gen phones are stupid, if that's something you place a high value on, you should definitely get one, it's just not my thing (yet).

4. Tuesday

Tuesday
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

if you've read any of my posts in the tech section, you might recall that I own and absolutely hate my blackberry. I have the tour, and while having internet, email, and some apps is fantastic, the interface is shit, it's slow as fuck, and last week my month old refurbed model got rained on and the keyboard is totally fubar'd. It's not like I abuse my phone either, it has a rubber case, screen protector, and I baby the shit out of them. I got my refurb because the old one would just randomly shut off if I so much as looked at it in the wrong tone of voice. The one I have now got rained on through my open window while sitting on the sill. I don't know how much it got, but Verizon told me it has water damage so it isn't covered. Bastards. I've tried to get a droid a couple times now, but I'm not due for an upgrade until spring, and I haven't had any luck convincing a rep to let me upgrade early...

I want a droid mainly as it has better apps, and interfaces with Google Apps much better than my BB. It just seems BB has been left to die with the advancements Apple and Android have been developing.

5. lyle

lyle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I got a Samsung Galaxy a couple of months ago and I absolute love the shit out of it. It was between that or an iphone 4 and to be honest, I wasn't prepared to pay £200 for it when I could get (in my eyes) a far superior phone for free.

There is little I don't love about the Galaxy, the only gripes I have with it is that the camera has no flash which befuddles me. Why have a 10mp camera and no flash? That and the alarm clock does not work when the phone is switched off but even then its only a minor inconvenience at worst.

6. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have an iPhone 3GS and I love it.

First, I've never had issues with reception. On very rare occasions (i.e. now, in the basement of a building), I only get 1 or 2 bars, but still a full 3G signal, but it is rare that I am completely without a signal.

Overall, I just like the iPhone interface, and they've made improvements to the OS since I've had it. Little things like making folders and double-tapping to switch apps quickly are silly and other phone operating systems have had them, but since adding it, the clutter is reduced and the phone works excellently.

I also baby the shit out of this phone and plan to keep it for at least a few more years. I refuse to upgrade until it is absolutely necessary (see: this phone dies somehow). I do love my iPhone, but I won't be one of those assholes who has to get the new model as soon as it comes out.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a Nokia N95 for calls and a Blackberry for emails. Although, I'm thinking of trading the Nokia in for a Garmin Asus gps phone, but not very hard (mainly because having to pay $400 for the updated gps dvd from Subaru is ridiculous I can buy a top of the line handheld with better features than that, and the Garmin Asus comes with lifetime map updates).

I keep them both as I'm often on the phone and emailing at the same time. I rarely use the Blackberry for anything except emails as data charges in Australia are fucking pathetic.

8. caseykasem

caseykasem
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have the motorola droid. I chose it over the htc because of the slide out keyboard which makes sending emails and texts much quicker for people like me who have difficulty or don't like to type on a touch screen. Had the the iphone been available for verizon, I would've gladly sacrificed my slide out keyboard for the superior features of the iphone.

That said, I think that the android technology will become superior to any of that used by the iphone although I do not believe it has done so yet. Like others have said, blackberry is shit. I had the blackberry pearl for two years and thought it was amazing when I got it but after a few months of use, it became apparent that it was a technology that was fading fast. The apps were horrible, the browser was worthless, and I had constant problems sending and receiving email.

9. OBY

OBY
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have the htc Evo.

It is an awesome phone. I was a little worried about the battery drain that everyone was always talking about, but I never run out of battery.

I bought an external battery charger with an extra battery and even a car charger because everyone said it was bad. I rarely use them.

The apps are awesome. Flash while browsing the internet is awesome. Touch screen is about if not exactly as good as the iphone (I have never owned an iphone but have played with them).

I am not gunna lie. The iphone 4 looks sexy, however, I am perfectly happy with the evo.

10. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    I'm still using my Sony Ericsson C902 that I got last June. I will only consider replacing it if it breaks and I'm not able to get it repaired at reasonable cost (the warranty expires in June 2011). I've set up my e-mail to work on my phone, but I never use it, since the PC uses the same e-mail account - yes, I only have one.

The data charges here are very high, so I do minimal browsing and tethering.

11. whatisinaname

whatisinaname
    Expand Collapse
    Hoping to be even a fraction of the man Jim is.

I've had a BB for years. I think I'm on my 7th. Everyone in my companies uses one. Recently a friend of mine showed me his Droid 2 on the same Verzion network as I have. Man, that thing is unreal.

He did a search at the same time I was doing one. He had the page loaded while mine was still blank with that stupid 0 to 100% bar at the bottom. He then sent me a text on that slide-out QWERTY keyboard while I sent him one. We did the same for emails. There was simply no comparison between my newest BB and his Droid 2.

I just got my newest BB in June, but I have multiple user's linked to my cell account for I can get a new Droid 2 for $199.00 with a two year contract simply by buying it under another number and then switching the device to my cell number. Otherwise, it would cost me $599.00. Once they can keep one in stock, I'm switching. BB is so, so far behind the curve, I doubt that anyone but government users will still have one in 18 to 24 months.

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad.

I'm quite happy with both, and the only site that I miss flash on is the NFL site and it's realtime game play animations.

I consider myself to be a power user, but really, absolutely love the seamless integration between the MAC OS and the iPhone/iPad/iPod.

Hell, I haven't even jailbroken my phone.

I can't think of anything that I'd want to do with the phone that I haven't been able to.

I also have yet to see any kind of Android or non-IOS app that makes me say "holy crap I need to have that phone instead".

Not saying it doesn't exist, or that the iPhone is the best out there, just that it does all that I want or need it to do, with a fair bit of fun/cool factor thrown in.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Maybe if this had been the theme for the WDT, it would've made 300 posts.

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a BB Pearl. I wanted something that combined my PDA and my phone, without looking like I was talking on a hamburger bun. The Pearl works perfect for what I need. I am looking forward to the new 3G Pearl that I've heard AT&T will be supporting in the next couple of weeks.

15. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I use a regular handheld, a Nokia 2730, and it's the worst piece of shit Nokia has ever made. I just can't rationalise buying a smartphone, even though I really, REALLY want the Galaxy S.

16. jordan_paul

jordan_paul
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Ive got a Blackberry Curve and I love it. It does everything I want, it makes phone calls, has good internet and texts. BBM is gay I never use it, I perfer to text anyways. It was eaither a BB or an iPhone, but I cant stand a touch screen. In the dark I like to be able to text, and once I got used to the BB keyboard, I can text and email just as fast as I could looking at the keyboard.

My BB is my first smart phone, before that I had a Chocolate 2 slider, an LG shine and then before that some piece of shit Solo Mobile Bell phone.

17. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Droid X.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I had another Android phone a year ago (can't remember which) and I returned it because it was such a pain in the ass. The most recent software update fixed all the issues I didn't like (e.g. having to hit 5 buttons to set my phone to vibrate, no way am I going to do that 3 times a day every time I go to class), and the huge screen is optimal for a touch-screen phone.

I like being able to check my email throughout the day because it frees me from having to open my laptop every few hours. GPS is a great feature because I hated having to write directions/addresses down every time I wanted to run out and do errands.

The only thing I miss about my old phone ($40 without contract, all it did was calls and texts) was that I could text faster with T9 than with Swype, and didn't need to look at my phone when texting the way I need to now (no tactile feedback). And, I actually have to be careful with my phone now, whereas my old one could withstand any abuse I put it through. Overall I think the two phones are not really comparable—they are different experiences. I definitely miss the simplicity of my shitty phone though.

18. Dr. Gonzo Esquire

Dr. Gonzo Esquire
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I have a regular Samsung flip phone. I got it because it was easy to use and I liked the design of the menu. I'm ready for an upgrade but that means smartphone because it seems there are very few middle-of-the-road phones on the market now. Most of the market is skewed to either low-end, i.e., very limited features, or high-end, i.e., smartphones. I'll probably end up getting a BlackBerry because I like the physical keyboard and the fact that bbm messaging is encrypted, however I don't like that browsing is so slow. On the other hand, the iPhone and Androids have awesome browsing but I hate the virtual keyboards. That and I hate AT&T so the iPhone is probably out of the question anyway.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I have to echo this, 100%. I use my phone strictly for calls. I don't even text. I understand that phones can do a lot of useful things, but I have a laptop that covers most of those bases. I'm on my sister and brother in law's family ATT family plan and it costs me 10 bucks a month. I don't have a job that necessitates that I be plugged in 24/7, so I opt for the bare minimum.

20. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I've got the T-Mobile version of the Galaxy S, the Vibrant.

I've only had it for a couple of weeks, but it's a huge upgrade from my 4-year-old RAZR. I resisted getting a smartphone for a long time because I didn't really think that I needed all of the features. I still don't think I need any of the features but they are fun to play with. I like t-mobile because they're cheap and the signal is good in the areas where I normally use my phone. Now that I'm more used to it, I can text just about as fast with swype as with t-9.