Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sleep Oddities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bundy Bear, Jan 6, 2010.

1. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Would you leave my husband out of your slapfight please? Sheesh.

2. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

3. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

One morning I got up and my housemate told me a story similar to this. At about 11pm at night when i'd been asleep for an hour already I've gotten out of bed put pants on started shaking him telling him we had to go to work. He looked at me told me that it was 11 at night i nodded pulled my pants back off and went to sleep again.

Some of the conversations I've had have been quite funny, same housemate was about to open the door and all he heard was come in, come in, come in. He asks me where his car keys are and I tell him they're in jupiter then he gets pissed and I point to his desk then lie back down.

My sleeping habits are all kinds of fucked up.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've done something extremely similar, drinking one night with the old man I passed out on the couch as i hadn't slept for around 50 hours. Rest of my siblings and a mate were sitting around playing some board game with dad when I got up walked into dads room and dropped my daks. Dad walks in to see me sitting on the end of his bed like I'm squatting, he yells at me what the fuck am I doing to which I reply nothing, pull pants up and walk outside to pee then go back to the couch and sleep for the rest of the night.

Another funny one was i used to be on the phone with my ex and she would fall asleep and then almost immediately start talking and you wouldn't even realise that she was asleep. Was very interesting as she used to tell me stuff she wouldn't normally tell me. Was how i found out she had gone and got her nipple pierced to surprise me.

5. Spoz

Spoz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I do the hypnic jerk thing as well, usually when Im trying to powernap. It's normally not a problem, but more than a few times I've nodded off during a lecture and my entire body has jerked, knocking things off my desk and at least once garnering the attention of the entire room.

My most bizarre sleep experiences have been dreams that later come true. I'll preface this by saying I don't believe in any paranormal activity or having subconscious access to higher dimensions, or anything like that.

I don't remember dreams the next morning, except for perhaps half a dozen in the last 10 years. A couple of these have been rediculous (one was flying an army helicopter through a warzone, another was having the worlds largest TV delivered to my house after somehow becoming rich). The dreams that later played out in reality were more mundane, but I remembered them in the morning regardless. The first time it happened, I dreamt I was sitting in a classroom, surrounded by a small group of my friends, and getting the result of a test. I wasnt pleased with the result and started screaming at my teacher. This dream occured before I even took that class, thus at the time I didn't know the classroom layout or which of my friends would be in it. About 18 months later I found myself living the first part of the dream, except the test result wasn't bad.

Sounds lame I know, but at the time it was like deja vu multiplied by a hundred. All I could think as the tests were being handed back was "Don't start yelling this time, just go talk to him after class". This has happened twice more with equally boring dreams. I assume its just my brain creating false memories to match what is happening in reality, but its still a very strange feeling.

6. Lakeshow

Lakeshow
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've had both of these, the second one happening at least 10-15 times, but again, they were usually nothing important, just conversations or random moments where I knew what was about to happen. I also tend to mumble or moan when I'm passing out, apparently it sounds like I'm getting ready to bust a nut. I've been known to sleepwalk when I'm drunk.

One of my old roommates would talk in his sleep almost every night, sometimes yelling things out. Eventually I'd start having random conversations with him while he was asleep just to see what crazy things I could get him to say.

7. hubadub6

hubadub6
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've had multi-night dreams that pick up right where they left off. Not the same dream over and over again, but a continual narrative from night to night. The best way I can describe it is that it's like watching mid-season episodes of The Wire for 3-5 nights straight--I know that what I'm dreaming is part of a story, but there's always a lot going on so I can't tie everything together.

Also, if I dream about soccer, I tend to kick things or do "headers" into the wall, which can be really painful.

8. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This has all been very enlightening, so many of these things that some people have but one or two of and I've had nearly all of them in spades.

Good to know that my random air while sleeping is called a Hypnic Jerk and I've had the multi night dreams as well as the recurring ones sometimes with slight differences. If I've been reading a particular book or series of books I'm quite often transpolanted into the story in my sleep.

I used to be in the New Zealand Air Force and when we did recruit training there was about 18 of us to a dorm style accomodation block. When the recruit instructor walked in whoever sawe him first yelled dorm and no matter what you were doing, be it naked or clothed, you stood to attention at the end of the bed. One particular night everyone was sleeping, I've screamed dorm at the top of my lungs and everyone bar me was at attention next to their bed for the next half hour. Needless to say some weren't impressed with me the next morning.

Look forward to reading more of the stories.

9. cllrbone11

cllrbone11
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I fell asleep in a lecture and woke myself with a moan that was quiet enough not to be heard by the entire class but loud enough to get me some weird looks and a pause from the teacher.

I will no longer post in this thread. I will no longer read this thread as I see things that I do/have done and feel the need to tell all of you. I apologize for wasting time.

10. OrangeAggie

OrangeAggie
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have a roommate that snores so incredibly loud that you can hear him on the other side of the house. It sounds like semis downshifting on the highway. I'm pretty sure he's destined to marry a deaf chick.

11. Idaho_Vandal

Idaho_Vandal
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Like many others on here i get the hypnic jerk pretty regularly. And like a few others here I get the occasional case of sleep paralysis. Though when I get it it is accompanied by pretty vivid hallucinations, stuff like my room being on fire or my parents desperately trying to wake me when I was a child. It's some pretty fucked up shit.

12. dchavok

dchavok
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

There are more than a few times that, while sleeping, I will end up with my hand down the pants of the girl I'm sleeping with. One girlfriend told me I was better at it when sleeping than when awake. I'm not sure if thats an insult or not.

A couple times, I'll fall asleep after watching a movie on my laptop or the tv. I'll turn them off and quickly fall asleep. I'll dream that I'm still doing that same activity and its like I'm awake. But then when I awake, I freak out because the tv/computer isn't on. This happened a few times with a couple computer games I used to play. I'd play until rather late in the morning, then pass out, but dream I was still in the middle of the game and wake up, frantically thinking I had fallen asleep mid-game and screwed something up.

13. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

I'm pretty sure I've been pissing out my bedroom window every couple of nights for I'm not sure how long. I began to notice signs after one night where I woke up and my window was inexplicably open. It was frozen. I just got up and closed it without really thinking about it in my half-sleep stupor, but the next morning I noticed yellow snow outside of my bedroom window. That reminded me of other times I had noticed it but just assumed it was an animal or something. I don't have any definitive proof yet but the signs do point towards it.

14. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get sleep paralysis all the time. I hate it. I know that if anything were to happen to my body or my breathing would be cut off I would wake up, but it doesn't change the fact that it's fucking freaky to be unable to move your body while your mind is awake.

However the weirdest sleep oddity for me is when I wake up from my bed in a dream. I go around doing nonsensical tasks and lie back down in my bed. When I wake up I sometimes think it actually happened until I start remembering that I was shooting lasers from my penis or riding turtles in the sky. Yeah, like I said, weird.

15. BeachBum21

BeachBum21
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Like a lot of you, I've experienced the hypnic jerk, too. I'm also a sleep-talker--or, I guess you could say, a sleep-moaner. I apparently moan constantly in my sleep-not like sexual moaning, but just random noises-I have no idea why. And I used to talk in my sleep, especially when I was young, but not so much anymore.

My roommate, however, sleep talks and sleep walks (the sleep walking only occurs when she's blackout drunk, however). She'll talk in her sleep every few nights--sometimes it's enough to have full-fledged conversations, sometimes she'll just say random words or phrases and then turn over and pass out again. One night I got up and turned on my computer because I couldn't sleep, and when the light from my screen came on, she turned over and said, "fucking asshole."

Twice in the two years I've lived with her, this same roommate sleep-walked. It always happens when she passes out, blackout drunk, and then wakes up a few hours later-usually around 3 or 4 AM-when I'm still awake. The second time, she got out of bed and started looking for clothes. I figured she was cold, but then she pulled on a pair of jeans, and kept asking where her sweatshirt was, so I threw her one of mine and she put it on and walked out of the room and down the hall to the living room. 30 seconds later, she comes back in the room and looks at me and just says, "I thought you said there was someone out there." I, having no idea what she's talking about, look at her and say "What are you talking about?" At this point, she gets all frustrated and, with an annoyed look on her face, says, "I thought there was someone for me to evaluate!" (She's an Athletic Training major, so she thought that there was someone in our living room, at 4 AM, for her to evaluate for injuries.) I just started laughing at her and she just got back in bed, still in jeans and my sweatshirt, and passed out. The next morning, she wakes up and looks at me with this confused look on her face, and says, "Why am I wearing jeans and your sweatshirt?" She had no memory of the night before, and I had to explain everything to her. The look on her face? Priceless.

16. john_b

john_b
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't even like me touching me (let the jokes commence). I need something between my arms/legs or they can't touch my torso. That means if I'm trying to sleep on either side, I have blankets or a body pillow in between my arms and legs. If I'm on my stomach or back, I have my arms and legs spread out.

My freshman roommate in college slept like a corpse/vampire. He laid flat on his back on top of the covers, crossed his arms over his chest, and slept. He never moved, he never snored. It was like he was dead. Fucking creepy.

17. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have a friend who almost exclusively sleeps without blankets, sitting cross-legged, with his arms crossed over his chest, and his forehead almost touching his shins. It's the most bizarre fucking thing I've ever seen.

18. DAMAGGOT

DAMAGGOT
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I have slept walked since I was little, like a few others in this thread I too have thought I saw a spider on my pillow. One time with this happening I had actually "woke up" with all of my clothes and a dresser drug into the kitchen, I slept on the couch that night then put everything back the next day.

Other than that I have woke up yelling at roomates/parents/animals, one night when I was in middle school I woke up crying and yelling at my mother, I had no idea why and apologized but she wouldn't accept the apology. To this day I don't know what I was yelling or why.

19. Lasersailor

Lasersailor
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

What I do sometimes is a little hard to explain. I wake up, but I'm still in the middle of a dream. The dream is everything I see around me, but nothing is right. Something happens which jolts me out of it. It's sort of like sleepwalking, but you're awake and reality is off.

For example, I want on an architecture trip to Chicago (read: School Sanctioned Drinking Event). There were 4 of us per room. One morning, I wake up, and it's bright outside. I look at the clock, and it read 9:30. We were late. I frantically get up, and start to wake up the other guys. One of them yells at me, "HEY! Look at the fucking clock!"

I look over again, and it says 4:45. And it's dark outside. And dark in the room. I was definitely confused, until I remember this happens to me a lot. Most of the time when I'm in a unfamiliar place.

20. deltabelle

deltabelle
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Oh boy, where do I begin...

I don't usually sleep talk, but if you catch me right as I'm drifting off to sleep, I will have some bullshit conversations with you. I went into a whole rant about how deep fried baby Fallopian tube soup is delicious one night while talking to the boyfriend in bed. I'll also answer nonsense first thing in the morning. Last month, I was asked what time I wanted the alarm set for as bellaboyfriend was headed out the door to work. My answer? "Triceratops." Somehow I don't think my phone has a Cretaceous setting.

I also (rarely) sleepwalk. I've told this story on the old board, but while at Christian camp as a kid, I tried crawling in bed with my counselor at night. I got some pretty suspicious looks from the rest of the campers after that. And believe me, there were no sexual undertones to that decision, subliminal or not. The girl looked like a St. Bernard.

I grind my teeth. Not in the normal way either. Mine make a horrific high pitch screech that people have compared to, at different times: nails on a chalkboard, mice in pain, or an Audubon bird call. It's done permanent damage to my right canine tooth, and my jaw is so fucked up that I've been told to go get facial PT, although I haven't done it yet. I get to sleep with a nightguard that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    which just turns guys on like you wouldn't believe.

The most fun one is that I have hypersomnia. Basically, my brain never registers that I've had enough sleep. For some reason, that part of my brain seems to have some sort of funky synapses, and so that signal doesn't transmit. I take stimulants for it now (Provigil, because anything stronger would turn me into a manic freak- thanks brain chemistry!), but before I got diagnosed, I was sleeping up to twenty hours a day, and I was tired during any of the time I was awake. People knew that I wasn't just a lazy bum, and I was tested for sleep apnea and narcolepsy, so we were able to rule everything else out. I know people are going to try to chalk this up as another quack diagnosis, but anyone who knows me will verify that it was a huge issue before I got the medication right.

So in summary, I'm pretty sure I have the most fucked-up sleep of anyone I know.