Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Signs You're Getting Older

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by happyfunball, Jul 13, 2013.

1. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

This may have been done a while ago, but I read this article and thought it may be worth doing again since the board is, well, aging.

30 Signs You're Almost 30, or ahem, Older

I am definitely guilty of #9 and actually use a moisturizer with sunscreen built right into it! And I also stay out of the sun as much as humanly possibly. Which might explain why my Vitamin D is low and why I am just as pale mid-July as when summer first started. I try to balance it out with self-tanner, except I bought some that was also a bronzer and at first I couldn't figure out why my legs were sparkling when I went outside. I don't use it anymore. On the upside, the pharmacist I worked with the other day thought I was 25. 25! I told him he was now my favorite pharmacist. Which means absolutely nothing.

And also #26.

This seemed appropriate for this thread:

Attached Files:

2. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

3. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will turn 28 next month. The two on the list that I have experienced that are the worst are numbers 15 (Taco Bell) and 18 (the 2 day hangover), though both of those started more in my early 20s.

I also see number 2 almost every day, unfortunately. I can't believe how many people I went to high school with have already gotten married (to each other!) and had kids. The glory years might be gone but I think that we should all have at least a few more years without those responsibilities.

4. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I need Tums now like a motherfucker and I regularly experience two day hang overs from drinking about 60% of how I used to (the dog sliding down the stairs cracks me up every time). I am still one that likes to go to crowded loud bars over chilling at a place with nobody at it.

I got a serious dose of #5 last month when a college buddy called and I realized it was exactly ten years ago we were in freshman college orientation. Fuck. My ten year high school reunion is tonight and Ill be seeing all the people Ive seen actually move into adulthood, and some that haven't, instead of just seeing facebook updates. I don't really know how to feel. It's nice not having large obligations, kids, mortgages, etc. I am far from what I would have liked to have been career/life wise at this point but I am still as unsure of what that means now as I was 10 years ago. Ill be 29 in exactly 2 months.

5. Hoosiermess

Hoosiermess
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll be 36 next month and the number of things on that list that apply are appalling and frankly, frightening. I still drink far too much but my body hates me for it. One thing not on that list that should be is losing the ability to sleep through the night without getting up to piss. I really miss that.

Even if I'm truly not growing up, and I'm not, I am getting older and that's half depressing but at least I've got about 34 years left until I can collect social security... That's a good thing right? At least I'm old enough to be the boss and cut out early for drinks. Gotta get started early to make it to bed by 8PM.

6. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I yanked out a grey pube last month. Fuck all of you.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm way thinner and healthier now (age 30) and even bounce back from drinking better than in my twenties, but mother of shit do I value sleep SO much more than I ever did before. It's incredibly common for me to turn in at like 9:30 PM, even on the weekends sometimes.

Boozing has barely even slowed down though, it just starts earlier and ends earlier. I honestly think the majority of the effects of partying on me were caused by sleep deprivation rather than booze.

8. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I turn 30 tomorrow and while I can still do Taco Bell at 3am and usually kick a hangover by 3pm the following day, I have noticed that everything hurts entirely more than it used too.

Tried playing some pickup basketball last week and it felt like my knees had gravel in them, if I could go back to high school I wouldn't have played sports, didn't get anything out of it except joint pain.

9. happyfunball

happyfunball
    Expand Collapse
    overly defenCive stuffed cougar

I would just like to be able to sleep. The past two weeks have been particularly awful. And if I'm out and know I'm driving, I can't have more than 1 drink and I need at least a couple of hours for it to wear off.

10. McSmallstuff

McSmallstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everything hurts, but that has been true since my early 20s. Teen slang is stupid now, it was stupid when I was a teen. Its not my fault the music people are making these days is unlistenable so I don't listen to the radio therefore I don't know many new artists. In other news get off my lawn.

11. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

So did I. Out of the boyfriend. Heh. Apparently "that isn't an acceptable way to wake someone up".

I'm aging like an Asian, that is to say, not visibly. My hair is still all dark without the introduction of hair dye, I have a few laugh lines but no visible wrinkles to speak of, my skin has good tone to it. But my memory, which has always been shit, is getting worse over time, my joints are starting to fuck with me, and, though I don't need glasses, I no longer like driving at night because of all the lights. I don't know who half the people in popular culture are anymore, and my car stereo is permanently set to the "classic rock" station which plays stuff that I actually recognize. Oh, and I had a conversation a few days ago where I referred to myself as "having all but a few remaining childbearing years".

12. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The main thing that has changed for me is that I hate being out late. Any time after happy hour, I would rather just be at home. I really hate loud music and crowded bars. I also really like daytime drinking. There is nothing like having a bloody marry at 10am, and then binging until 5pm. I then head home, eat dinner, drink some water, sober up and get to bed by 10. Sleep for a full eight hours, and I'm ready to go!

A few years back I fell in love with the craft beer movement, and spend shit tons more on booze now than I did back in the day. I've acquired a few bottles of beer that cost more than a keg of natty.

I usually block people with kids on facebook. I could give a shit less what your kids are doing.

13. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want to say the same thing but I think this might be tied directly to the high amount of caffeine I drink during the day. I dont keep track but it is a lot to sort of a lot during the day. In the past few months Ive had to get up 2-3 times a night to piss. Maybe I got the the beetus. Another sad fact is that not two years ago I could go three or four rounds of sex in a night. With the girl I was hooking up with the past month and a half I am down to one go a night and a beej in the morning.

Normally I would be complaining about my crooked old mans back but Ive been on such a good role at the gym for the past 7-8 months that I am almost entirely pain free.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

It's crazy how lifting weights improves pain. I've had chronic back pain since highschool and that is the only thing that helps. My orthopedic doctor can go suck a dick.

I know I am quite a bit younger than most of you guys, but I am a total old lady. I go to bed between 8-10pm, wake up at 6, buy my fiber cereal and breads, don't really booze it up anymore, don't really know how to operate a smart phone...the list goes on. Also: too many babies on facebook. I realize I am biased because I like seeing my sister's kids but I don't give one piece of fuckity fuck about anyone else's. Get your skinny blond Aryan churrins out of my face.

Oh, and I found my first gray hair a couple years ago. I found it again yesterday...it is about 3" long and silver. It didn't make me cry this time! I call that a win.

15. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've entered that glorious phase of life when it actually hurts to sleep. Even when I can "sleep in", if I stay in bed longer than about 8 hours, or get up past 8:30 or so, I'm stiff and sore, sometimes to the point where I actually wake up from being sore.

And No. 17. Definitely. As much I want to do shit like go to baseball games, out to dinner, to neighborhod parties, or to play golf (all upcoming or recent activities) I dread actually doing them, as if all of this is just more shit I hvae to slog through when I'd rather be home relaxing. Of course, once I actually do any of these things, I have such a great time I can't remember why i was so wound up about doing them in the first place.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got my first grey hairs at 27. Now I have grey chest hairs, and that's freaking me out.

I'm 32, and I don't need glasses yet (which is surprising, considering my parents both had glasses by high school) but driving at night is becoming very difficult.

A few months ago, I looked like I was in my late 30s, fat, old, ugh. I couldn't sleep more than an hour without tossing and turning. My joints hurt. I've been working out like crazy since I got here, and I look younger than I am, I sleep through the night and wake up rested, and I don't have joint pain anymore.

17. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

I feel I should say that numbers 11, 13, 26, and 29 are less about being young and more about not being poor. Also, I'd say #15 has more to do with your normal diet; I know when I'm actually eating clean I can't stand shit like Taco Bell, but if I fall off the wagon and go back to eating like shit, greasy fast food doesn't give me problems.

18. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The great thing about Asian women is that typically, they look the same from their mid 20's to their 50's. As soon as they hit their 60's, they look like a melted candle. My mom is going to visit me one day and I'm pretty sure I won't recognize her.

Since I'm only half, it stands to reason that I'd look a few years younger than the 31 I am. I don't. I've officially reached salt and pepper status in my hair and was dismayed to find a gray beard hair. I'm bad at math and I look older than 31. I'm bad at stereotypes. As far as the list goes, most of those could have applied to me in my 20's. Young people make me grind my teeth. I can't even enjoy the stuff I enjoyed as a kid anymore without being reminded how fucking old it is.

19. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You hit most of these a lot earlier if you're just a grumpy motherfucker.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get a job, hippie.