Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sign Me Up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've just run across a TV show I've never seen before called Top Shot. The premise is pretty simple, in that they bring together a group of marksmen and then subject them to a bunch of different competitions using various weapons that they may not have had any experience with. This included old time flint locks, knife throwing, long bows, old-school revolvers like the Peacemaker, trick shooting, and on and on. They'd bring in an expert for each of these different specialties, provide some basic instruction and practice time, and then would run a team-based competition.

The losers of the team competition would then vote for two of their team members to have one final individual competition to see who leaves.

Watching the show made me want to do something like that. Not necessarily on the show or anything, but just go and have some friendly competition in that kind of format.

Just to be exposed to something new and different like that, in a fun, competitive environment, would be a huge rush.

FOCUS: What existing competition (televised or not) would you like to try? What are the realistic odds of you actually doing it? Is it something you've got experience in or something totally new to you?

ALT-FOCUS: What have you done that would make for a good television competition?

2. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd love to try The Amazing Race, for no better reason than my lack of directional skill would make for hilarious television. As far as it ever happening, never. My cousin put together a tape and everything for a tryout and didn't get so much as a response. I don't need that hassle.

3. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Amazing Race is one that I would like to try too. I just know I would get stuck eating something like a goats head(being a vegetarian) like they had on the last season.

I would also like to try Wipeout. That just looks fun as hell and I think I could make it to the final as the show is mostly about balance.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If Survivor was more about survivor skills and less about retarded drama, I think I could handle myself pretty well. My dad sent me to the Tom Brown tracking school for a few weeks when I was 19 and I learned a lot of great stuff on top of what I had learned as an eagle scout. I wouldn't hold up well against a SEAL or something, but I think I could outlast average citizens pretty well.

5. taste_my_rainbow

taste_my_rainbow
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love this show... I didn't miss a single episode of the first season and I'm glad it's back on.

Focus: I'd love to be on one of the baking competition shows. In reality, I don't like to be rushed but I can bake like nobody's business.

6. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I already mess around some with competitive rifle shooting and to make up for not attending any matches last summer (due to work), I'm going to push myself to compete in as many different disciplines this summer as I feasibly can with my rifles. I'm already set up and competent at rimfire benchrest shooting, but ideally I'll pick up NRA smallbore prone (or even 3P), NRA smallbore silhouette, and F-class (600 yards, centerfire, prone with rests). Those four competitions cover virtually everything (short to long range, iron sights to massive scopes, bench to belly shooting), so I should come out with a lot more experience than just shooting rimfire benchrest.

If anything, more competition means more excuses to go shooting and upgrade my pieces (and will hopefully increase awareness and interest in my business and I only shoot with rifles I make).

Top Shot is one of the few TV shows I'll make time to watch. I guarantee the challenges are way harder than the competitors make them look.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I would so love to be on that. One of the things I take a little internal pride on is that I have pretty good aim with projectiles.

Apart from that Wipeout would be awesome. Actually, I just want an obstacle course like that in the backyard so I can invite friends over for a BBQ and watch the hilarity.

And I can't watch Ultimate Fighter without wishing I was younger, with a non-busted body. It all looks so easy from an armchair.

8. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the same thing, except I am younger(ish), but horribly nonathletic. I honestly think the worst part of that show would be trying to sleep in that fucking house with all the idiots partying around you. I always find myself screaming at the tv "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU UP DRINKING? GO TO BED, YOU'RE DREAM JOB IS ON THE LINE YOU MORON"

9. ASL

ASL
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I would love to be in the Red Bull air races, or race motorcycles.
    Red Bull will never happen, racing motorcycles is feasible but hugely unlikely.

Amazing Race would definitely be a lot of fun, too.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would just pick everyone off with a dart blowgun from the tree line one by one. After the karari poison has paralyzed them, I'll drag them out to sea and let them slip into the dark of the ocean floor, taunting screaming "WHO'S THE "SURVIVOR" NOW, BITCHES!?!!" then I'd tongue-kiss Amber.

Actually, I'd do either Wipeout! or Crashed Ice (they just had tryouts in my town, on a fucking WEEKDAY). I move like a motherfucker and both involve a lot of pain, something I have a high tolerance for.

11. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

If I were considerably younger, I would be trying out for Ninja Warrior. I love watching the serious competitors go through the course. When they get to the third level and it is all about upper body strength, you can just feel the fatigue setting in.

Now, give me the Westminster Dog show for a competition that I could actually compete in.

12. Judas

Judas
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I like to think I could definitely win Wipeout if put on that show. Some of the contestants on that show are so horrible, it makes me think a slight sense of balance would win you whatever prize money (50k? I've forgotten.)

13. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ironman Triathlon. This would be the absolute ultimate in physical achievement in my mind. I would love to complete just one of the qualifying heats of this feat of man. It's a 2.4mi swim, 112mi bike, and a marathon (26.2mi) run resulting in 140.6 miles of pure physical ability and exhaustion. 140.6 MILES!! Of exercise!! IN ONE DAY!!! And the championship is in Hawaii and you race on a volcano. It's a goddamn 140 mile race on top of a fucking volcano!!!!
    They also offer the 70.3 series, which is basically half of those three events resulting in 70.3 miles of pain and torture, but it's still only half...

And that Ninja Warrior would be pretty awesome to try too...just as a warmup for the Ironman.

14. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My son and daughter are trying to convince me to try out with them for "Hole in the Wall" on Nickelodeon.

I don't think they are old enough, so hopefully it will be off the air before they meet the age restrictions.

I had an archery class at my college last semester, and I wouldn't mind trying an archery competition. It was a lot of fun doing that.

15. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Uhh, what kind of show is that? Is it some pedophile game.

16. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Fuck it, I would school anyones ass on the old Nickelodeon show G.U.T.S. I wanted a piece of the Agrocrag so bad.

17. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you usually have to be 18 before doing that sort of stuff on camera.

18. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's this, ya frickin' perv.

19. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

I used to horseback ride, and it's still a dream of mine to compete in one of those super snobby horse shows. Not the ones in the ring, they're pretty boring, but where you race through those beautiful courses in the countryside and you have to jump over streams and logs and stuff. They were always the epitome of why the sport/hobby appealed to me in my little hippie "I love nature!!!" ways.

And I'm going to be the first one to bring it to nerdville. (I'm going to start by using the word "nerdville.") I've always secretly wanted to go on Jeopardy. I'm not a genius, but they always seem to cater to the type of knowledge I'm really good at retaining. But the tryout process is not worth it to bother. Here's the full rundown, but basically you have to pass an online test, then maybe you get to go to an in-person test/competition (in L.A, and they don't pay for travel), then you're in a pool of "active applicants" for 18 months and then maybe you get called for a "personality interview" and then maybe you get on the show. Also, I'm pretty sure I'd become so crippled with anxiety from being on national TV that I'd forget my own name, let alone all of that trivia.

20. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of Jeopardy, they had two of the all time winners on tonight going up against that new Watson computer from IBM. It fucked up the final answer, but still kicked the shit out of the humans.