Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shut the fuck up old man.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Fawkes, Mar 9, 2011.

1. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

I'm not referencing your elders' use of the word. I'm talking about people our age.

You have a habit of twisting my words/point.

2. Solaris

Solaris
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You people are bickering over nothing.

As a younger lad I took my older relatives for granted, now they've all died from alcoholism and cancers I feel very bad for it. As a young man now I would love to have a grandfather to talk things over with without having to self-censor somewhat as I do with my parents.

The way I see it, Old people have worked all their fucking life, been through all kinds of troubles, made all kinds of mistakes and sucesses. They've had plenty of time to learn what is important and what is not. So until an old person proves otherwise, I treat them with the respect they deserve. Or at least try too, I don't get to meet as many as I'd like.

3. LatinGroove

LatinGroove
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was taught to follow this mantra as a child from different sources. While I am eternally grateful to each person I've met as they had a profound effect on who I turned out to be, a lot of the people who taught me this I have zero respect for.

I'm not telling you how to live your life but I've found it easier and better not to do things or give people something blindly because you've been indoctrinated to do so as a child. Some people are absolutely worthy of that respect, while others, not so much.

I've got to say I disagree with your view and I will tell you why. To me treating someone with basic consideration and politeness is being courteous. When you think of respect, you don't think of holding someone in high esteem? I sure do.

For example, several of my professors I have no respect for. We are taught to value them and respect them because of their position and the amount of knowledge they possess. Despite this several of them just stood up and "taught" off the slides and book and just regurgitated a bunch of information and called it a lesson. Is this really worthy of respect?

4. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I respectfully disagree. Oh, wait...

5. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a few years there will be some young punks telling us how it "is." We probably won't be as savvy to modern concepts, just as many seniors today. I hope someone teaches these kids to appreciate my addled ass and ideas.

I try to treat others the way I expect to be treated. It's not perfect but it's simple.

6. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Surveys of the Millenials (the aforementioned generation "ME") show that the percentage of them that regard being a good parent as one of the most important things in life is 10% higher (52% vs 42%) than it was for Generation X when they were surveyed at the same age (I'm guessing the Boomers were hovering somewhere near 0%).

So yeah, we have lower crime rates, drug abuse rates, teen pregnancy rates, higher education rates and rates of acceptance of fellow human beings, and a greater sense of both civic and personal responsibility. So can you old fossils please turn to oil soon because you somehow managed to burn a sizable percentage of the Earth's entire supply.

7. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I love how these little altruistic student types still believe stats mean anything. That's so cute.

9. Politik

Politik
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Solution: condescend to them and crush their youthful spirits.

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Solution: Shut the fuck up and stay off my lawn. You're not as important as you think you are.

11. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I love how your definition of youthful spirit is analyzing statistics.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I suppose when using Boomers as a reference, merely "not acting to the detriment of everyone around you" can look like altruism.

13. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds like someone needs a nap.

14. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, if you can come up with a foolproof method of keeping your kid away from the internet, cell phones, cars and other technology, that doesn't involve locking his ass in a basement like a fucking animal, I'll concede this point. Until then, think twice before loading up your shit cannon with garbage like this. It's 2011. Kids, whether you like it or not, are going to have access to the internet, cell phones, and all that other shit, just like me and my folks before me got access to drugs, liquor and condoms. They're going to be affected in countless different ways because of their exposure. The kicker is that there isn't a magic catch-all that prevents this shit, and keeping your kid away from all these things can do just as much damage as allowing him to do whatever he pleases. Tread the middle ground, and understand that each and every individual is to be treated on a case by case basis, and good parenting revolves around rolling with the punches and adapting to new situations, technology, and attitudes.

This shit isn't cut and paste, and this "fuck all the parents" attitude is tired and retarded.

15. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have relatives who have made me absolutely despise old people at times.

The only good piece of advice I ever got from my grandfather: "Work! Work! Hard work! That's all life is!"

This in the middle of a 45 minute lecture about shutting the light off when you leave the room.

16. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The earthquake in Japan sped up the earth's rotation by 1.8 milliseconds every day. Old people, the earth is trying to tell you to hurry up and die.

17. Chellie

Chellie
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

With the 'today's parents' debate, have you ever noticed the fact that a huge percentage of today's parents aren't their kids primary caregivers? I know a great many single moms (myself included) who are devastated by the fact their children's teachers and day care providers are spending more time with their kids than they are. I know a lot of single dads who have no impact on how their kids are raised because a judge said 'every other weekend' and their ex is too much of a cunt to allow more.

Parents aren't the people raising their kids. I have primary custody of my children and I get to spend maybe 3 hours a day with them. That 'time' is 'spent' while I'm making dinner and lunches and giving baths and doing homework. My kids show a basic level of courtesy because I will beat their asses otherwise, and they are still young enough that my word is inviolate, but how long can I keep up the damage control on what they're learning elsewhere? There will always be snotty shit kids in their classrooms and adults they see acting like douchebags, and kids see that more often than they see their own parents.

18. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is something I deal with as well. I'm working 60 odd hours a week, making ends meet, and Dad's overseas right now, but when he's home he's only a once a month influence on the kids. Currently, and thank God for it, my boys have some pretty rockin' male role models in their lives. Their baseball coaches are fantastic, and My Guy is all about being a positive influence on their lives. Manners, boundaries, and expectations are all things we stress with them. None of that changes the reality that I don't get home until nearly 9 p.m. every day though. And it sucks. All *I* can do right now is demand their best and make sure that giving anything less isn't worth it in their minds.

19. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And 20 years from now, they'll end up posting something like, "Why are we supposed to automatically respect our elders?" on an internet message board.

Courtesy should be learned for it's own sake (and in the process, helps to build character), not for fear of reprisal.

20. Devils Advocate

Devils Advocate
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I am not saying lock them up in a fucking basement. I am saying try being a fucking parent, and limit their damn access. Parents have started creating monsters at a very young age in this generation. The 8 year old walking around with their own cellphone, and has their own computer sitting in their room is completely un-called for. Instead of actually spending quality time with their children after dinner, parents are handing them a nintendo ds or an xbox controller. Instead of doing homework with them, the parent is glued to their own laptop screen, or checking their emails on their blackberry. It used to be that the parent taught the child how to read, now it is the school system. Try knowing who your child's friends are, and their friends' parents. Don't just drop them off at school, and then vanish into your own fucking world. I bet you most of the kids' teachers know the kids better than the parents do.
    I am not going to even go into how children behave in stores. I know how they fucking behave in my own office. Whoever, rep'ed me about bringing the belt back. I completely agree. If proper discipline was involved it would make a huge difference.

You want to go older? Let's talk about the 16 year old girl that got a 2011 Camaro for her birthday. She has no fucking job, spends her time texting, shopping, and has not one ounce of responsibility. Oh yeah, that is awesome parenting right there. Then the parent is going to have the fucking nerve to bitch about when she gets knocked up.

I don't know about your high school, but my high school had a nursery in it. In fact, every single high school in my county had a nursery in it. Now, most of the high schools in the state have nursery's at it. Not for the staff's children, for the student's children. Oh yeah, it sure looks like the parenting skills are just fucking awesome.

I understand that this case is not for everyone, but it sure as hell looks like a majority. I'm sorry if I offended you, if you are a good parent. I am also sorry if you are just protective of your parents.