Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shit you should know

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Revengeofthenerds, Apr 23, 2017.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've never heard that. I just used a couple drops of dishwashing soap in the solution. I am fairly confident that it was the vinegar doing the damage.

Guess I'll stick to what I know, which is neem, marigolds, egg shells, and coffee grounds.

2. MobyDuk

MobyDuk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Another use for vinegar is to clean corrosion or rust off your grungy old tools (no, not that tool). Submerge the tools in a 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 water to vinegar solution. Warning - use a disposible container and oil the tools afterward.

3. Esian

Esian
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

It was definitely the vinegar. Heavily diluted dish soap makes a fine insecticide for many pests on plants.

4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Also, ducks work exceeding well. I'm currently running at about $10 a month to feed half a dozen of them. Haven't bought eggs in I forget how long. It's mosquito season here, but there isn't one within several acres of us (there also aren't any bugs, frogs, or lizards period within a few acres of us).

Just buy a few ducks from tractor supply, let them eat all the bugs around your garden, then when gardening season is done eat the ducks. Rinse and repeat.

5. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Yes, I was gonna say that my family has used dishsoap like that for years without adverse effects. A strong undiluted detergent would probably have the effects Juice described though.

6. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use this home made bug spray in my yard and on my veggies and it works beautifully:

Place one pack of chewing tobacco in an old nylon sock or some cheese cloth and soak it overnight in one gallon of water. After that has fermented add one cup of Dawn dish washing liquid and one cup of Listerine mouthwash. Fill a hose end sprayer and set it to about 4-5 oz and spray away. Super cheap, makes a ton, and works great. I would never spray vinegar on anything you want to keep in any quantity. Vinegar is mostly used in the garden as a weed killer.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Does the vinegar kill those awful devil's thorns with the huge starchy roots that are found everywhere around here? Roundup doesn't touch that shit.

8. E. Tuffmen

E. Tuffmen
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not sure about the weeds you mention, but I am plagued by something similar. On those I use ground clear concetrate by spectracide Works great for a couple of months.

9. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm reviving this old thread because something a person should have known but did not nearly burnt my house down.

Extension cords, do not shop for them basing your decision to purchase soley on the lowest price. Buy the cord that is rated for at least as many amps as the breaker that is in the circuit. You got a 20 amp breaker, you need at least a 20 amp cord. Higher amp extension cords are much more expensive than light duty crap only fit to power a lamp.

Because someone, probably years ago, bought the cheapest, light-duty cord they could find and used it to ad an outlet in my basement, it nearly caught fire just trying to run my big mitre saw. Melted the cord within seconds of starting my cut.