Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rei, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Allord

Allord
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

The Nightmares of children with a 30" Dildo
    Re: TiB Tips and Tricks

10 razors = $1.59
    1 razors = $0.159
    average month length >= 30 days (fuck you, February)
    30 x $0.159 = $4.77

Hmmm...$4.77 < $3.00 ?

Oh wait, Zyron is right! If he's a math major he can afford a gun!

10 razors + has a fucking gun = $0
    1 razors = $0
    30 x $0 = $0
    $0.00 < $3.00!

But that's irrelevant, real men shave with a porcupine.

Focus: (whatever it is) I generally maintain stubble, but can pull off a goatee, sideburns, or a shaggy beard. I can't really do mustaches because I have random patches of blonde hair in my mustache that make it look patchy from a distance.

I usually use electric shears to maintain stubble. I used to shave with my swiss army knife blade, but my new knife just doesn't hold an edge as sharp as my last one. I once tried shaving with the tiny scissors attachment. Never again. The longest, slowest shave of my life with almost as much flesh left in the basin as sheared hair.

2. magz

magz
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I stumbled across this link on an automotive forum I frequent, and felt like it was worth sharing. I present to you, the Dollar Shave Club:

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Basically the company teamed up with an unnamed blade manufacturer and offers a razor and blades for either $1 (double blades), $6 (four blades), or $9 (six blades) a month shipped. You can upgrade and downgrade any time you like. Click the link for pics of the actual razors offered.

I am close to running out of my Gillettes, and originally I was going to give the old school DE razor a shot after reading this thread. However, I figure what the hell? I am going to sign up. If it sucks, I am only out a few bucks. I will try to remember to report back once I receive my first shipment.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm not coming back to the cartridge world anytime soon, but the video on the front page has to be about the funniest piece of advertising I've ever seen.

4. Diablo

Diablo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm going to revive this to announce that I am now a member of the straight razor fan club. I went to the Tonsorial Parlor this morning for a haircut and shave. The owner, a Master Tonsorialist, explained every aspect of his work to me before performing his art. The cut and shave took about two hours to include educating me. I was surprised at his precision, and how bad/thin my skin is...I bled quite a bit, but he knew how to handle it. All in all, my haircut is fantastic, and I have a real mans shave, no more shitty electric razors for me. Even 12 hours later when my stubble would start to show, my face is as smooth as a whistle, and i went out and bought a bunch of stuff to use at home.

I highly recommend this to anyone who has the means...it was a fantastic experience.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ive been thinking of reviving the the thread as well, should be a permanent thread for easier access. I have picked up a tube of CO Bigelow and the 31 blade sample set from West Coast shaving. First, the Bigelow product creates a great lather, I use it with VDH shave soap as well that makes it luxuriously thick. I really don't care about the scent but the menthol does punch it up a notch in the over all feeling of the shave.

As for the blades. Ive tried maybe three or four different ones. I really need to come up with a proper rating system to keep track. So far Murker blades and the Isreali ones have been great.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've used both the Merkur and Feather DE razor blades.

Murker was what I used first and I got a pretty solid shave with it with no razor burn. Then I bought a pack of 100 Feather blades from ebay for $29 total (in case anyone is wondering how much these accessories cost). I had some issues with the Feather blades at first because apparently I have ingrown hairs on my legs and the razors are so very very sharp, but I took a pumice stone and went after it. It was a drastic move on my part but it worked, and now I get silky smooth results.