Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rei, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: TiB Tips and Tricks

Correct. My own razor has both sides exposed, however. Some DE razors only show one side so that you can dull that edge and then switch it around without worrying about forgetting which side you shaved with before, others have both sides exposed. It's a matter of personal preference.

If you have one that exposes both sides, I suggest marking one side with a permanent marker (I used a little bit of solder to mark mine) "I shaved with the marked side yesterday, so I'll shave with the unmarked side today."

Most DE razors actually last a while; I just happen to like having a new blade, and they're cheap enough that I can afford using a new blade every time. You can conceivably use the same side of the blade 3-4 times before it's too dull to actually use. In that case, you'll go through a blade in a little over a week... that's less than a quarter per week for shaving. DE shaving turns shaving from expensive to negligible.

2. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use both sides each shave because I'm ignorant, and get about a week out of a blade.
    Considering my fairly good blades (Astra Platinum) cost $24 for 100 blades (actually on sale right now for $16), two years of blades for around the same as a good meal seems pretty good for me

AS for other blades, I find Feather are the sharpest and give generally the best shave, but they don't last as long (2-3 shaves) - and they're also $1 a blade, so screw that, I stick with Astra (except at Christmas when my grandparents invariably give me a ten pack of Wilkensen Sword, which are good too)

3. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think a lot of you guys have a bad time because your technique is bad.

Soak your stubble with hot water thoroughly. Lather in circles, really get in there. Shave with the blade, not against, and with the stubble not upside down. Then rinse in really cold water. That last part is the kicker. I do this before I shower because soap on my face usually helps any irritation and gets off all the shaving foam. Actually, try Gold Bond's 7 ingredient Aloe moisturizer too. Shit is tits. Also, if you're like me, your biggest mistake is using the same razor head for a couple months until you're hacking at the hair.

Stay with me here. I've been using a ladies Venus razor. Last time my Schick ran out of heads, there this thing was in the wrapper under the sink. That thing works better than any Mach 3 or Gilette 16 blade out there. No. Shit. You ladies must have some razor wire hair because that blade cuts like butter. Last Mach 3 went dull after 1 use and didn't even do the job right. Not so with the Venus.

Definitely in the market for a DE.

4. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

For the men out there who use the DE safety razors, what kind of safety razor handle do you use? I went to Wal Mart and they only had one brand of DE razors and they were dirt cheap (10 for $1.62), but no actual handles were there for sale. I've been looking online and am overwhelmed by the choices.

5. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Same here (but with a mirror) and I don't see how a DE razor could be any better. No razor burn, smooth as a babies ass and since I've shaving when the hair is nice and soft, a disposable blade cartridge lasts me at least a month. I don't even use shaving cream/gel/lotion, I just use whatever body wash is in the shower.

My brother (who has the facial hair of a 13 y/o) swears by his DE though

6. sartirious

sartirious
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

You can't go wrong with a Merkur Barber Pole, and they're available at Amazom

7. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I use the Merkur 34C Heavy Duty or Hefty Classic depending on where you look, also available on amazon, for $40, and Merkur blades. I think I am safe in saying and Merkur DE will be fine.

I like the 34C because it is very heavy and solid in your hand.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.classicshaving.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.classicshaving.com</a> isn't a bad place to look, either.

8. Renholder

Renholder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Fuck, this is the only reason I don't like having a beard; I actually like to shave. But with as manly as a beard that I can grow it would be a sin to not wear it proudly.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

What do the numbers mean? ##C or whatnot. I see them but don't understand what I'm looking at.

10. Uno

Uno
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I believe it is just the model number for the razor, and has no special meaning. Most sites will list the size and weight of the razor, anyways.

11. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Frankly, the options do not matter. At all. It's very easy to get overwhelmed by the choices, but I suggest getting an older used one. Pretty much anything made by Gillette is good, as is Merkur.

I got my own for seven bucks on Ebay, and it's worked very well for me.

Once you get the technique down and start figuring out exactly what you want, you can start trying other things.

I personally suggest buying an old one; if you decide that it's nice but not good enough, you can splurge on getting a really nice one. You'll find that the blades are much more important than the razor itself.

12. Stimpson J Cat

Stimpson J Cat
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

For all you guys who do the whole lather-brush-shave-rinse-aftershave routine, how long do you spend each morning shaving?

I use a decent electric shaver (about $100). It takes me about 2 minutes from start to finish, and it gets me looking presentable enough to go to work. I'd just rather not deal with the hassle of doing a proper shave every day. Is it really worth it?

13. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

4 to 5 minutes for me tops, not counting when I'm taking a shit and surfing the net while i fill my sink with hot water.

From there its later (less than 20 seconds), shave one pass, rinse, leave (to the shower, often).

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Edwin Jagger DE86. About $30 new.

15. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I also can highly recommend Proraso Pre/After Shaving Cream or Proraso Pre/After Ultra Sensitive Shave Cream.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Pre%7B47%7DAfter-Shaving-Cream-%283.6oz-Jar%29.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Pror ... ar%29.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Pre%7B47%7DAfter-Ultra-Sensitive-Shave-Cream.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Pror ... Cream.html</a>

Proraso products are made in Italy and generally, all of them are very good.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

From what I've seen. One way a double edged razor is used is to use small strokes and flip back and forth so you can do two strokes quickly and not have to wash off the foam/hair after every single stroke.

Anyway, is there any decent bar old style shaving foam sold at stores? Honestly Ive never looked. Seems like it would be easier to get it at the store while Im there for groceries than order it off the internet. It seems like something that they'd charge a premium for as well. How does the old stuff stack up economically to the new gels?

17. babyface

babyface
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My skin is easily irritated, and I've found the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power razor and Gillette shave gel followed by Neutrogena Men's Post-Shave Lotion works best. The power razor isn't a gimmick, it actually prevents the hairs from getting stuck in the razor and pulling. Yes, I'm spending a small fortune, but I don't have much of a choice. I've tried every combination of soap, gel, cream, electric, you-name-it. In addition, I can only shave with the grain. Last month I watched Margin Call and decided to try going against the grain again after watching someone in the movie do it. My face looked terrible for a week. Fun fact: if you're in a hotel and are too lazy to call the front desk for shaving cream, you can use the little bottle of lotion in your room. It doesn't dry out your skin like soap, and it gives you a really close shave.

18. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ah, I haven't tried that. I make short strokes, but I only rinse off the razor every 4-5 strokes.

From my own experience - Gels are complete garbage compared to the real thing. If you want convenience, I suggest shaving lotion. The real thing with brush / soap puck in a shaving mug is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately it turns shaving from a very quick affair into a 15-minute thing. I use both; shave with the full kit when I have time, shave with lather-in-a-can when I'm rushed.

19. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I can lather on the face with Proraso with a smaller brush (stiffer but still silvertip) in under 30 seconds. It isn't a glorious fat brush warm bowl soap lather, but it's still light years better than the stuff in a can.

20. Crazy Wolf

Crazy Wolf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Merkurs might be more than you want to spend to just try something out. Wei Shi and Parker are acceptable (also, my Parker's never had its handle snap off at the threads. The same cannot be said for my former Merkur). Also, butterfly opening types (like my Parker) allow you to change the angle of attack of the blade, although for the first attempt you should probably just close it tightly.
    I like emsplace.com for razor stuff and soap, the "Skindicinal" soap works quite nicely. Also she has some versions that come in essentially a deodorant tube, perfect for travel.
    The most irritation I get is right around my Adam's apple where my stubble runs out, but that's likely a matter of my technique rather than any product. Anyone know the best/simplest solution to this that doesn't involve growing a neckbeard?