Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shaving

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rei, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mod Edit: Split this topic off from the Tips and Tricks thread. Go to town folks.

New tip: Buy a double edged safety razor and not worry about how long your blades last so much (because $24 for 50 blades.. seriously)

2. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: TiB Tips and Tricks

My razor arrived literally this morning and I had my first shave with it. EJ DE86. I feel like Don Draper. Y'know, without the alcoholism and domestic abuse.

3. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

...Or the money, women and suaveness.

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

With a shave this dapper, it's only a matter of time.

5. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

At risk of derailing this into the shaving thread, do you really not mangle yourself with one of those things? I'm all about speedy shaving, and it sounds like I'd end up looking like ground beef if I tried to use an old school razor. It also doesn't seem like it would work in the shower, which reminds me, I strongly recommend everyone get a small fog-free mirror and shave in the shower. It's just better.

6. Stealth

Stealth
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Get yourself an adjustable saftey razor and go slow.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-510-Progress-Adjustable-Safety-Razor-with-Long-Handle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merk ... andle.html</a>

7. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could you also provide some servicing advice on T-Model Fords and the best wireless programs currently playing?

Seriously, if you’re a man who shaves get a Gillette Fusion. Best razor I've ever owned.

8. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Im talking something like the merkur linked, not a straight razor (which is easier to use than you'd expect)

I use a safety at the same speed as a 2-or3 blade razor its really not hard, just push less pressure down.

Of the cartridge razors I always liked the Sensor Excel two blade.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's also the fact that cartridges cost, at lowest, $3-$4 a blade, whereas an old school DE blade costs $0.15-$0.50. You end up saving at least $100 a year, and once you've got technique down end up with a better shave as well.

10. LessTalk MoreStab

LessTalk MoreStab
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Smooth as a babys..... Nevermind.

Attached Files:

11. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Grow a beard.

12. Omegaham

Omegaham
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It also costs something like 20 bucks for a pack of five razors. Fuck that noise.

A DE razor is very easy to use once you get the technique down. I shave just as fast as most people do with a multi-blade razor, and the results are the same. The only place you actually have to be careful with is the chin.

A pack of ten razors costs $1.59 where I am. That means that I can use a new blade every day, and I spend less than three bucks a month on razors. Fuck you, Gillette.

13. zyron

zyron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Are you a math major?

14. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair, Gillette makes DE blades as well and they're priced at about $0.25 each.

15. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

It's not located with the rest of the slickly designed shaving cream canisters, but it works really well and it leaves your face smelling like oatmeal. What's not to love?

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno, maybe the smelling like oatmeal part?

I like "The Art of Shaving" products. They are a little expensive, but totally worth it as they really make a really rough shave, smooth and painless.

17. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I shave my entire head with the same razor that I use on my face. There's no fucking way I'm trying to shave the back of my own head using an old school razor. Hot shower, good quality shave foam, good quality after shave, you can't get a better shave.

18. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Antifocus: I am rarely fully clean shaven. I have a babyface and thus prefer to keep a bit of stubble. And seeing as my workplace isn't specific about it, I have no reason to change. Twice a week I'll take a beard trimmer with the guard off and just buzz it down. Then I'll take an electric to clean up my lines and my neck, etc... I'm thankful I don't have to shave heavily daily, but I also don't love having to seemingly manufacture my 5 o'clock shadow.

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have skin and facial hair that makes shaving an absolute pain, especially on my neck. Unless I have to, I will go several days between shaving to allow some healing time.

I tried a whole range of shaving foams and lotions to try and get as painless a shave as possible. While I like the King of Shaves shaving oil, it makes the razor a bitch to clean out. The best thing I've found is plain, old, unscented sorbolene cream. It performs better than anything else I've tried, and it's cheaper by a mile. An old friend of mine swore by olive oil, but I've never tried it.

20. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hate everything about shaving. To my poor shaving technique to the amount of time it takes up due to my lack of prowess with a razor. I also hate having facial hair, so I'm fucked either way.