Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Shameless

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Crown Royal, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I just finished watching the first episode of this new Dramedy, and I was surprised how much I actually it interested me. It stars the radiant Emmy Rossum (who thankfully shows the goods in Episode 1) as an early twentysomething that becomes a skeptical (but strong-willed) head of a 6-kid lower class household when their mother bolts and leaves her to deal with everything plus her insufferable alcoholic father (William H Macy, being more atypical than ever).

It's a cinema-style show that has interesting three-dimensional characters and some crackling dialogue and a brisk pace. I hope it plays out well, but so many HBO/Showtime style shows have great pilots and end up sucking later.

You be the judge.

2. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw the (Scottish?) version, which was awesome.This version also looks amazing. I love Emmy Rosum, And Macy is always great. I hope it does well.

3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just finished it as well and the pilot is a home run. Even though there are a ton of characters introduced you get a good sense of all of them.

Very much looking forward to this show.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Home run indeed.

Liked it a lot, especially the way William H. Macey does Drunken Crazy.

Really nice to see some fast-paced, in-your-face TV that doesn't have a laugh track.

5. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I liked how honest the show seems to be. Its incredibly dark in some ways, but there are just some really positive moments. The moment in the van between Lip and Ian was great, as was Debbie coming down to put a pillow under her worthless drunk of a Dad's head. Macy is gonna be awesome, but thats no shocker. Im interested to see what Steve's deal is, he seems to be an intriguing character.

And Emmy Rossum, wow, I could write pages about her. I remember being smitten with her in Phantom and from that hour pilot alone I'm ready to go back to middle school and cover a binder with pictures of her.

6. Bob Trousers

Bob Trousers
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

British-it's set in Manchester.

We're up to season 7 or 8 over here now, and it's a fucking brilliant show. From bits I've read, it seems the US version is pretty much just a word for word remake of the original until it establishes itself, and will then probably start to deviate from the UK version. Apparently the same thing happened with 'The Office', although I haven't watched the US version so I can't really comment. Looks pretty good though.

7. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh OK. I assumed Scottish because of James McAvoy. I'm up to about season 5 of the original. Love it so much

8. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Joan Cusack is terrifying.

9. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

But funny.

A little drop off in quality from the pilot through the first episode but it was still enjoyable and interesting.

I hope the trend of Steve screwing up and then trying to buy his way out ends with the van offer. Also I hope they focus an entire episode on him stealing and delivering vehicles. It's a profession that fascinates me.

10. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just started watching this show and it is really funny. I love how fucked up so much of it is. I can sorta relate to come of the classless behavior.

11. dchavok

dchavok
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Okay. I caught an episode on a whim on Showtime and ended up spending all last night watching the entire first season.

Wow. I love it. It can switch from comedy to serious drama and then back again like no other show.

Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum starred together in that godawful Dragonball live adaption so when I first saw them on the screen together, I was a little bit apprehensive. But they're 10x better in the show.

I especially love the Lip character. The actor who plays him does such an amazing job adding so much emotion to his character....

Really interested to see what happens next season.....ESPECIALLY potential topless sexy time between Amy Smart and Emmy Rossum.

12. Durbanite

Durbanite
    Expand Collapse
    Eeyore

Weymouth, U.K. (formerly Durban, South Africa)
    Shameless is 2 episodes in here and HOLY.SHIT.. The pilot was funny, but the 2nd episode I almost cried with laughter at every scene between Joan Cusack and Macy.
    I had an idea what was going to happen as soon as she headlocked him with the towel but I almost completely lost it laughing when she pulled out the dildo. Him walking bowlegged down the stairs later was also hilarious, as was her handing him the drink and 2 tylenols at the table...

This show will become a classic.

13. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is it just me or did Emmy Rossum's tits get smaller?

14. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I want more of Emmy Rossum and Amy Smart making out like last year. That was pretty good.

I just finished the second season of the British version, and it's interesting to see where they've diverged from it and what's the same.

15. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Season 2 is amazing already.

16. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There was a thoroughly satisfying amount of gettin it on in this last episode. When she's fucking that guy in his car, I had to pause and catch my breath from laughing. And poor Lip, not even noticing he was already down the dirt trail...

17. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I have such loathing and disgust for Frank its not even funny. Kudos to Macy for really killing it in that role.

Normally I am sympathetic to her plight, but Deb really got on my nerves this episode. Lip is by far the most interesting character to me. His relationship with Ian is really unique and interesting to watch and between Karen and his misguided genius, there are alot of great storylines.

18. lostalldoubt86

lostalldoubt86
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I got my boss to start watching the show. She went through the first season in one night. She came into work the next day exhausted, but she said it's one of the best shows she has ever seen.

19. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I am with Jwags about Frank. I cannot think of a more loathsome character on television.

20. dubyu tee eff

dubyu tee eff
    Expand Collapse
    Thinks he has a chance with Christina Hendricks...

So I just got into and caught up with show recently.

First things first, jesus mary and joseph Emmy Rossum is so fine. Somehow, the more disheveled she looks, the hotter it is.

I think they need to kill the season one storyline with Steve and move on to something else. I'm perfectly satisfied with watching this family function sitcom style. We really don't need the arc and it is a little weird.

William H Macy is killing it in this role, but that woman (Karen's mom, can't remember her name) really creeps me out. Maybe that is the point, but her facial contortions are just uncomfortable.

Lastly, we need more boobs from Veronica.