Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Set it, and forget it...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Fast food is all the rage. Process the shit out of some scraps from the abattoir, coat it in preservatives, flash freeze it, and then sell that shit.

Just saw this on Reddit (go to 4:45 in the video):

Frozen food reviewer basically says "are you fucking kidding me with this shit" and quits mid review.

Of course, we all don't have time for fresh made food (like my homemade lobster mac and cheese that was fucking awesome, thankyouverymuch), so we probably have some go-to frozen shit in your freezers.

FOCUS: What's your go-to frozen/prepared food.

ALT-FOCUS: What did you try, only to never try again.

#1 Nettdata, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. SMUGolfer

SMUGolfer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Encore Veal Parmesan: Definitely not veal, possibly Parmesan sauce. Add some buttered egg noodles and none of it matters, that is some quality chow to eat on the couch while watching TV. Throw in a coke (or adult beverage) and your night is made

3. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I love the PF Chang's frozen skillet meals. Yes I know it's not real and probably will give me ass cancer but I can eat the whole bag. Frozen pizza is the shit. Digiorno. When I was a kid, elios pizza was my favorite. Oh and how can I forget? Stouffer's meat lasagna. Christ is that good.

Alt. Focus: I hate the TV dinners. They are never good.

4. TX.

TX.
    Expand Collapse
    The Mad Pooper

My go-to is a Chick-Fil-A kids meal.

Other than that I love the Kroger brand frozen margherita pizza. I can eat one by myself in a sitting. This weekend I have the place to myself so I'll probably pick up one and a bottle of wine. It's kind of pathetic how much I'm looking forward to this. I've been dreaming about food lately.

5. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Go-to freezer foods for me and Boyfriend are pizza, pierogi, steamed buns, and ramen. The frozen kind of ramen with the liquid soup base (as opposed to powdered) isn't as good as fresh, but it's 10x better than the dry kind. Throw in a medium boiled egg and a big handful of baby bok choy and you've got a pretty decent meal. With the steamed buns, sometimes we get fancy and make a vegetable or a salad to go with, and sometimes we just call it dinner. But always we slather them with gochujang, because that shit is delicious. Pierogi are a little bit more of a time commitment, though, because we usually sauté some onions, brussels sprouts and sausage to go with, so it's only mostly lazy instead of the typical 100% lazy frozen meal. Frozen pizzas are in case of dinner emergency, only, but that's happening more often now that we both get home at 9 at least once or twice a week (but no, that does not mean I eat freezer pizza twice a week, I don't hate myself quite that much).

6. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Focus:There's a house brand pizza I get from the grocery store I shop at that's really quite delicious on its own, and since I can get it for $5 is the best ratio of taste to price in just about any pizza I can think of.

Alt-focus: Meatloaf. Had it once. Never again.

7. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Titty fucking. I just.... why?

Her vagina is just a little lower. Why put your dick between her tits when it can go someplace warm and wet and natural? And then you can put your mouth or hands or face on her tits.

8. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Focus: I'm a big fan of Amy's Organic frozen meals, namely the pizza, ravioli, and pesto tortellini. I also really like Tombstone and DiGiorno for frozen pizzas, and I'll second the Kroger brand frozen pizzas as being very good.

Alt-focus: All the brands of frozen pizza that I've had beside the ones that I listed above are terrible. I'm also never touching those $1 Banquet frozen dinners ever again.

9. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I recently found out that you can go to GFS and get one of those big logs of gyro meat they have hanging in the food trucks.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can someone find that gif with what looks like a British dude about to answer then shaking his head no and post it?

My go to frozen food is Banquet chicken nuggets. Bake them in the toaster over for 10 minutes and get a big bowl of ranch and Montgomery INN BBQ sauce for dipping'.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I always have a stash of frozen wontons of various flavours. Take some chicken broth, cut up some green onion, hot and soy sauce, add some broccoli and a handful of the wontons, and you've got some seriously good soup. Add some thick rice noodles and you're in heaven.

Not exactly a frozen, complete meal, but damn easy to do.

12. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't recall the last time I bought something from the freezer aisle. When it comes to dinner I'm either:

a) cooking it fresh
    b) cooking it from a prep I've done and frozen (I do this a lot, it saves a ton of time and money and you get basically fresh cooked meals).
    c) Going out and paying someone else to serve me a hot and fresh meal.

Fuck eating some rubbery nonsense that's neither healthy, not cheap, nor flavorful.

13. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even when I was a kid, late 80s and early 90s, Kid's Cuisine was terrible. They had 12 different meals, but only two flavors: watery and burned. Apple sauce and mac and cheese tasted exactly the same, like water. Yet it had your entire daily allotment of sodium. Preservatives, HIGH FIVE! Kid's Cuisine was one of those rare edibles where colors are the flavors. "Tasted a little brown, then green."

I am guilty of buying State Fair brand corndogs. They're terrible for you, but dip them in hot mustard and it's the sweetest suicide. There's also a brand of pierogies, forgot the name, that don't have a lot of the typical frozen food garbage in them. Otherwise, like Aetius, I won't go near the shit.

But my one weakness, above all else, is Campbell's Tomato Soup. Each can I buy, I can taste the quality go down so noticeably it's hilarious. In another year they will probably faintly taste like tomato. But I still need it. One can has somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200mg of sodium. That is unethical. But one cannot have a grilled cheese without a bowl of the stuff.

14. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ever notice how the soup is a gel when its not heated up? Pretty gross, but still pretty good when its pissing rain and is cold outside.

I'm not a person who eats healthy at all, but I just don't eat frozen food. I loved the red baron frozen pizzas as a kid though.

15. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I eat a lot of frozen produce. More often than not, I end up tossing a lot of fresh fruit or veggies since they go bad before I can eat them.

16. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

focus: The frozen White Castle cheeseburgers are my achilles heel. Every so often I buy a box because I apparently hate myself.

alt-focus: I've found a good repertoire of Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones meals, but each time I have tried one of the Healthy Choice meals it has made me actually want to cry. The last few times I tried it, which was several years ago at this point, I threw the damn thing away after several bites because I'm not in fucking prison.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I will eat just about anything - I mean, not pistachio nut salad or congealed nasty stuff, fuck that - but, I'll eat Hot Pockets, Taco Bell, TV dinners, whatever. I don't care. I do eat fresh fruit, and good vegetables, home made whatever, too. But, I ain't dead yet - I go for cheap and easy.

Favorite "frozen" is Totino's Pizza. I keep 4 cheese Mexican blend shredded in the fridge, and I sprinkle that on before I bake it. I also keep Spaghetti O's and Chef Boyardee Ravioli handy.

I even get chicken flavor Ramen noodles, and add grilled chicken.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Focus:

Run-of-the-mill perogies. Pretty much the fastest, easiest thing to make the requires boiled water.

Alt-Focus:

I didn't realize how much processed food was out there until I started grocery shopping in Michigan. Everything costs less than half in the States so it makes sense whenever we're there, but the frozen section is 4x the size of the stores up here, it's fucking nuts. In a Meijer, I discovered something alien to me: frozen breakfast pastry. I had just saw a 300 pound woman get out of her Rascal scooter, fill the basket with them then hop again and putter away (which nearly brought my wife to tears laughing) and thought "Why not"

I'll tell you why not: who the hell regularly starts off their day with one of these Cronenberg afterbirths? This thing tasted like bathroom grout and saltwater blobfish turds wrapped in wet toilet paper. It's like a turkey vulture threw up on a chocolate Poptart. And there were, I don't know, 45 DIFFERENT KINDS of these abominations. Gaaaaaack. They could kill a lab rat within seconds.

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

try deep frying or pan frying in butter.

20. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sounds tasty, should I take Lisinopril before or after eating that?