Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Serious Thread: Race Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parker, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: 2014 CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS DRUNK THREAD (NSFW)

#21 ODEN, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  2. gamecocks

gamecocks
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think that applying a chokehold is an execution, nor do I think that was what she was saying.

3. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I find it amusing that you think the symptoms of the problem are the cause of the problem. If you read those articles and still think "Why don't black people get their shit together? Isn't it their responsibility too?" or really have the question as to "Where does the onus fall on the white people and the onus fall on the black people?" then you need to do a bit more traveling. Talk to some more people. There is no agreeing or disagreeing. The facts are there, you can't look at the sun and say its not hot.

Let me quote two pieces of the articles, because reading is below some people apparently.

Let's talk about the responsibility of the black community to get their shit together with this story.

"Well black people shouldn't be committing crimes! That'll fix the problem!" Symptom of the problem.

I can't even talk about it anymore, I don't even know why I brought it up knowing this would all burn down. Read the articles, twice. Keep your eyes open and really think about "How we got here? How did they get there?"

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Those would be the members of Anonymous. Standing anywhere near them in public will get you put on a police watch list faster than you can blink.

5. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Not what I said. You took what I said and ran with it to the extreme. I hear you and know that's your opinion or how you feel and I respect it but, therein lies part of the problem.

I'm as white as the day is long and have also been cuffed, put in the back of the car and sat in a cell. Does that mean I'm an official on law enforcement behavior? Not even close. It did freak me the fuck out. We agree on that.

6. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For some reason part 2 didn't load properly for me.

Part 2 fixed

The above link should work.

7. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here is the biggest problem with the conversation. This is where the "racism without racists" that the writer in the posts I've linked comes in the most. The shit with the police is 25% of the race relation problem. 25%. It is the most visible, so it gets talk about the most. It is a SIGN of the bigger problem, it is not the bigger problem. There is the financial issue, the educational issue, the employment issue. So many pieces that add up to the "This shit is geared for this group to be at a massive disadvantage."

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I would really, REALLY like to see people stop throwing around the word "thug" as if it only relates to black men. Let's face it, it's the new safe word for "nigger" and the people who use it aren't fooling anyone.

Here is a collection of posts from http://www.policeone.com/Crowd-Control/ ... ody-death/ which is a popular message board for cops. Somebody tell me why white people haven't been called "thugs" since gangster movie from the 50's:

Attached Files:

10. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Its funny too, cause thugs used to be reserved for meathead white dudes who were enforcers for the unions or mobs.

11. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So what you're saying is that we need to raise white police officers with better family values so that they don't kill wantonly kill black people. Got it.

12. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I hope I'm not going to sound too douchey, but here goes.

It pisses me off when people insist on protesting and complaining about an incident even though evidence continues to come out suggesting nothing was racially motivated. The two most significant in recent memory are the Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown shootings. Feel however you want about it, but there was nothing to suggest either of those cases had anything to do with race. People have been rambling about them for months and I've yet to hear one compelling argument that the shootings were racially motivated. Protesting something and screaming racial injustice just because a black person was involved is fucking stupid. If you are going to protest - fine, but at least make sure it actually deals with racial issues.

The jackasses in Ferguson are only hurting their cause. They're giving people plenty of reasons to not take them seriously. In short, they're mostly making asses of themselves.

Secondly, if you are going to talk about race and be pissed off about cops, education, employment opportunities, etc then address both sides of the issue. Don't just blame white people for everything. You hardly hear anything about the gang violence that kills way more blacks than police brutality. Why? Because it doesn't fit the narrative about the big bad white people that minorities like so much?

So yeah, there is definitely some injustice, but there's obviously problems within the black community, but it seems easier to just blame other people than identify those as well. Yes, I know they are talked about on occasion, but much less so than the racial injustice stuff.

Also, while I think there is an advantage to being born white, I don't think the gap is as high as a lot of people like to believe. The biggest advantage in determining your chances of success is how much money you're born into. You're way better off being born black to parents that make $200k a year than being born white to parents that make $40k a year. Of course, right now you're a lot more likely to be born into money if you're white.

So that's my rant. I don't mean to marginalize the important racial issues, although I'm sure I did to an extent, but a year of hearing endless garbage about the Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown cases has been incredibly frustrating and annoying. Yeah, I'm sad they got shot too since they were both so young, but it had fuck all to do with race. Why were those the two biggest talking points of the last two years?

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If you ask me, maybe they should screen and not hire the fat, degenerate fucks who were taught on their daddy's knee to fear the big, scary black man.

Maybe three months of school isn't enough training to give someone a gun and a license to make every single citizen your bitch. It ISN'T enough training, period.

14. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

How was the Trayvon Martin situation not racial? Cause Zimmerman isn't white? He targeted Martin for "surveillance" cause he was a black dude and black dudes had supposedly been causing issues. Maybe he didn't do it cause he hated black people, but there was certainly a racial component to it.

15. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

You gotta download more Clipse albums, dude.

16. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

This is all very upsetting. It appears that the minutes from the most recent black people meetings have leaked, which is a problem that I thought we solved when we started making Don Lemon wait in the car during them. Rest assured, whoever snitched and told you all about our "just blame white people" plan will be apprehended and forced to wear L.L. Bean as punishment.

17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He racially profiled the shit out of him. Lawyers and bias talking heads can say what they want, but we're not stupid: he stalked a black kid in a gated community (which Martin lived in) and would not have done it if Martin was white. He's dead because of typical impulsive stereotype bullshit.

18. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is my point though. The argument basically boils down to 'but he was black!' That's not much to go on. You don't know he never would have stopped someone dressed the same way if they were white, you're just assuming it. And since you are, let's say I give you that - it's still not reasonable to say he was shot because he was black. There was a lot going on there, and we still don't know exactly what happened, but saying he got shot simply for being black is pretty damn ridiculous.

For the record, I thought Zimmerman should have went down on manslaughter because shooting someone because you're getting your ass kicked isn't a good enough reason, but I don't think he pulled the trigger because Martin was black.

19. Kampf Trinker

Kampf Trinker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry if I'm being a dick head, but it's certainly true that racism gets discussed way more than the other issues I talked about in my post. At least in the mainstream. That's not even close to debatable.

20. Nom Chompsky

Nom Chompsky
    Expand Collapse
    Honorary TiBette

I agree, which is why I will message you whenever I have a problem with the black community, I trust you will be very receptive and helpful in sorting out these matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.