Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Serious Thread: Race Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Parker, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Re: 2014 CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEARS DRUNK THREAD (NSFW)

Well, guys, gals, everyone. Well fuck. I don't even know where to go with this merry post.

Since that Mike Brown thread went so well, guess I probably shouldn't post about this, but what just happened in NYC is fucking insane. There was video, the coroner ruled it a homocide, he did not have a gun, he did not attack the police officers, every single piece of fucking evidence especially the video show that the police were in the wrong. No trial, grand jury decides to not indict. Are we fucking there yet? Are we going to bring up a police state with this one? Are we going to say "Well he shouldn't have been looking shady, committing crimes?" Are we going to say "Well he kinda looked like a guy that robbed a convenience store?" Are we there yet, where this can be realized as a actual problem? I don't know what else needs to happen for people to open their eyes and be like "Holy shit, this problem is a core problem, and its unrelated to anything else."

I'm not even going to link the story of the black kid who got stopped because he has his hands in his pockets. Read that again.

Kinda surprised no one has said anything about it here. I can't even be mad anymore, I'm officially just depressed.

Friend sent me this post this morning, and by my God, it could not be more on the money: "The American Justice System Is Not Broken."

There is a writer for the New York Times, who has an on going series called "When Whites Just Don't Get It".

If anyone can still read all these facts, see the pattern, and blame it on anything besides what the actual problem is. Congratulations, you're inhuman.

2. katokoch

katokoch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think you already know...

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just curious, and I'm genuinely curious, not looking to be a dick (at least not intentionally)... other than sit here and beak off about it, what have you actually done to help change things?

4. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I vote all the time. I also have done volunteer work with youth groups and have gone back to a church that now sits where the projects of Chicago used to (hello condos for white folk) be to talk to kids about education and careers.

I also, keep the discussion going, read about things, don't unfairly side with O.J. Simpson just because black people needed a win. Without the discussion, nothing will get done. I also lightly inform people of situations when things come up. Now, I'm not going to run out and be the next MLK Jr. but there are things I can do. If I just posted here linking articles thinking I was doing some greater good, I'd be dumber than the people who have currently depressed me. We don't even get that much traffic, nothing is going to go viral. But sharing the information helps, because I believe to a point, rational/educated people will take in new factual information and have new thoughts.

Does that answer your question?

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Signs of ignorance

This is true. Unfortunately, the uneducated idiots get all the media coverage. And, reality shows.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

A bit, yep.

Now, do you believe it's a blanket case of the white man oppressing the black man, or do you think it might also be a case of the black community needing to get their shit together just a bit? Or are there other elements that you think are involved?

You keep throwing "educated" and "intelligent" around, but everything I've seen tells me that it's a very, very complicated situation, and very contextual (NY vs Ferguson, for instance), so it's anything BUT a simple case of black vs white.

And most posts like this that I've seen (not necessarily yours) are along the lines of "I'm being oppressed, go fix it while I sit here and bitch about it".

What part of this problem do you think the black community, generally speaking, should own and work on improving? Or do you think that they don't have to do anything?

Because I'll be straight up with you... the absolute shit I see coming out of Ferguson, and the blatant "we're black and we're owed everything and it's not our fault" bullshit makes me think "fuck you... we all have our own issues, and we're all doing our best to deal with them."

7. Noland

Noland
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

[​IMG]

Because this is going to get all serious and shit.

8. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is all addressed in that second link I posted earlier. Unfortunately now the series is 5 articles long, "When Whites Just Don't Get It". but it 100% addresses those questions you've asked and answers them better than I could. Better than I have seen everyone answer them, with statistics and historical facts.

9. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep... which is why I think it all starts with family values. Get a proper work ethic and social morality in place for a young person, regardless of race, and they will grow up to be a benefit of society.

To me, that's the best starting place for ANY community, regardless of race. But who do you see talking about that?

$0.02

10. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yep, keep reading.

11. ODEN

ODEN
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Totally messed up that those guys got away with murder. Someone should be doing life in prison for that.

Here is something that I think should be considered when talking about race, law enforcement and unequal application of the law:

13 percent of the population in the U.S. is black, yet account for better than 50% of the homicides. 93% of those killed, were killed by other blacks. These statistics hold the same for other violent crimes as well such as robbery, rape, assault, etc.

To take a separate perspective: Do you think law enforcement look at this data set and say to themselves "look at how they treat each other, why should we do any different?"

I think everyone needs to do a little self-examination on the issue, not just law enforcement.

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because tits

All of the posts started by and response to Parkers are excellent intelligent discourse. They should be spun off into a separate thread, though, because I will cut a bitch if y'all mess up the Christmas and New Year's Drunk thread and get it locked before we get to NYE.

13. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Okay, I'm going to link all the stories. Because you're not getting it, these articles are talking about you.

When Whites Just Don't Get It

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5

Interview in the Washington Post.

After anyone wants to discuss with me the issues, read all 6 of those articles. Maybe even twice. Then we can talk. He's a white person that gets it.

Open another thread!

14. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Moving posts now.

15. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Well, this is not going to end well no matter what so I'll throw mine into the mix. When someone, regardless of race, gender or otherwise, gets a direct order from a law enforcement officer it's quite simple, do what the fuck they tell you to do.

The guy in NY did not do what they told him to do, instead he choose to ask they just leave him alone because he wasn't bothering anyone or doing anything wrong (I believe that's almost exactly what he said but I could have the last part wrong). When he did not follow their orders they did what cops do, they took action.

I won't get into Michael Brown except to say what I saw his Stepfather do, in yelling to the already incited crowd to "Burn it down! Burn it down!" I dunno, I just don't understand what good that does. I guess in the same way I don't understand what exactly it is the protesters expect their protests will change. I just don't get it.

And one more thing, if you're proud enough and/or passionate enough to participate in a protest take the mask off.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I find it amusing that you think that just because we don't agree with you, we don't get it.

But yeah, enough of that in here... someone can put up a thread in the suggestions board if you want.

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The masks I saw were of Guy Fawkes, which I took to be a symbol of protest, not a method of hiding. Ski masks would send a different message.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Its a symbol of protests from V for Vendetta.

19. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Yeah I saw them too. Locally they had ski/stocking masks on. I should have been more specific.

20. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So you think not doing what law enforcement orders you to do is grounds for execution?

I'm white and I've been fucked with by police officers. Just thinking about what black people go through freaks me out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.