Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Screw you and your stupid team!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D26, Apr 4, 2011.

1. DenverFogo

DenverFogo
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Mostly I ignore these posts not because I haven't heard of the teams (most Brazilians who visit the United States fell they have to buy a Yankees cap), but because I have no interest in those sports. Baseball is unwatchable (on TV at least), only cricket is worse. And American Football has some of the toughest athleetes in the world but doesn't do it for me (action stops to much). I really like the NBA but aparently there aren't so many hardcore fans in America, since it is hardly mentioned in the thread.

As for soccer, I have become increasingly uninterested because the quality of the game has fallen steeply since the 80s (the sport desperately needs a personal foul limit). Even going to the stadium has become less enjoyable because of all the security precautions addopted nowadays (the last 100000+ match in Maracana was more than 10 years ago), thanks to the assholes who think having a different jersey is a valid reason to shoot someone. I only watch my team's (Botafogo) matches nowadays, and that's more from emotional attachment than anything else.

And by the way, fuck Flamengo (they are more than 20 million so someone must read this).

2. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That's probably true in the Midwest, but I went to the NCAA championship in Atlanta in 2007 and rooted for Ohio State. Seeing otherwise-normal-looking people doing that gay Florida clap thing in person makes you root for whoever is playing them.

3. bobdobolina12

bobdobolina12
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I'm surprised they haven't been mentioned, but Baltimore Ravens fans drive me up a wall. I'm sure there are a few good ones out there, but I've never heard a group complain more about the referees in any sport. Fans that constantly bitch about having shitty coaches/GMs/players are one thing, but to insist that Roger Goodell is trying to screw you out of a championship you somehow deserve is insane.
    (edit) I also had a friend of mine go to a Ravens home game vs the Eagles in all his Philly attire. The guy behind him was trying to light him on fire with his lighter within 10 minutes of sitting down. When you manage to go lower than a Philly fan, you really need help.

Also: people who refer to their favorite teams as "we" or "us". It's a fairly innocuous thing for someone to say, and I usually don't throw a bitch fit when I hear someone use it, but it's not something I can hear over and over again. After working with a college team, it makes it a lot harder to hear fans (particularly of that team) tell me what "we" need to do. "You" need to be a fan, "we" need to win, but there is no "us".

4. Poopourri

Poopourri
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I stand corrected, good sir. I was very serious in my viewpoint that all non-Americans and their respective sports/teams were fucking boring and ...you know what? I feel awful, just awful for lumping you in with them. What with your fantastic knowledge and memory of a single sports franchise. I want so bad to have an opinion on the Toronto Blue Jays, but you're absolutely right...I wasn't alive for the 1985 season, so I guess I'll never be able to have an opinion on them, nor anything else before I was born (I heard The Beatles were a good band, can anyone corroborate this?). I just want to say I'm sorry. I had my doubts about you crazy canucks, but when you said you played baseball indoors, it was apparent that You. Were. Very. Serious. I make this post, hat in hand, begging for forgiveness. I hope I didn't offend your delicate sens-eh-bilities, y'know.

Normally I hate Michigan fans, but the fact that one of them decided to celebrate a touchdown by punching a Canadian in the back of the head...well, maybe I was wrong about them too.

Thanks for opening my eyes, guyski. This has been fun.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

If it ain't curling, it ain't worth watching.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Sometimes people fucking suck.

<a class="postlink" href="http://sfist.com/2011/04/06/giants_fan_beaten_at_dodgers_game_h.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sfist.com/2011/04/06/giants_fan_ ... game_h.php</a>

7. M4A1

M4A1
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The Raider fans of LA have replaced them with the Dodgers. There is currently a $100K reward for these 2 shit-eating assholes. Tom Leykis ponied up and extra $50K of his own. Hope they drag them down the 110 by their balls.

The best part? The description. 2 Hispanic males, with tattoo's, one with a mustache and one with a goatee, shaved heads, and wearing Dodger jerseys.

8. Luke 217

Luke 217
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Well at least the Cops can narrow the time of the crime. We all know that Dodger fans don't show up until the 3rd inning and leave prior to the 7th,,,,, so that's about a 1 hour window.

9. BL1Y

BL1Y
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is slightly off focus, but fuck everyone who graduated from the University of Alabama and rooted for Oregon to beat Auburn in the BCS championship. I saw way too many green As on my Facebook feed.

In general though, the students fans get into the rivalry because it's fun. You get all worked up, shout shit you wouldn't dream of saying if you didn't care, and no matter the outcome you end up drinking more. It's the non-alumni fans who actually think this shit matters, probably because there's nothing else going on in their lives, which while sad, is forgivable.

What can't be forgiven is the fucking grads who should know better.

Back on focus though, yes, Alabama fans are probably the most obnoxious in all of college sports, save maybe Harvard and Yale.

#89 BL1Y, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  10. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Um, why?? Part of rooting for a sports team is rooting against that team's rivals. Despite my aforementioned hatred of the Patriots and their fans I wanted them to beat the Giants in the Super Bowl a few years ago. I'll root for anyone who's playing against the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Washington Redskins, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, New Jersey Devils, New York Mets, Mexico soccer team, New York Red Bulls, DC United, Chelsea, Notre Dame football, or Boston University hockey (when these teams play each other I root for the lesser of the evils).