Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Say that again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nettdata, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So let's say most if not all of them make it out alive, what do they do from here? Do they just go right back to work? Do they get a huge payment from the company or from the government so they don't have to work again? I've always wondered this because I don't see how they could mentally go perform the same job without freaking the fuck out every two seconds.

2. Racer-X

Racer-X
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

If they have the bad luck to be rescued right before their regular shift, they'll probably go right back in.

In the US, you'd be set for life after something like that happened. You would go on the morning show circuit, find someone to ghostwrite a book and then get a payout from the lawsuit against the company. Suddenly being a clumsy miner doesn't seem like the worst career path.

3. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/news/world-latin-america-11094042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/int/news/-/ ... a-11094042</a>

Oh goody, they get anti-depressants to keep them entertained while they're down there. Give 33 guys anti depressants and at least 10 of them are going to have a shit awful experience - because being stuck in a psychological hole you can't get out of, is just what you need when you're trapped in a mine cave in.

4. Harry Coolahan

Harry Coolahan
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Oh, this is golden:

"They're not starving, they're... uh... losing weight so we can help them escape."

I also thought this quote was pretty awesome:

I think better advice would have been suggestions for TP after they've used all their clothing in the first three weeks.

And from the comments in that post, I'm inclined to agree:

5. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had to share this.

Apparently the trapped miners are now each getting a Sony PSP included with the necessities that are being lowered to them.

I like my psp and all, but is this really the best idea they could come up with?

6. Frank

Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, they had to give them something to do for months that takes up no space, so I'd say it's a pretty good call and should at least postpone someone snapping.

7. Elset

Elset
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm thinking a round of fleshlights would've been a better investment.

8. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did any of the news stories mention whether or not they have power down there? PSP batteries don't generally last too long, I'm thinking they might have been better off with a couple packs of playing cards, or maybe Uno or Skip-Bo or something.

9. ssycko

ssycko
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The 2010 Chilean Miner Rescue, now brought to you by Sony!

10. Psk

Psk
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well done Sony, well done.

"Saving poor, starved, brown-skinned workers since 2010"

11. guernica

guernica
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There's been a wedding proposal now! There's also some footage of the guys now, and it's good to see they've broken down the shirt wearing barrier now. Things can't be so bad if they're comfortable enough to get half naked with each other!

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Personally, I think they just put on some clothes for the photo op.

13. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Hm. How could we make months of darkness in a small cave with 30 men seem even longer and more tedious? Oh, I got it! Let's give the fuckers Uno.

Uno is the worst.

14. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well not even "saving", as it happens. "Entertaining poor, starved, brown-skinned workers trapped for months in a mine" is more like it. But you can play those games for NINE NINETY NINE, you know what I'm saying?

[​IMG]

The estimate is somewhat along the lines of four months for them to be rescued, right? That's about the length of a university summer break, and everyone knows how "oh my god summer went by so fast", right? I'm being facetious because I once spent a terrible four-month university summer at a place that made me want to throat-punch everyone who dared utter those words. Now, take those four months and eliminate any real consequences for bludgeoning to death the mouth-breathers that drive you nuts and at least one person is either going to die or be used as the communal vagina / whipping post / something.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know this is digging up an old thread, but since they're getting rescued and all, it seemed appropriate. They're taking a 20 minute ride out in this thing:

I bet it doesn't work 33 times in a row.

Attached Files:

16. lyle

lyle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

All day in work this has been on the news channel with live coverage of 'event' unfolding, which at the moment is next to nothing so they've been doing profiles on all the miners like a low rent Big Brother.
    But why stop there? The Chilean government have really dropped the ball and could have made a fortune on setting up a phone line to vote which miner gets out first.
    Hell, at least they could have given them each a random number so the people at home could play bingo

17. Beefy Phil

Beefy Phil
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've been waiting two months to use this.

#57 Beefy Phil, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  18. Ogee

Ogee
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

That has got to feel like climbing into a coffin.

Of course, that might seem attractive after two months in a 300 sq ft hole with 32 other men...

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I'm just happy that it seems to be working out for the better.

Seems that the local company totally packed up and fucked off, and a bunch of miners from the US have been leading the charge to get this thing done.

I saw a pretty cool interview where some of the locals were thanking the a couple of the guys who were working on the rescue shaft, and they basically said, "no problem... we're just here to lend a hand".

I also think that after spending 2-3 months in that mine, they'd be overjoyed at risking that 30 minute ride to safety.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is brilliant! They all have hard hats, right? Paint numbers on them, and it'd be like watching the lotto drawing.