Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Sandman

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by downndirty, Jul 23, 2022.

1. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wasn't that based on a comic though? I think they probably wanted the "right" to say "Neil Gaiman's Lucifer" or to list him as an EP, but then said fuck it.

Still trying to figure out who the lady in red is in the trailer.

I'm guessing Desire, but like...that's this person, and I can't tell if that's right or not: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4317622/?ref_=tt_cl_t_4

The other Gaiman shows I've seen were either quite good (Good Omens) or started strong and fell flat as fuck (American Gods).

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone watch this?

I enjoyed it for the most part. My only beef was that a couple of the climactic scenes just felt... flat.

I mean, in a duel with Lucifer, in a battle where the limits are only your imagination, and you physically feel what's happening to you... "I'm a scary animal" is like Ralph Wiggum playing this game.

Is it just that it makes for bad TV for the game to be:
    Lucifer: "I'm a wolf!"
    Sandman: "I'm the inevitable fucking decay of time. Eat shit."

The transfer of vortex powers also felt a little too neat, too. It's a dream, you can do anything you want is a little silly when that "anything" is apparently limited to "transfer vortex powers to one specific person, and Sandman will instantly murder them." Why are we not transferring them to one of the, you know, like 200 people who we just showed who all deserve to die?

Overall, though, these are nitpicks and I liked the visual style and story.

4. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched it and rewatched it. Loved it.

I think the game was a bit contrived. It is supposed to build, and I don't remember it much from the comic. You're right that essentially, you just have to go "I am God, bitch", but I'd imagine it's hard to create a visual for "chess with the Devil" that doesn't take liberty with the game itself.

I am looking forward to future seasons. The death and desire characters were exceptionally well done, and I'd like to see more of them. I'd love to see more stories with the Corinthian as well.

The cool thing is how well they captured Bachalo's art. It was a bizarre style at the time, and seeing it in live action was fantastic.

5. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched the special that they released, and it got me thinking about the show again. I think it deserves a re-watch and that's not something I often do because I don't actually watch a lot of TV, so re-watching an entire season/series is a big commitment for something I've already seen.

I keep finding myself thinking about it, though. I especially liked Death's character - I'm almost totally unfamiliar with the comics so I'm not sure if that was all canon, but I thought she played it wonderfully.

Anyway, if someone is reading this and is on the fence about starting this series vs., say, Marvel's latest money printing factory or Game of Thrones' attempt to recover from seasons 7 & 8 setting fire to the source material and then shitting in the ashes... I'd go with Sandman.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely.

The only difference in the comics is Death was a cute goth white girl, and iirc, in one of the animated adaptations, she spoke with an American accent.

Plus the bonus episode was dope.

I was at Seattle comic con last Saturday, and they didn't have a ton of Sandman swag. I saw pics from another con this weekend, and it was because they sold out on Friday.

This show is definitely worth a rewatch.

7. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I’m watching now and it gets better with every episode. The graphic novels came out after I was through my comic book phase but I was in touch enough to know that Sandman was revolutionary and iconic.

Episode 6 in particular is fantastic. Such a brilliant, poignant portrayal of death. And it doesn’t hurt that death is hot. I’ve really never seen anything like it.