Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rugby 2012

Discussion in 'Sports Board' started by Bundy Bear, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Six Nations has just started, preseason games for the super rugby season are on and Argentina has a place in with the Tri Nations this year.

Rugby is back in force for 2012, have at it Idiots.

2. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Well the 'Canes had a win, that was unexpected. I don't have Sky anymore in my new place, so I'll be pretty much watching no non-wellington/NZ games this year unfortunately. I've got a Wellington season pass again though so I'll be front and centre at the caketin yelling at Mark Hammett...

Is Durbanite still sworn off these threads because of the world's collective bias against SA rugby? This whole sixth SA franchise thing is about to heat up. Would be hilarious if they gave it to Taranaki instead.

3. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Why the Hammett hatred, the biggest problem with Hurricanes rugby in the last few years has been the players and their egos getting in the way of rugby. A big clean up and some lesser names and they are starting to play like a team.

On another note I'm very happy with how the Chiefs have played and believe hadn't that perennial injury curse we face every year hit in the first round we would have kept the Highlanders at bay. Should be a good game against the Saders this week but I'm going to be out of pub range so unable to see it.

Mike Harris looks to have put Quade Cooper out of a job, thank fuck for that. Hopefully NZ rugby don't let him fall into Aussie hands.

4. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Nah I don't really 'hate' Hammett as such, I'll be the first to celebrate him if he gets the results, and you're right, there is the potential that he might bring the team together properly. Getting rid of/losing a bunch of my favourite players - the players I pay good money to see - wasn't a good start however. Pretty excited about guys like Beauden Barrett, Jack Lam and hopefully Jayden Hayward later in the season though. Anyway, I'll be one of the barely 10,000 (I'm predicting) people at their opening game, so I'm giving him more credit than most.

I think Mike Harris might be a goner, too much competition for first five in NZ compared to Australia, and having already knocked off their first choice he's looking pretty good for a crack at the Wallabies squad if he wants it.

5. lhprop1

lhprop1
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I finally got a computer at home which means I can watch some southern hemisphere rugby. Does anyone know of any good sites to watch Super Rugby or Tri-nations matches online that's not illegal and not filled with viruses and shit? Live or delayed doesn't matter.

6. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My beloved Reds have been absolutely decimated with injuries. I thought their first 30mins against the Sharks were some of the best rugby played this season. We are now down to the 5th string fly-half and dying for Quade Cooper's return.

7. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'd wish for Mike Harris before Blooper. Do not rate him at all. You can't hide defence like his on a Rugby field.

Goold to be back to civilisation, missed watching rugby the last three weeks.

8. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I doubt you feel like you missed much early Sunday morning! At least they've got a soft game against the Force coming up next, but at the rate the Reds are going the Force will fancy their chances at home.

9. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can. The Reds managed to do it all last year. You are letting his recent test performances hide his incredible form last year at Super Rugby level. Last season he was easily in the top 5 Super Rugby players.

10. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Reds pack and Genia made him look far better than he was. When playing for the Wallabies against superior packs that gave him no time he crumbled. At the elite level there is no hiding Defence like his. Sure, some games he will pull it off. More times than not though he will fail and spectacularly.

Vort, I would have enjoyed watching the Reds get smashed. I'm a Chiefs man myself.

11. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I get where you are coming from and if you were trying to pimp Barnes/JOC over Cooper for the wallabies, fine. However at least at Super Rugby level Cooper has done enough over the last 2 seasons to be considered a dominiant player. To win the title the Reds had to play 17 games last year, more than enough time for his frailities to shine through. Instead we got this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQutSGRjFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGhcWjPX08

He has weaknesses and the Reds not only hid them, they exploited them. Suddenly his poor defence was a vehicle for potent counter-attack by having him defend at the back.

12. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah I can understand that. JOC I'm not a fan of, Barnes on the other hand is the style of First Five that the Wallabies have done very well with over the years. They have always had some great finishers and creative half backs. Guys like Lynagh and Larkham were great defenders and generals of the backline making up for the not always great forward pack.

Still stand by Genia as the lynchpin for last years Red's winning season.

13. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just got back from watching the Stormers and Highlanders play and have to say the Stormers look like finalists this year. A good win in a tough place to play away from home, it'll be interesting to see how they play against the Crusaders next weekend.

Another win for my Chiefs to take them to second on the table.

14. Vorticon

Vorticon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

So how 'bout those Blues? And who was that fat bloke they had at half back?

Friday night's match will be one to watch...

15. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly saw this coming at the Blues. Too many injuries and Weepu is always unfit at the start of the season.

I'm looking forward to the Chiefs Reds game on Sunday. Should be an absolute ripper.

16. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fact: Reds will win this year.

17. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

They may have won a couple on the trout but I'm not convinced. I think the Brumbies still have enough left in the tank to take out the Australian conference and they have to win every game and rely on others falling over to make the finals.

As much as I want the chiefs to win I think three crusaders are the biggest threat at this point until I see how the chiefs handle play off games.

18. T0m88

T0m88
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

SIX NATIONS IS BACK ON, MOTHERFUCKERS!

Predictions:

England for the win, possibly Grand Slam, if they keep believing their own legend after trouncing the All Blacks.

Scotland to eke out one victory against Wales by complete and utter blind luck.

Wales to take the Spoon.

Also, watching Italy own France yesterday has made me the happiest I've been in a long while, especially since I get to gloat at all my French teammates in practice later. My neighbours had to knock on the wall to complain because the noise emanating from my living room was pretty much this:

#18 T0m88, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  19. JWags

JWags
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm admittedly Rugby ignorant for the most part. Granted he's playing on a mediocre US team, but what's preventing one of the quality clubs in England or Australia picking this guy up once he establishes a bit more fundamentals?

<a class="postlink" href="http://kottke.org/13/01/the-worlds-fastest-rugby-player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kottke.org/13/01/the-worlds-fastest-rugby-player</a>

Or is it like a one trick pony excelling in college football due to speed where he wouldn't be able to do the same in the NFL?

20. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen a bit of this guy and he looks to have decent handling skills and a good fend and step, so he seems to be more than just a one trick pony. He may get picked up by one of the French or English sides but at the moment his only exposure to Rugby has been the shorter version of the game which is a very different beast to the 15 a side.

If the American Rugby side could start getting kids like him into Rugby at an early age then one day with decent coaches they could start challenging the big guys regularly.