Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Ronnie James Dio dead at 67

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by rbz90, May 17, 2010.

1. rbz90

rbz90
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ronniejamesdio.com/</a>

The man was undoubtedly one of the greatest rock vocalists of all time, and a legitimately cool guy. I am actually bummed over this.

Focus: Not sure what the focus should be, aside from the awesomeness that was RJD.

2. uzisuicide

uzisuicide
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I actually shed a tear when I heard the terrible news last night. I always heard that Dio was the nicest, most humble guy you could ever meet. I am a huge fan of him and his music. RIP.

3. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This makes me extra sad, because New Hampshire doesn't have many celebrities. With Salinger and now Dio gone, that's like, 20% of all of our famous people. I'm only slightly exaggerating.

4. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

As I noted in the "Rant and Rave" thread, I was genuinely saddened by this. I rarely care about celebrity deaths, but in this case, RJD was not only an amazing vocalist and metal pioneer, but an intelligent, articulate, good human being. For me at least, this had a much bigger impact than Michael Jackson's death. (which I didn't care much about)

What's ironic is that often, when someone I knew and/or respected died, I would listen to this Dio song;

#4 KIMaster, May 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Man this sucks. KIMaster pretty much said what I was going to say, so I'll simply post this:

Dream On is one of my all-time favorite songs and the fact Dio hits it out of the ballpark is amazing to me. I would normally hate any cover of a song I liked this much. RIP.

#5 Trakiel, May 17, 2010
  6. mad5427

mad5427
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Tenacious D and their song of love for everything Dio. Very fitting in this time of sadness.

#6 mad5427, May 17, 2010
  7. Mike Ness

Mike Ness
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

R.I.P- RJD

The true founder of the heavy metal salute, making your hands into devil horns was invented by one of the best metal singers of all time.

8. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

9. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've seen Dio live more often than any other metal group/artist, and as result I attribute much of my premature hearing loss to him. I'm sad to see him go.

And I can only HOPE that things get ugly if the WBC pickets at his funeral. It would be kind of funny to watch over the hill headbangers facing off with brainwashed 13 year olds.

10. Backroom

Backroom
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Some might think this is sacrilege but one of my favorite bands did a cover of Holy Diver and I absolutely love it, plus it has a sweet/bad video

#10 Backroom, May 22, 2010
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Am I the only one who liked "Rainbow" as the best of his groups? He and Blackmore were a marvelous team, but Dio loooooved the spotlight too much to share.

Motherfucker could SING, though. All those little guys (like Klaus Meine from Scorpions) had pipes.

Thanks for the "devil horns", Ronnie. For giving us "Power Metal". Thank you.

12. Evildreams

Evildreams
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

I posted about this in the rant & rave thread the day he died, but I hadn't noticed this, as some DIO fans may have noticed my user name evildreams is actually a tribute to one of Dio's songs, Dream evil, here it is, it's definitely one of my favourite dio songs.

#12 Evildreams, May 24, 2010
  13. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was thinking of starting this thread earlier, but the tribute videos weren't up yet.

14. konatown

konatown
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RIP.

#14 konatown, May 24, 2010