Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Ricky Gervais and the Golden Globes

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by Nettdata, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I didn't watch it, but it's all over the internet and news feeds about how everyone got their panties in a bunch over his actions.

There were even rumours that he was fired halfway through the show as he disappeared for almost an hour.

Anyone watch it?

What's your take on it?

2. D26

D26
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched part of it online. Here is a link to an article and some highlights of his jokes.

I thought he was funny as hell, and did what people have been wishing someone would do for a long time; taking the piss out of Hollywood. These people need to develop a sense of humor about themselves. Robert Downey Jr., for example, seemed to be particularly annoyed. Why? Its not like we all don't know your history, buddy. Just because you made a tremendous comeback and are now an A-lister again doesn't mean you WEREN'T a crazy addict in the past. Hell, that is why most people find you so lovable and endearing. Take a shot back at Gervais and call it a day. Maybe talk about how Gervais did it first, but Carrell did it better.

One thing, I think, is for sure. Gervais isn't ever hosting any award show ever again, which is a god damned shame.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Makes me wish I'd seen it.

I just can't stand the whole circle-jerk thing that is an awards show by the industry for the industry. Just too much political bullshit for my tastes.

Makes me wonder, though, how that whole "host" thing works? Did he have to get signed off on anything he was going to say, or just hop up there and let it fly?

It would be fucking AWESOME if he got one script signed off on and then went up and did a totally different "fuck you" show instead.

4. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

wrong year

5. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I heard a clip of him on Conan from last week where he said his original entrance got veto'd by the organisers. He wanted to come out dressed as Hitler, and when people gasped or whatever, ask, "Too soon? *Sigh* This is the last time I borrow a suit from Mel Gibson."

I think that would have been fucking hilarious, but it definitely would have caused an even bigger uproar than this. Hollywood needs to get the fuck over itself.

6. mya

mya
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched it, and he was hilarious, in an "I can't believe that he said that, he is getting away with this" way. But then again, I just love Ricky Gervais. He hosted last year, and didn't go quite as far, but seriously, what did they expect? The gay scientologist thing was awesome. The quip from the Hollywood Foreign Press guy about Gervais not coming to him for funding again was a little sign that maybe people were taking him a little too seriously. Personally, I am glad that he didn't hold back. It makes a boring awards show infinitely more watchable. They will probably get somebody like Jay Leno to host next year. Safe, boring.

7. Aribidi

Aribidi
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Tadaa! Or, if you'd like an introduction with more words; here's a clip I've found. It's amazing how an average Super Nintendo game has better quality, but fuck it.

I've thought he was hilarious. He made some dead jokes (Charlie Sheen drinking, Mel Gibson anti-semitism, Tom Cruise is gay) into new jokes that were really funny. And that's an artform in my book. I don't understand if some actors were offended. I read that Robert Downey Jr wasn't exactly pleased with the way Gervais introduced him. What the hell? Just so we're clear, even if RDJ made a snuff-film with my mom, I'd watch it over and over again, but he should learn to take a joke.

But what were the Golden Globe-people expecting? Gervais is known for ripping into people. If they want some monkey to read a couple of lame jokes from the teleprompter, just hire Andy Dick or Rob Schneider. I'm sure they can take some time off sucking dick in a dirty alley.

#7 Aribidi, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  8. taikaviitta

taikaviitta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Here is an interview where he is talking about last year's gig (skip to 3 minute mark). He would just show up, not rehearse and say whatever he wanted. Now that is ballsy. I'm guessing that was approved for this year as well.

Pierce "cuntface" Morgan is having him as a guest on thursday on his new CNN show. He was already booked earlier but what a great gift this turned out to be for Mr. Cuntface. I hope Ricky tears him a new one.

9. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Even though he started doing comedic shows, I consider Ricky Gervais the greatest stand-up comedian of all time. The man is a pure genius; his timing, delivery, presence, and jokes are as close as it gets to perfection. And the original BBC "The Office" is one of the greatest comedy shows of all time.

If you've ever seen Gervais talk about comedy, or interview his idols (a short-lived series on BBC promptly canceled after a very uncomfortable interaction with Garry Shandling), he absolutely thrives on the awkwardness and uncomfortableness of humor.

He wasn't going to pull any punches; for him, the only funny way to do the show was to poke fun at those fragile, bullshit Hollywood egos and have a few people become uncomfortable. (Robert Downey Jr., Tom Hanks, etc.)

That being said, from what I have seen, none of his jokes were even in bad taste. He didn't insult anyone's family, dead kid, or anything else. Instead, his main target was Hollywood ego and self-importance, which any non jerk-off actor/actress should have been able to laugh at.

Anyways, hopefully, this encourages more people to check out Gervais's comedy work.

Just stay away from "The Invention of Lying"; that was utter fucking shit. If any of the actors at the Golden Globes wanted to insult Ricky back effectively, a mention of that turd would have done the trick.

10. taikaviitta

taikaviitta
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Agreed, that has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. But after the monologue I doubt anyone had the balls to go after him.

11. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here is what I don't get, RDJ comes out clearly pissed off at Ricky being mean before launching into a monologue about how he fucked all of the best comedy actress nominations.

12. Celos

Celos
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

That was awesome. I loved the contrast between Ricky just going for it and the presenters he introduced reading whatever dribble they fed 'em from the telepromter. That was almost better than the introductions themselves. Almost.

13. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's the fuckin' Golden Globes, who gives a shit?

But then the execs will get mad that Robert Downey or Tom Cruise won't attend anymore because of the abuse from the host and the fans get upset.

The press won't be able to dissect their wardrobe in 30 minute intervals dedicated to this crap, probably talking trash about the fat actress.

14. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

I didn't watch the show, but I did watch the highlights of his performance online. I laughed my ass off. He said in interviews before the event that he was aiming to not be invited back.

His introduction of Mel Gibson "I like a drink as much as the next bloke, unless the next bloke is Mel Gibson!' stands out as one of the greatest lines in live television history.

15. hoju

hoju
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

This has nothing to do with Ricky Gervais' performance, although awesome.

Jay Mohr was hosting Jim Rome's radio show today and he talked about the Globes last night. Aside from all the lame ass controversy, he brought up a good observation that I can't wait to look for during the Oscars, or any other award show. He's seen his share of Hollywood shit so I take his word on this.

He said that he liked watching the close-ups of the "stars" to see who is chewing gum. This is twofold. Either they smoke (cigarettes) and are just chewing gum to pass the time until they can smoke again. Or they are jacked on blow. (If you've done blow you know what he's talking about) Also, watch when the potential coke heads clap. They do it with enthusiasm.

16. Er yan

Er yan
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Ricky hosting was the only reason we stayed in to watch the Globes, it was basically a Ricky Gervais "Comedy Central Roast" of Hollywood.

Introducing Bruce as Ashton's Dad was our favorite joke of the night.

17. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Wow, there was a fucking reason to watch an awards show that wasn't the Oscars? I dont think I have even know a person in my life that has actually watched the Golden Globes. With how 95% of the energy expended on designer dress commentary, 4% on the retarded gift packages to the stars, 1% for the actual awards I can see why no one gives a fuck anymore unless something/someone causes a stir.

18. KIMaster

KIMaster
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yeah, after speaking with a female friend of mine, she made the same point; Downey Jr.'s monologue about sleeping with all those actresses, in addition to being as funny as cancer, was a hundred times more offensive than anything Gervais said.

Unlike Ricky's bits, Downey's jokes were both vulgar and personal, especially when you considered each actresses had a boyfriend or husband sitting right next to her.

If anything illustrated the hypocrisy of a Hollywood celebrity, that was it; a midget crackhead getting pissy about a comedian's jokes, then immediately doing an insulting routine about how he fucked a bunch of famous actresses. In the words of that same friend, the guy looks like a bag of ass; if RDJ wasn't wealthy and famous, his sexual diet would mostly consist of fat chicks.

19. toddus

toddus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That was from last years show, I suspect you watched the wrong highlights. This years show is posted above.

note: I say this because I made the exact same error.

20. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Nah, I just wasn't clear that it still stands out as one of the greatest lines in live television history. Cause fuck mel gibson.