Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kindalas, Nov 8, 2014.

1. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know down south it is called Veteran's Day, but up here it's Remembrance Day.

When I was going to Elementary school it was always a big deal.

Full school assembly, veterans in attendance, speeches, Flanders Field, poppies the whole nine yards.

But to me it always seems to be about the people who died during war.

It didn't matter which side people were on they were all remembered.

Focus: How was Remembrance Day, Veterans Day or its equivalent treated when you were growing up.

Alt-Focus: Best/worst stories about people's behaviours on the day.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I went to a Canadian Military College (Royal Roads) and was a pilot in the Air Force, many many years ago.

I've never seen any kind of combat deployment or anything like that, but I have lost 5 close friends in various training accidents... as a result of a demolitions training session gone bad and a downed aircraft with 4 souls lost.

It's been a long, long time since I was in, but I still take time to remember the friends that I lost. I also think of all of the veterans that I've gotten to know over the years that have since passed.

I prefer to do my own, quiet, solitude thing... and am not one for crowds or the public cenotaph.

3. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In both New Zealand and Australia there is generally a moment of silence held at 11:00am and some school related stuff but it's not a massive thing anymore.

Most of that is saved for Anzac Day on the 25th April which is absolutely massive and generally results in a lot of drunk people in uniform.

I've been deployed while I was in the Army and now that I'm Air Force there is a good chance of going to visit the Isis clowns in the next two years as well. I've been fortunate enough to not have had any good mates visit Valhalla yet only a few that I've known second hand.

This is one of the best songs I've heard that does tribute to WW1 properly.

If you want an insight into it and listen to podcasts I highly recommend the last few episodes of this. Hardcore History

#3 Bundy Bear, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  4. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

My grandfather is about to die any day now (I'd rather be lit on fire than have dementia like that). He knows more he won't tell than I'll ever tell but won't remember.

Once he left the Navy, he was one of the highest-ranking civilians (can't tell you what rank for my privacy and his) during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

He can't, and I guess at this point won't, tell anyone what he was told not to tell. He's maintained that since I can remember. But what happened was, he went underground "somewhere around San Antonio" and he told his wife, with my mother and her two brothers, to skidattle. Instructions were basic: get as far as fuck away from here as possible, but I don't know how long you'll be there so make sure it has running water and electricity. They settled in some town that is now part of a pasture and farm land.

Man, to know what happened during those 3-4 weeks. Even during the onslaught of dementia he still tells me the stories he can tell, and when I ask him questions (usually starting with "where?") he changes the subject. He may not remember my name all the time, and each time I re-meet him I have to re-introduce him to my wife of 5 years. But he always remembers what he can and cannot tell.

Loyalty till the end.

5. DirtyHerk

DirtyHerk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Truth...I'm definitely the same way. Although I can appreciate the public fanfare and awareness, for me, I prefer a quiet place and a good scotch. To be honest, once you've lost someone, it's something you think about everyday anyway. Although that can really apply to life in general.

6. Reifer

Reifer
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Thursday was my birthday and today would have been my brothers 32nd. He was active duty when he was killed by a drunk driver so birthdays and Veterans Day are a bit difficult to get through now. Like almost every vet I know, I prefer to not create a lot of fanfare or look for any recognition for my or my brothers service.

I understand that the public at large wants to show appreciation to those that served, but what most people don't understand is we don't want that recognition or attention. Maybe it's just me, but whenever someone thanks me for my service, it makes me a little uncomfortable and I don't really know the appropriate response.

7. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm like Nett. I do not like crowds or public displays. I appreciate the sentiment, but this is the last place you'd find me today: Concert For Valor. Frankly, instead of a concert I'd rather see the time and resources spent fixing the clusterfuck that is the Veteran's Administration.

I tend to stay away from any free meal, movie, etc offers for veterans. They're well intentioned, but these offers invariably draw in vets who have an overly entitled attitude and the phonies.

The song I feel best summarizes WWI:

#7 AFHokie, Nov 11, 2014
  8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

As I mentioned before, when I was in college I lost some friends, and I was the lone piper for their service... Remembrance Day tends to bring that stuff back. Needless to say I got a bit drunk last night and fired up the bagpipes at a totally unreasonable time in the early AM. I'm sure my neighbours are going to scowl at me for a few days. But fuck em. Besides, I almost passed out half-way into the first dirge... I'm a bit out of practice.

We've had a thread on "Best War Movies", and my day will pretty well consist of watching most of the movies I posted THERE. Starting off with the Damn Busters, because one of the best military-related memories I have is from an original flight crew member coming in to our college and screening his copy of the movie that MGM(?) gave him, and having him stop it every few minutes to describe scenes, like, "That guy is playing me, and that guy is playing my best friend and pilot, who died 4 missions later..." It was incredible.

Happy(?) Remembrance Day.

9. DirtyHerk

DirtyHerk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Sounds like the right way to spend the evening to me...Dam Busters is a great movie. I'll likely be doing the same...12'oclock High, Battle of Britain, Great Escape, the Memphis Belle..the original from the 40s...good stuff!

10. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

#10 Nettdata, Nov 11, 2014
  11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

12. DirtyHerk

DirtyHerk
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I've had this brew before, IN Bastogne, and never knew the story...wow...color me educated....in keeping with the theme, some history regarding my beloved Hercules:

#12 DirtyHerk, Nov 11, 2014
  13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For us that's Memorial Day.

[​IMG]

The scars from war are not always visible, and the effects of those wounds are felt every day.

14. Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

My great uncle was one of 2 men in his regiment to return from Dieppe. Grandfather did his time in the RCAF as well.

Canada and allies picked a great day for some payback: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/isi ... ar-AA7CmVv

I believe this could be just the kind of thing our troops need after the recent tragedies.