Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Red wine garlic mushrooms

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Revengeofthenerds, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Revengeofthenerds

Revengeofthenerds
    Expand Collapse
    ER Frequent Flyer Platinum Member

Everyone needs a quick and easy side. This one is perfect for any kind of red meat (or as a burger topper). If you're doing chicken or seafood, just substitute your favorite white wine for red and add vodka or rum instead of worcestershire.

Ingredients:
    - sliced mushrooms (I used a 16 oz package from the grocery store for this recipe, just approximate)
    - approx 2 table spoons olive oil
    - at least 1 table spoon minced garlic (or more)
    - worcestershire sauce
    - red wine
    - herbs (I prefer fresh thyme and some rosemary, but sometimes I've just gotten lazy and added dried savory)

Instructions:
    - heat up the olive oil, then add the mushrooms
    - add minced garlic
    - pour in roughly a glass of red wine, then drink the rest of the bottle... you can't add too much wine, but then again, you have less to drink that way
    - add a few good shakes of worcestershire sauce. If you're doing this with white wine for chicken or seafood, substitute an ounce of vodka or rum
    - toss in the herbs. When you think you've added enough, add in more. You can also add garlic salt and/or some onion powder. Mushrooms are a powerful umami flavor and will absorb a lot.

Put it on med heat while you drink the rest of your wine until the mushroomshave reduced in size and look roughly like this**:

wineshrooms.JPG

Pour out the remaining liquid (or make the the house guest you hate the most drink it because fuck them), and put it on low until you're ready to serve. They WILL get darker by the time you serve. That's the point. They're just simmering in that sauce.

**this picture taken after I had drained the remaining liquid; I left a little in the pan so it could simmer while I did the steaks