Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The animation in Snow In The Desert is impressive. The way people are walking and the life in their eyes are MUCH more realistic than the standard video game style of others. (Although, I don't play video games, so maybe the latest ones are also that good.) The story in Pop Squad was interesting, but the animation definitely looked like a video game. But, I also liked the story in Snow In The Desert.

2. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Modok with Patton Oswalt is kind of like if the Venture Brothers got drunk with the Robot Chicken nerds.

It's clearly a passion project for Oswalt, and it's fantastic.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Nice... good to know, I was just going to dig into it.

4. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The final episode was awesome.

I thought I had the killer figured out three different times in the final episode. Three shuttle plot twists that actually lined up with the story. So good. It was my favorite seven hours of tv that I, in no way regret.

5. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not sure if anybody has caught it or not, but the animated Harley Quinn series on HBO Max has been hilarious to binge through the past couple of days. Only 2 seasons so far (with a 3rd on the way), but it's definitely a fun adult take on the Batman universe from the supervillain perspective. The only part that I don't enjoy is that I cannot have anybody other than Mark Hamill voice the Joker. Alan Tudyk does a decent enough job, but it sounds like he's trying to do a Mark Hamill impression the whole time.

6. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The one with Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy? I've watched that and it is great. I hated the HQ live actor movies but they nailed the animated show.

7. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The first season of that Netflix show Sweet Tooth was decent. It is definitely geared towards being a family friendly show that you could watch with your kids. Pretty clean, nothing too gorey or sexual. It's alright overall.

8. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That show is a fucking romp. There are a few animated DC shows that kill it: Justice League Dark is solid, and the Dark Knight Returns animated version is as faithful an adaptation as you'll find.

The Sweet Tooth comic was violent and gory as all hell. I got through one episode of the show, and wasn't ready for that kind of heartbreak....or the departure from the comic.

9. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I hadn't read the comic. I did look it up after watching a couple episodes. The show really heavily plays up the coronavirus outbreak parallel, but it was published in 2012 so this show was tailored for people to relate to given current events. Given some of the themes they touch, I could see the original comic being gorey as fuck. Like, people abandoning their children because they aren't "typical?" Experimenting on hybrids. Hunting children. After having a baby I am triggered as fuck with anything to do with harming a child so maybe that's why I was more hooked on the show. Hubs was barely paying attention to it while it was on.

10. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The "Big Man" character is a pretty stereotypical uber-violent comic character (Punisher, Marv from Sin City). Watering down the show is probably a good call.

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“Invincible” on Amazon is pretty good, because it’s a basically a frame-by-frame recreation of the comic, done in a slight anime style. This comic has some of the greatest character arcs ever, and like “The Boys” and “Preacher”, its run was limited and it has a real ending that stays ended.

12. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The casting was also really good, especially JK Simmons and Walter Goggins.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Oh yeah. This is a good one. I was a bit shocked how dark it got. Voice casting was on point.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The story is insane, and the violence gets more and more extreme. It goes so far and beyond a typical comic/superhero premise. There is SO much more to come, with not a single one-dimensional character to be found.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I was totally duped in the beginning. Groaning about how stereotypical all the heroes were and how lame it was, just a knockoff of others before it.

And then the violence crept in. Violence and utter depravity.

The characters like you say are very multifocal. Tons of development and facets to discover.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

New Archer is good stuff. RIP Jessica Walker. I'd been watching some reruns from the early seasons and her voice sounds a little weak this season.

In Ep 1, they drew The Professor and Alton exactly like the voice actors, lol.

Lana: Archer, you can't fly a helicopter.
    Archer: Lana, being in a coma doesn't make me any less of a helicopter pilot when I wake up.
    Lana: You've never been a helicopter pilot!
    Archer: Then we're both right.
    flies away in helicopter

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Love this show, and it's sad to see it end. I think they got hurt with some of the middle seasons going off the rails, and the politics of the moment simply couldn't permit the show to find it's footing.

Still, one of the best written animated shows.

Episode 2: was that Bill Hader as the cop??

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody watch "Only Murders In The Building"?

Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selena Gomez
    I've only seen the first episode, though I think Hulu released the first three yesterday. Comedy mystery. Decent pacing, good set up, basic twistiness, silly laughs. I liked it well enough to keep watching, but then I love anything with Steve Martin and brief Selena Gomez sideboob.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I can't remember if I heard about it here... but I just binged the first 3 seasons of Future Man.

It was way funnier than I was expecting.