Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Girls is genuinely an amazing show. You have to treat it like a satire. I have no idea if they meant it to be a satire, but if you treat it as one, it's genius.

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched most of it because my wife had been binging it. I think I laughed twice and I think both of them were bad puns the vet made. I was really working against the family. Especially after the characters started evolving around season 5.

To get back at her I will be binging MXC. It’s streaming on Amazon Prime currently.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I look at that show as a gross-out comedy. Because they were obviously trying to be funny, and it’s utterly gross and disgusting.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

If the satire aspect is a disgusting fat chick constantly fucking out of her league and then lamenting about it then it’s definitely hitting the mark.

Also, Lena Dunham is an admitted child molester.

5. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

To be fair most romcoms and comedies in general have the schlubby/betabitch/nerd guy that ends up getting the smoke show. In most cases the lesser of two smoke shows they just put nerd glasses on. I wont hate on Girls for going the other way. Ive only seen maybe a half of two episodes of that show and actually found Lena Dunham's on screen persona pretty engaging. Despite fingering her baby sister when she was young.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Yes, she did molest her own sister and did terrible things to her. Move along, nobody cares. Wrong side of the double standard there, chief.

#466 Crown Royal, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know how to explain it, because it's too on the nose not to be on purpose, but it's also at the same time a self-critique that they don't want to be true, while at the same time they're making it, knowing full well it's true...

The show has a habit of creating characters who are genuinely shitty men, and then having them deliver 100% accurate critiques of the main women. Like Adam Driver tearing apart an apartment in a manner that could easily be prosecuted as domestic assault, at the same time he's calling out how bullshit the friendship between two of the women are and how they're miserable bitches who only cut each other down to appease their own narcissism. Or the dude from the Lonely Island playing a straight up caricature of an "alpha" obssessed wannabe-chad, but at the same time calling out one of the women for it working on her and her caring more about the act than about him as a person. It's like Seinfeld or Always Sunny in the way that all of the characters are shitty, but it's also earnestly sympathizing with those characters, so it's mocking its own earnestness at the same time it's being earnest in exactly the way it's mocking? It's bonkers and I loved it.

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Standard new sitcom. Looks entertaining. I think Peacock is doing the "first season is free, then you gotta pay" deal.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Season 2 of Solar Opposites comes out March 26. Looking forward to see what’s happening in The Wall.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I've watched several episodes. The first was a letdown. Just not that funny. The Wall is still the best thing happening.

Anyone watch People of Earth? It's a show about a group of people who have been abducted by aliens. It's pretty light and goofy.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I've never watched either of them.

Do you mean "the wall" as in the Chris Hardwick show? I've heard of it, never watched it. Should I? I was a huge fan of his earlier shows, like After Midnight...

Haven't watched People of Earth myself...

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

OH WAIT! People Of Earth! I watched the first season and thought it was fucking hilarious! I had no idea it was around for 2 more seasons! I'll have to go find it.

13. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

The Wall is like an ant farm from hell.

There's a show within the Solar Opposites show where the alien replicant/boy kid shrinks down humans who annoy him and put them in this plexiglass wall unit. The humans inside have created a society. I don't want to spoil anything but it's my favorite part of the Solar Opposites show.

I'm only about halfway through the first season of Peole of Earth but am really enjoying it. Nothing too heavy or provoking so far, just fun and dorky.

There are some amazing shows out there these days, but something you need to balance out the Expanse, or the Boys, or other heavy shows with stuff like this.

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Totally hear you.

Speaking of which, the new season of Final Space has lit up.

15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

I haven't heard of that one, will have to give it a watch.

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

17. malisbad

malisbad
    Expand Collapse
    Town Drunk

So effing good.

Lately I've been watching a Korean drama "Crash Landing On You" with my wife. It's very good despite it's comical depiction of the DPRK.

18. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Argh. Only 2 seasons total. Canceled on some cliffhangers.

19. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I hate it when they Firefly good shows.

20. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There wasn't a dedicated thread to the show, but since we discussed Brockmire in here while it was on TV; Hank Azaria is doing a limited 10 episode podcast where he interviews various people in sports/entertainment as Brockmire. First episode with Charles Barkley dropped yesterday and it's hilarious.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jim-brockmire-podcast/id1558873755