Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I actually just finished it yesterday. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Definitely a good message and really important for people to understand what high school is like if you aren't in a popular group.

That said,
    I was hoping for some twists or alterations on perspective. At the end of the day, the kid was a huge pussy the whole time didn't make any moves on the girl when she was obviously throwing herself at him. Then, when he did, she freaked out and shut down. And then quietly blamed him. The plot made me angry and the fact that she made a bunch of tapes blaming everyone(granted, they were all shitty people) and not actually doing anything about it until the day she offed herself was a huge letdown.

I feel that the portrayal of high school life and the feeling of alienation is fairly accurate. But the plot bothered me.

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Brockmire.

Did anybody watch last week's episode? Jules left Charles (the teenager) in charge of the field while she was away. While left alone with the keys to a minor league ballpark he promptly:
    - turned on the PA system and just said "Titties. Titties, titties, titties!" into the mic
    - had sex (or tried) in the press box
    - watched the outfield grass catch fire

Tomorrow night is the season finale, and features "the big game" moment, including this clip:
    http://www.ifc.com/shows/brockmire/video-extras/season-01/episode-08/drunk-love

One of the things I enjoyed in watching the whole production up close were some of the technical filmmaking things they did. That particular scene was filmed over two days, with different camera set ups. As you can imagine when you're outdoors for that many hours in the Georgia Summer, the clouds and light are coming and going. You can see in the clip, that they did a pretty good job of making it look like there were no shadows (until the end). So, if you're watching, keep an eye on how well they do that. For those up-close dialogue scenes, they were able to bring in and move around this huge scrim (?) to block the sun - obviously, they couldn't do that in the baseball action scenes. That effected which takes they used, too. (Also, keep an eye out for how the 3rd base umpire is a dumpy white dude, until he has dialogue. Then he's a tall, black dude (Al Mitchell - nice guy, retired from IBM in Atlanta, and now a professional actor).

Also,
    upload_2017-5-16_11-52-47.png

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's a great show, and I'm really enjoying it. I hope they get picked up for a second season.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Is anybody watching (or already finished) Ozark on Netflix? I'm on episode 3. It's very compelling. It's a bit like Breaking Bad meets Justified.

7. Flat_Rate

Flat_Rate
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The wife and I just finished it, dark as hell but compelling tv, certainly isn't afraid to take chances.

Just another example of why regular network tv is dying.

I'd give it 9/10

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was trying to think of another word besides "dark" when I was describing it to a friend. Because, Breaking Bad was definitely dark, just looking at the subject matter itself. But, the tone of BB as a show wasn't dark. Ozark definitely is. And, a little deviant. If there's a word that describes dark + deviant + compelling, then that's the word to use.

9. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm on episode 4 right now and I like it so far. I'm unsure of how much I like Jason Bateman in this role though. Not because he's not a good actor but because I feel like I'm watching Michael Bluth laundering money. I keep finding myself comparing him to Walter White and I just can't visualize Marty Byrde taking that dark, dark turn.

10. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Finished it last night. Took me a while to get used to Bateman too. My only complaint is I never feel a sense of urgency from him based on what's going on. For some of the things that happen, you'd expect a person to be near meltdown. I think the season finale was pretty strong and tied it all together well. Overall, it's no Breaking Bad, but it's decent and I'll stick with it if they keep it going.

11. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anyone actually watch The Oreville? Seth McFarlane's Star Trek parody? It's getting savaged in media reviews but Im wondering if anyone has thoughts?

12. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I've seen that a ton of "critics" (I fucking hate critics) are throwing it under the bus, but I've also seen a few reviewers praise it for embracing the original Star Trek goal.

I'll probably end up watching it tonight, and am looking forward to it after seeing some clips and a few interviews with Seth. I'll definitely give it a shot.

13. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched it and quite enjoyed it. Rather light, a bit of schticky humour, and reasonable production quality.

Be aware though, I also enjoyed Pluto Nash.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My question is, how does MacFarlane come off? His other attempts at acting have been pretty bad and honestly the trailers didn't look promising in that regard.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

He's not as dynamic as James T Kirk, but I think he does well.

He's not winning a best actor emmy any time soon, but he didn't pull me out if the story at any time.

16. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think Seth MacFarlane is. Much like Adam Carolla in the acting department. He is serviceable. He will deliver the line, hit his marks and probably does not hold up production with mistakes. You are not going to get him to get into character so you better write his character to him. That said, I enjoyed "The Orville", but let's give it a few episodes to see if it developed.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

In case you've missed it, The Orville has been picked up for a second season.

I have to say, I'm really, really enjoying it.

The prank episode totally sold me... between Mr. Potato Head and cutting off a leg (under anaesthetic, of course), call me a fan.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Trailer for Altered Carbon on Netflix. Looks really cool.

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Great looking scifi show.

20. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Look like it has style to burn. They had better not waste Purefoy.