Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a Show

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nettdata, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I hear good things. The next one I guess is about Luciano, when is it on again?

2. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Alone in the dark, drooling on himself

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I'm not sure when it's on to be honest, I just download the torrents. Thus far all 3 have focused on Luciano's rise to the top of the heap.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just watched the first episode... it was good, thanks for the pointer. The other two are downloading now.

Also just watched the first two episodes of Ballers, the HBO show about football players and stupid money.

I'm sold.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I think Dwayne Johnson really found a terrific role for himself here, and Rob Courrdry is given the right type of role for his comic shtick. I love the character Johnson plays, its an interesting plot: less about the sport of football, and more about trying to babysit these millionaire man-children who have no impulse control. My only complaint is the show is so brightly-lit it looks like Hype Williams video. Don Shula's cameo in episode one was perfect: "You're an ASSHOLE. Bad life choices, son."

Johnson is INSANELY huge now, far more jacked than he ever was as a pro wrestler.

5. Currer Bell

Currer Bell
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So awhile back I was checking out Daniel Radcliffe's IMDB page and saw he was on a tv show with Jon Hamm called A Young Doctor's Notebook. Now, I am a fan of Daniel, not only because of his turn as the great HP, but also because he doesn't seem to be afraid of a challenge. I got to see him a year ago on Broadway as a crippled Irish boy - I think he will successfully avoid being typecast. And Jon Hamm...well, whether he is doing drama or comedy, he never fails to both entertain me and to make me tingle in my no no parts. BUT, when reading the description, it sounded like a bleak drama about a Russian doctor. Bleh, sounded boring as hell. FF to tonight, when I am perusing Netflix and I see it is listed under Comedies. Wha? So I watched the first episode. Apparently it is a black comedy. It was mildly enjoyable - I don't know if I would continue to see it if it weren't for the two leads, but regardless I am going to continue watching it.

6. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

That came out a few years ago, and I found it very entertaining... it was a hell of a stretch from Harry Potter, to be sure. Mind you, I'm a sucker for period pieces, never mind those with a Cold War version of Nurse Ratchett.

7. Zach

Zach
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watched the first couple of episodes of Blunt Talk. Found it quite funny.

8. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Limitless:
    A highly underrated movie. Brad Cooper actually acting, DeNiro being DeNiro. Fantastic premise; what if you could take a pill that would give you full access to the entirety of your brain at all times?

The show follows the same premise and the pilot starts out as nearly a carbon copy of the movie, but then it veers. It sets up the main character (douchy frat guy Evan from Greek who is a failing musician) as a foil for intelligence work, secretly backed by Coopers character from the movie. Deb from Dexter is his FBI handler. It will be weird to see her not cussing every other second.

Great premise, good actors, high hopes.

9. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

AMC is turning Garth Ennis' "Preacher" into a show. This put the "graphic" into graphic novel, but it is hands down one of my favorite stories.

Preview hits next week during walking dead.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I.... Don't know if I like that. Not that they're making it into a sow, but that it's on AMC and will be censored to a degree. That graphic novel is complete hardcore and should stay that way: GRAPHIC.

It is one of the best graphic novels ever made and I will certainly check it out, let's hope they don't fuck it up. It will certainly piss in the pool of the squeamish, mark my words.

Creator of the show? Ummm.....Set Rogan. I'm not even making that up. And Dominic Cooper as Jesse Custler. He's a good actor, but a small guy. I guess we'll see....

11. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I've heard some good things about a show called Public Morals, the brainchild of Ed Burns. Any of you Idiots seen it?

12. Parker

Parker
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

We had a pretty active Leftovers Season 1 thread, but that died because it was so weird and wonky, but this season is fucking killing it. I recommend people get back into it.

13. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Into the Badlands had an interesting first episode. There was a lot packed into it but the premise combines elements from feudal Japan, plantation era America, and Spartacus. It has some potential...

14. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

The Expanse.

It's a SyFy original, and I was turned onto it by one of my developers. He's read the 5 books, loved them, and 5 episodes into the TV show, he says they're being very true to those books.

I started watching the first one last night, and just finished the 5th one tonight... and it's GOOD.

I'm a huge fan of the hard-core science fiction (think Greg Bear type sci-fi), and this fits that bill.

I'm now a huge fan, and recommend it to anyone who's looking for some good sci-fi.

Personally, it's up there with BSG right now for me... but we'll see how it goes.

Anyone else watching it?

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Not yet, but Ive heard very good things as well. Ill probably check it out.

Anyone going to watch the X-Files when it comes back?

16. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Yep, I will be.

17. shabamon

shabamon
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Season 2 of American Crime started a few weeks ago. It's really, really intense for network television. Extremely well-acted, directed, and shot. The basic premise is there's an alleged crime and the episodes highlight how it effects the lives of those even slightly involved. Last season was a murder during a drug deal gone wrong. This season is a male-on-male date rape at a high school party. The audience isn't meant to know if there's any truth to the accusations. I don't watch much fiction television, but this always has me riveted.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Angie Tribeca.
    If you like the Airplane! and Naked Gun movies (or Police Squad! that birthed Naked Gun), then this show is for you. It's just stupid, silly funny. If you never liked those movies and thought they were dumb, don't bother tuning in.

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The shows I like always get canceled. It doesn't seem like anybody I know is watching this show, here or in irl. And, yet, it was renewed and they're filming Season 2. Go figure.

The show descriptions on IMDB read like this:
    But the guide "info" for the show reads like this:
    IMDB:
    Info:
    IMDB:
    Info:
    Bill Murray did actually guest star, but the Lt. does not have meningitis and it's never mentioned during any episode of the show.

20. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Just caught the season première of the X-Files, and I liked it. It feels like they just picked shit back up from where they left off and got the band back together.

They did, however, leave a little less to the imagination, which was a bit different than the first go-round, but in doing so they helped set up a pretty definite direction for the series.

I'll be looking forward to the next episode.