Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recommend a news site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dcc001, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Dcc001

Dcc001
    Expand Collapse
    New Bitch On Top

We may have done this before, but things change.

What sites are your go-to's for current affairs and world news? Any that you trust in particular? Ones that at least manage their bias reasonably and have highly informative content.

2. CharlesJohnson

CharlesJohnson
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Honestly? <a class="postlink" href="http://www.Fark.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.Fark.com</a>

They're a great aggregator for all items and sundry (such as 100 pound scrotum man). Their politics tab is fantastic. Lots of niche stories, local and state stuff, economics, items the mainstream doesn't pick up on. Important items even. The bias can go either way, though the comments are decidedly left leaning. However, the arguments there result in even more links to back up whatever position, so it's a wash in my opinion. It's a good discourse unlike the ham-fisted yokels on mainstream sites' comments

Plus, the whole point of the site is to satire real news. Yet it does a better job reporting than the actual news. It's hilarious.

I also use <a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnn.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cnn.com</a> because I loathe the layout of MSNbc, Fox, ABC, etc. It baffles me how all those sites are just f'n ugly and a pain to navigate. CNN isn't the best, but I just use it for headlines anyway.

3. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'll second Fark, and I'll add BBC.com for world news and I usually peek at Digg or Reddit for a glimpse of anything the other two might have missed. I have a google news timeline as my home page, but I can't remember the last time I saw something on there that inspired a click.

A good aggregator (is that a real word?) that I used to enjoy is Popurls.com

4. rei

rei
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

my main news comes from cbc.ca and slashdot.org (and reddit) - CBC is solid and fairly on the level, and slashdot is just my classic standby forever.

5. Veovis

Veovis
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Though I do get news from CBC, this comment I find nothing other than hilarious.

For the most part I just check the local city website as they highlight the main news stories each day from local/provincial/country/world. That way I have mild clues of something other than my own chaotic life.

The onion is often informative as well.

6. lyle

lyle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

The BBC and The Guardian are my most visited.
    The Guardian does lean every so slightly to the left in anything involving politics but is largely the most impartial UK news source. That and Charlie Brooker's columns are a work of a spite and venom filled genius. It seriously is worth checking out just for his rants on all aspects of modern pop culture he does every week.

7. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Twitter, as it turns out, is more than just laconic dick jokes.

I use it as an extremely targeted news aggregator by following writers and news organizations that I appreciate. You run the risk of following only like-minded folks who wil lconfirm your bias 24/7, but that can be avoided if you intentionally cultivate diversity in who you follow.

It's great to see what smart people are reading, thinking, and talking about.

8. toejam

toejam
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I also get the Economist and love it, but you have to admit it can be a little masturbatory. Do I like knowing what is going on in Montenegrin politics? Yes. Do I get anything beyond smug self-satisfaction from that knowledge? No.

9. lust4life

lust4life
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Interesting. Who do you follow?

10. Gravy

Gravy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Too many people, honestly. The vast majority are novelists/editors/book people, but I know that doesn't interest most people here. So I went through and pulled all of the accounts that I thought might interest TiB in general.

You can find them here.

But really it's whatever you make it. There's someone for everyone on there. Follow people, see who they follow, or mention and all of a sudden you are following 350+ people and have more recommended reading than you could hope to finish.

11. kindalas

kindalas
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I use Cracked mostly because to get away with being funny you have to do your research.

I also use Reddit, CBC, IMDB, BBC, and SUN News (Canada's Fox News but more unintentionally hilarious).

12. Evildreams

Evildreams
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

BBC, The Guardian, the Telegraph and Al Jazeera are the ones I visit most to get news about international affairs. Also, a very useful news website which I only found about recently is worldcrunch.com, they take news from articles from reliable newspapers worldwide and translate them to English.

I don't think there's a news company which isn't biased, they all have their agendas, I think you have to be smart enough to realise it and not believe everything the media tells you, for example I think RT isn't as bad as most people claim, does it have an agenda? Sure, but it's up to you to think and check more than one news service.

13. Cult

Cult
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This is pretty much my list, except I go to a few select sub-reddits. Problem is that reddit as a whole is ridiculously slanted to the left and anything that is conservative and remotely positive tends to get down voted to hell, and god forbid you read the comments of news articles, you lose brain cells faster than sitting in a closed garage with the car running.

14. RCGT

RCGT
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fucking this, print and website. Even the useless articles (the Montenegran election example above) are great for getting a big-picture view of the world.

I'll also second Cracked as a great general-knowledge site. Sounds stupid, maybe, but I always come off that site having learned something.

edit: Also, for the "outsider view," I swear by The Last Psychiatrist. There's not a lot of people who I see and go, "How the fuck are you so smart?" but that guy is one of them.

15. 6PPC

6PPC
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

My main source is <a class="postlink" href="http://www.reuters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reuters.com</a>. I trade during the day and they have a very responsive market section. I also check out fark.com.