Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was a completely forgettable movie. The only reason we kinda-sorta remembered it was because of the recent train derailment in Ohio. The wifey said "Didn't we just watch a movie that was like that?" The only memory we had of it was that it was weird and Adam Driver was in it. Had to Google "Adam Driver movies" and go through the list to find the name.

2. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

John Wick 4

Near constant action for 2.5 hours. Like how they expanded the world building. Everyone loves it, but i am not sure how i feel about it. Loved the action, maybe it was too much action, just something about it that i didn't like. If you liked the other ones it is a good theatre see.

3. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Super Mario Bros Movie

Yesterday was my birthday so my kids took me to see this and then we went out for Pizza.

If you want to celebrate the last 40 years of your life that was spent playing Mario games go see it. If you want to introduce your kids to Mario go see it.

If you want a decent plot or an actual film stay away.

The movie really understood its source material well. You will recognize so many things from games of old. The powerups. The worlds. They really nailed down the frustration of trying to beat a new level in Mario very well. The karts do power slide boosts (blue sparks).

Overall I enjoyed my hour and a half. 6/10. I look forward to the sequels if they happen. My kids thought it was a 10/10.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Took my daughter to see it yesterday for her first movie theater experience. I thought it was pretty fun and had a lot of cool Easter eggs.

7/10

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Anybody else watch Extraction II yet? The action and stunts are high volume and well-shot. Some really great, intense and original fight sequences, and I didn't find myself rolling my eyes at believability.

6. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I enjoyed it. Loved the "1 take" first fight sequence.

7. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

It's on the agenda for tonight. Looking forward to it.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Man, it was like a video game... I quite enjoyed it.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One and A Pear Tree or whatever it's called.

I loved it. It's a blast of action the whole time. The rigs and stunts and "real action" were just so fun. Beautiful people doing crazy things at top speed. Exactly what a Summer blockbuster in 2023 should be. Clever and funny without trying to be too cute. It's not a perfect movie, but I got my money's worth from that entertainment.

10. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oppenheimer:

A masterfully made movie that Id recommend waiting to see it at home. Nolan managed to make a 3 hour drama with Inception's pacing. The visuals and score obviously stand out. Sure it will walk away with a number of the technical awards and Cillian Murphy should be up for best actor. There was just a weird lifelessness to it. The dialogue went back and forth between pythy academic one liners and droll platitudes set to a fast paced Inception-esque score. I can't remember a single heart to heart scene between two characters that felt "real." Unfortunately the rest of characters other than Oppenheimer don't get fleshed out stories. Fortunately Cillian Murphy can care a movie by himself and I really like how they characterized Oppenheimer as conflicted to the bombs potential but in the words of Ian Malcolm "Your Scientists Were So Preoccupied With Whether Or Not They Could, They Didn’t Stop To Think If They Should." It was the best part of the movie. The third act did get tedious as it switched to a pure political intrigue subplot about him dealing with McCarthyism. I know it's based on true events but Im just tired of that trope in movies.

One of the best movies Ive seen in years but not a "omg you got to run out and see this right now!" movie like No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood.
    7/10

11. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Truman did not have kind words for him.

12. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that scene was added just so Nolan could shoehorn Garry Oldman in the movie.

13. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Oh I haven't seen it, I was referring to their real life meet where Oppie had all kinds of misgivings about the genocidal bomb he'd invented. Truman had no time for that bullshit, he's the one who had to use it.

14. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yes that exact meeting was in the movie. Only scene with Truman in the movie.

15. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

El Conde (The Count) - 2023

Available on Netflix now.
    I have mentioned before on an old Halloween thread that I love unconventional vampire movies (Daybreakers, Near Dark, etc.).
    Well, this is another one, and it will appeal to world history aficionados.

Beautifully shot in black and white, it chronicles the late life of Augusto Pinochet, the despot of Chile, who is actually a 250 year old vampire.
    No, I am not making that up.

Without spoiling anything, there is another important historical figure who comes into play, but you have to watch it for yourself, or else it won't make sense.

I'd say it's worth a watch.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Old Dads on Netflix.

For guys age 45 and up. Laughed my ass off.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Totally Killer (Amazon) was okay. Not super gory or super terrifying. Fun 80's references. Won't win any awards but decent date night entertainment.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thanksgiving

A guy dresses up as John Carver (guy from the Mayflower) and kills people in Plymouth, MA because his wife got trampled to death by a Black Friday crowd at a Best Buy-type store. Unironically, the movie was fun as shit and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. There were some real cheap one-liners and slasher tropes, but it was funny in intentional way. Also a great theater experience because the whole crowd was having a blast. Pretty decent slasher film, would recommend.

8/10

19. Volo

Volo
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was too fucking long. It should've been a buck 45 at most, and most of what could've been cut was how goddamn slow the dialogue was.

I get it, in the sense that over the course of 4 movies they had to keep ramping it up and ramping it up, but fuck me, I stopped giving a shit when he reached the church. My wife was already pissed enough about Scott Adkins being in a fat suit, then went to bed after the mook in the grey suit kicked John all the way back down the stairs. She didn't even ask me how the movie ended.

And fuck the idea of bulletproof suit jackets. The armored thugs were awesome in 3, as they represent a more difficult obstacle to overcome, but the suits are straight up stupid.

A+ direction though, with some really cool sequences like the overhead building sweep with the dragon's breath ammo, and despite my bitching and moaning here I rather enjoyed it.

20. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

GODZILLA MINUS ONE
    I still haven't made sense of the title, but I have my suspicion based on the resolution. Still, I strongly recommend this. If all you know of Godzilla is the silly rubber costume or the more American Kaiju efforts (not even including the absolute garbage that was 1999) this will hit you hard. It's Godzilla from the ground up, the human POV, the absolute natural disaster that he embodies wherever he pops up. Shit is not amusing in the slightest.