Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Yup. This is consistently a problem with Wanda in the comics. Depending on the whims of the writer she is powered up/down to suit the story.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't know if they have the dramatic power shift in the middle of the story for the comics, but I recognize that it's basically impossible for most super powers to be completely consistent over time. This isn't the first time Wanda has appeared, though, and I just don't remember such glaring power disparities in short stretches, before.

I mean, sure, "altering the fabric of reality" is a broken power because it's basically, "do anything you want." So obviously that's really hard to make consistent. However, as a writer, I would hope that would be recognized to mean, maybe we shouldn't let her melt one superhero with the tiniest gesture of her hand, and then pretend she needs to engage in a 10-minute punch-up with another one. Just pick a lane.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope-

The good. It is a slow burn movie and an original intellectual property which is sorely lacking these days.There are some tense, exciting, action sequences and a lot of little setups and payoffs that are fun. The bad, it feels like Peele is not being told no at all. He filled the movie with oddball characters to create a mood for the film but are under developed or unnecessary and add little to the plot. They could have axed the Geek Squad tech guy entirely and added more meat to Steven (Glen from Walking Dead) Yeun's character or developed Micheal (Top Dollar of The Crow fame) Wincott's character. The plot does meander and much of it feels like he was just smoking weed, coming up with odd moody concepts/characters, and just stringing them together with the thin plot of the movie. Ultimately unsatisfying if he was trying to emulate Spielbergian popcorn filmmaking storytelling.

6/10

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Prey

The best Predator movie aside from the first one. The plot and pacing were great, the action was brutal and it had probably one of the best female action characters since Ellen Ripley. It released on Hulu but it could have easily been a theatrical hit. Plus there was a really clever Easter egg towards the end.

9/10

5. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hear hear, this is great, and I bet there's some executives killing themselves over having "dumped" this on streaming and missing out on their cinemabux. This is the quality Netflix wishes they could produce.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Agreed, a completely intense and badass movie, and I usually hate prequels. I like that it brought back brutal violence and gave the Predator a feral and terrifying appearance. There was real horror to be found here, and the cast of no-names was excellent.

9/10

7. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Really enjoyed Prey for the reasons already stated, but also because:
    they didn't kill the dog for a cheap emotional gut punch/crying scene. Dog was badass and in it until the very end.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Agreed. They didn’t even fake kill the dog to have it miraculously survive at the end. It had a refreshing lack of tropey bullshit.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Speaking of lack of tropey bullshit, they didn't pull the Maggie Q thing where a 100 lb woman is trading blows with 200 lb men (or 300?lb Predators). Every time Naru got grabbed, she got fucking tossed. She won because she avoided direct contests of strength, had superior situational awareness, and utilized her weapons well and laid clever traps.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

First Top Gun Maverick, and now Prey giving us more of a beloved 80s franchise revival done exactly right. At this rate we might even get a good Terminator movie eventually.

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I don’t know how much worse they can actually get.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Don't say that, you will make it happen.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Prey was well done! Amber Midthunder is terrific as Naru. See it.

14. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was. She was. I did.

Good movie.

15. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Nope.

Boy, oh boy. This is no good. I enjoyed Peele's other films Get Out and Us. But, Nope is a nope. Too much pensive dramatic, pause for tension and not enough payoff. There were bits that were good, but it just wasn't stitched together well. There were unexplained sections that didn't relate to anything. Sometimes that's done to create the allure of mystery. This seemed like it was hamfisted film school "art." It's almost like the editing ruined it by keeping in bland parts and excising critical narrative. I trust Peele to learn from this flop and come back stronger, but don't waste your time.
    Also, the "alien being" in it's unexpanded form looked stupid. The "blossomed version was cool, but the saucer and cowboy hat/butthole combo was goofy.

16. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Finally saw Top Gun. They went out of their way not to name the enemy country, but they did give a few clues:
    • Has uranium deposits
    • Is not (yet) a nuclear-armed state
    • Has access to 5th Generation fighters
    • Is a signatory to treaties with NATO
    • Has mountainous terrain, green forests, and snowy winters
    ...it was Canada. Maverick bombed the shit out of British Columbia.

17. Misanthropic

Misanthropic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I saw this last night with the family. It may be heretical, but it was much, much better than the original. Better script, better acting, better plot, more action- every aspect was improved.

And the fact that they were dogfighting Canadian pilots was a bonus.

18. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Watching it cost me close to $250 (baby sitter, dinner, movie). And I have 0 regrets. It was the most fun I’ve had at the movies in years.

Tom Cruise is an ass hole but he made an amazing movie. Even my wife liked it and she generally hates stupid action movies.

It was such a refreshing departure from any movie I’ve seen in a long time.

19. AFHokie

AFHokie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was able to watch TGM about a month or so ago. The aviation sequences continue through the various camera angles and make sense this time. They also much more believable.

Retired F-14 RIO Ward Carroll has a great review of the movie and his other videos are worth a look.

20. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Like everyone else in this thread, I really enjoyed Prey. I had a couple super minor complaints but they are hardly worth mentioning. The protagonist had a nice story arc. She wasn't this perfect hero going toe to toe with a huge hulking monster. She was an observant, quick learner who used her wits and ability to plan to take down the Predator.

Oh yeah, and the doggie stole every scene it was in.