Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Probably one of the worst movies I've seen in a really long time. I went for dinosaurs and I got bugs. Also, none of the people that had guns, you know, used them to shoot the dinosaurs when they were in danger. This franchise should die forever.

2. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

I loved this movie so much. It was glorious, even the slightly stupid parts. I was either smiling or laughing through the entire movie - 10/10. Watch it. If this movie doesn't bring you at least some amount of joy, you have no soul.

3. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Agreed! Nicolas Cage was his awesome self (x10), but I thought Pedro Pascal absolutely killed it. It's a good time.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I haven't seen the movie yet, but this is a very interesting take on TOPGUN: Maverick

Dave Berke was THE TOPGUN guy who also consulted on the movie.

5. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Here's a breakdown of how the sequel never should have been made because Maverick would still be serving time in a military prison:

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Can you do a post for all the other entertaining movies that weren't realistic in law, had plot holes or defied the laws of physics? It shouldn't take long. There's only a couple.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I mean, there's an entire book about how Interstellar didn't actually violate the laws of physics. It's a pretty good read actually.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

First major point they make... "It's A Movie."

9. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I'm sorry, but that movie has a huge plot hole. Someone or something had to have created the wormhole. We created it after going through the black hole? GTFO of here.

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

…controlled through time by an infinite tesseract.

The science is there.

11. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Who created the wormhole?

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I thought the wormhole had randomly appeared and that the tesseract was created by future humans.

13. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I can't remember which character stated it, but one of them said it couldn't be a natural phenomenon and something/someone had to create it. If it was benign aliens then fine. But if it's future humans that were the result of plan B then bullshit.

14. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Interstellar was good and all, but for hard science you can’t beat Tenet.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah the whole time travel thing in that movie isn’t well-buttoned up and the science is very squishy. Why would humans even entertain a colony on a planet right next to a black hole? All of the data needed that was harvested from the black hole is quickly transmitted via Morse Code? If the meta-humans can alter time at will, why not just have Cooper go back to when his daughter is younger than 90?

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

If it was JUST a space travel movie about desperately trying to preserve life, it would be an amazing film. They nailed the oscillating wave planet (the ticking sound in that scene represents earth days being counted) and they took actual time to read about time dilation.

Then, the ending happened. What a cop-out. Seriously… a spaceship with an “eject” feature. You know, so you can get a whiff of that fresh space-air.

#1376 Crown Royal, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The ending rendered the rest of the movie pointless. It doesn’t make sense that the future humans would provide the details that save the species via some cryptic mechanism to a someone in the past. If they can manipulate time via a tesseract and navigate wormholes, what’s the point of involving Cooper at all? They could just put the necessary details on Michael Caine’s blackboard and say, “Hey retard, do these exact things to prevent an extinction event.” Even then, that wouldn’t make sense. It would be like giving Galileo instructions on how to build a nuclear reactor and telling him to not blow himself up in the process.

18. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So on the recent Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness movie... I liked bits of it but did anyone else feel as if there were chunks of the movie that just had no explanation whatsoever?
    When they get to Mt. Wundagore (spelling?), and the big scary monsters suddenly bow to Wanda and she does her, "it's a throne" speech. That seems rather key to me - why are these monsters on her side? Why do they seem to possess the same magic she does? It's not the Darkhold because she had this magic before the book. It looks like there's background in the comic books but why is the audience supposed to take this at face value?

Also, Wanda's magic just seems very arbitrary.
    Sometimes she can just cast red bullets, sometimes she can literally seal up the mouth of one of the most powerful people in the universe, and apparently his voice can destroy a planet but can't burst through some skin over his mouth hole.

Visuals were amazing. I wish they had gone a little more horror mode with Wanda's appearance specifically but it's hard to vault the visual design of the movie.

19. AbsentMindedProf

AbsentMindedProf
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

This isn't relevant to the Marvel movie universe, but in the comics Wanda is an Omega level mutant with the ability to manipulate reality. Her powers manifest as magic and there's some weird supernatural marvel stuff it's connected to. Wanda's comic history is wild because she's an X-Men and Avengers character and different writers for different books have defined her powers/history completely different over the years. This movie pulls from the supernatural marvel stuff, which is very very weird.

20. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I know a little comic lore from the X-Men but it actually never occurred to me until you said something that my knowing her from the X-Men should make it weird that she was in the Avengers too. I never read any Avengers comics as a kid, mostly just the X-Men (and frankly not even enough of those to be able to have a real grasp on all the characters).

But really that's what I mean - her ability to manipulate reality was showcased in some parts of this movie, and in other parts her best offense was shooting glowing red balls. There is always some bending of supernatural powers to suit a given situation, but it's just startling when, within a single fight, she'll
    simply dissolve Reed Richards where he stands, and seal up Black Bolt's mouth so he blows the top of his head off, both with absolutely no effort, but not, you know, melt Captain America's legs or whatever