Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think this was released last August? But, I don't see that anyone has posted here about it.

Coda is very good. I think in the last 5 years, the only thing I've given a 5/5 rating to was 1917. This is a 5 for me. It was poignant without pandering, and was a lot funnier than I was expecting. The cast was very strong all around. Wonderfully shot and very relatable. Congratulations to all involved for the Best Picture win.

3. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Few months late because it was contractually off HBO since a month after it's release?

The Many Saints of Newark

This is a sloppy, badly written, fan service movie that really didn't need to be made. Tries to squeeze to many show characters and easter eggs in instead of solid character building and story arcs. The main story about Dickie "Chris-tu-fah's fatha" Moltisanti suffers because of this and never lands. Head scratching bad ideas, odd narration by Micheal Imperioli from hell, step family fucking, a well past his acting prime Ray Liotta killed off and then reintroduced as a twin brother a few scenes later. I wouldnt say the tonal fall off was as bad as Game of Thrones from season one to season eight but I kept thinking to myself "this is not better than any single Sopranos episode." See it if you are a fan of the show but there is no reason to rush to see this.

3/10

4. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Moonfall

If you put 2012, Mission to Mars, and Armageddon in a blender and then sucked it out with an anti-entertainment straw, you'd get Moonfall.

2/10

5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

What were they even thinking when they made that movie? “Let’s spend $140 million on an indie film, and let’s hire the worst director in the game to create it.” Let’s also not forget to mention that the plot is simply the dumbest fucking thing ever thought up for a movie.

It’s as if they were intentionally trying to insult the audience’s intelligence while boring them to death.

6. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Roland fucking Emmerich is a indie director now? Have some respect for our God of Spectacle. He made 2012, what'd you think this would be?

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

I thought it would be terrible. Because there a simple law to making pictures: if you don’t want your movie to suck, don’t hire Roland Emmerich.

Its not just the director, though. Scorsese couldn’t have saved a script this stupid— the moon is a White Dwarf star protected by some artificially intelligent….. thing. And it’s crashing into earth, so it’s up to three astronauts to stop it.

Christ. I prefer endless remakes over THAT.

#1327 Crown Royal, Mar 31, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  8. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Much like West Virginia, "suck" is a relative term. Emmerich and Michael Bay are in that select category of "bad movies, but spectacularly entertaining". You cannot measure them by the same metric as other films. To quote Roger Ebert, "are they good at what they're trying to do?" To my knowledge, every Emmerich movie is a good Emmerich movie, he's consistent.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

You thought Stonewall was consistent? You’d think a gay director making a movie about the most important moment in the history of gay rights would at least try to make a decent movie. It’s like he fucked up everything about the movie intentionally.

10. GcDiaz

GcDiaz
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I dunno anything about Stonewall. Was it supposed to be a serious movie for serious people? That's your problem right there. Emmerich should stick to the rivers and the lakes that he's used to.

11. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I was prepared for it to be bad, but enjoyable, like Armageddon. But it was just bad, straight up. Patrick Wilson and Halle Berry are great actors, but they're not charismatic ones who can rescue shitty writing through sheer force of personality. Compare that to Armageddon which had Bruce Willis, Steve Buscemi, Owen Wilson, Billy Bob Thornton, William Fichtner, Michael Clarke Duncan, Keith David, Jason Isaacs, and Peter Stormare doing that in almost every scene.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Patrick Wilson looks super uncomfortable in every single role I’ve seen him in.

13. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

He’s pissed off. He’s sick of Will Arnett constantly being the better version of him.

14. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think it’s hilarious how comedic actors can do serious work better than a lot of “serious” actors.

15. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Agreed. I think Bob Odenkirk is one of the best examples of that, ever.

16. xrayvision

xrayvision
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Absolutely. And he does action stuff really well. “Nobody” was up there in quality with John Wick as far as action was concerned.

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

I was also impressed with John Krasinski's portrayal of Jack Ryan in the same way... went from playing this soft dude on The Office to kicking some ass and being believable.

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Robin Williams too. Not just serious acting, but also played a great sick mind in Insomnia and especially One Hour Photo (one of the most underrated movies ever made).

19. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

He is great as Jack Ryan. I think he got that gig after the movie 13 Hours, but how someone saw he could go from clean-shaven Jim to macho beard guy in 13 Hours is impressive. Jack Ryan season 3 wrapped filming last Fall, so it should be hitting Amazon in April or May.

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only thing of note of this movie is Robin Williams played way against type. Other than that it was not good. It played non stop 24 hours day on one of the three channels on a cruise I was on. It was either that, Liberty Stands Still, or a 3 minute loop of the days activities on board. I think they want to force you out of your cabin to buy booze and gamble by playing B movies on loop non stop.