Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

You can kiiiinda explain Cap's send off if you assume the film plays by the "you can't change the past" thing it set up in act I (and is explained really well in 12 Monkeys), even if much of the rest of the film abuses that rule to hell and back. In that case Rogers would live out his life knowing that he can't change the things that are already in his past, even if they're in his current timeline's future, and so just lives as a simple man.

As for Captain Marvel, her power is explicitly shown to come from the tesseract, which is the space stone, and yet all her abilities are all power and no space, so that never made sense to me.

#1081 Aetius, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Alright, following in Juice’s footsteps. Spoilers below.

It was a series finale. Was it perfect? No, but it had a shitload of fan service and finished the story with no intended cliffhangers. I’d go see it again and probably will.

So regarding Steve Rogers and the Time:
    -This is just my brainstorming...if he went back in time, put the stones back, then jumped farther back to be with Peggy, that would basically mean that Peggy doesn’t marry another man which now creates an alternate timeline - UNLESS her husband is always Steve (I believe they never reveal who her husband is in any MCU movie/show?) who is living a dual life incognito, hidden from everyone except Peggy, while his younger self is frozen. Because if he can’t really change his past (which now includes everything in the movies up until he goes back to return the stones), then he just has to chill, enjoy civilian life, and wait until Tony’s funeral, and then sneak onto a park bench. That’s the only way I can reconcile it, because if he lived out a life with Peggy in an alternate timeline, then jumped back, he would have appeared on the landing pad, as per the rules of the movie.
    Of course, that’s convoluted and full of holes, and the movie breaks its own rules. But it was still entertaining.

Also...this would mean Steve kisses his own niece, which is some interesting collateral damage.

#1082 NatCH, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
  3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Just fucking spoiler it, guys. It takes one click and anyone else who might want to post (or look for) a non-Endgame review doesn't have to wade through it. "Stop reading below this line" doesn't work because your eyes naturally pick up words and phrases even if you don't read it deliberately.

I don't think 72 hours is a great cutoff point for, "well, you all must have seen it or know the ending already."

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Y'all done pissed off the muppet. But I kind of agree with him. I can't see it until this weekend, so I do appreciate it... or, you know, spin up a new thread if you want to.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

You’re gonna love the part where Batman dies, so enjoy.

Fine. The one click to apply the spoiler tag doesn’t always work on mobile, which is the only method I really use to go on the board and why I didn’t bother. But I figured everyone knew the twists by now since theyre all over the Internet and social media. I’ll spoiler tag until it’s been out a few weeks.

6. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Saw it twice this weekend.
    I'm slightly disappointed they didn't introduce any new characters...not that there wasn't plenty, but a fucking X-man cameo or FF would have lit the theatre on fire.

Captain Marvel is supposedly the Marvel answer to Superman: ridiculously over-powered, not really a fun character to develop or watch, and yeah...pretty much always used in that vein. I also think the same could be said of Dr. Strange and the magically-inclined: theoretically some magic trick could end the whole thing, so why bother? Compared to Superman, Larson's portrayal of Marvel is far better to watch than most versions of Superman, but it's an admittedly low bar (and the girl power shit in comic movies is getting a little old, especially considering the success of "Wonder Woman").

The "girl power" fight scene at the end was ham-fisted and fucking retarded. Like, Danvers is supposedly able to go toe-to-toe with Thanos, but needs help from Black Panther's little sister's jaguar mittens? It worked well in the previous film with Black Widow and Scarlet Witch's fight in the ditch, this was just cringe-inspiring.

Also, the Hulk-Banner singularity was a good move, I think. It resolved the issue from the previous film well, and removed the "hulk out as a plot device" complication.

Hawkeye's arc was well-done, as he played a bigger role than I would have thought. I figured he would have been the one to be "sacrificed" for the soul stone, given the egregious gangster-murdering, and I would have shit a kitten for his daughter to be Kate Bishop (the female Hawkeye). Seriously, the recent run of Hawkeye (I think starting in 2016?) comics is one of the most fantastic takes on the character and well worth reading.

The "sad, fat Thor talks to mom" plotline was kind of stupid. There had to have been a better way of dealing with Thor's fallout than that.

I was surprised at the "deaths": Stark, Black Widow and Cap were the only three not making these movies any more? I was also surprised at how much screen time Cheadle had....in most of the other films, he wasn't as large of a presence? I kind of assumed a few more of those characters would be taken out, like War Machine, Thor, Wong, Hawkeye, etc.

Also, surprised at how very little threw back to the Ultron film. The time-travel sequence focused on so many of the other Marvel movies, it felt odd that that one was almost completely ignored. Vision's non-presence was very odd to me. Why didn't he return after the snap was undone?

Anyone else catch the weird kid with the funky hair at the Iron Man funeral scene? I'm thinking that's the kid from Iron Man 3, slightly grown up now, and likely to assume the mantle of Iron Man in some of the future films?

It wasn't as solid as Avengers 1, but far better than 2&3, and a satisfying conclusion to this phase of the MCU.

It was surprisingly funny, and for a movie that lasted damn near 3 hours, it was bound to drag at some points, but it was tolerable.

I think after this movie Paul Rudd gets upgraded to "national treasure" status like Sean Astin.

Plot holes abound, so don't go in expecting solid storytelling logic.

Not as kid-friendly as I'd thought, the violence was not so cartoonish as it was in the earlier films. Very little relationships/sexual tension going on, which was also surprising.

The music was...uninspired. Silvestri did a good job, but there was nothing creative about it.

If you compare this to Thor:Ragnarok, it weirdly lacks the stunning visuals (to be fair, T:R was every 80's metal album cover turned into a movie). It went for "lived-in", so you get a little shaky cam, you get a lot of cinematic tropes (slow motion, CGI-gasms, and a lot of dramatic close-ups). For a movie with characters described as iconic, there were very few scenes I remember that would look iconic on their own.

All in all, go fucking see it. It was a tremendous send-off, and given the range of talent assembled, I can't think of another film that's going to get close.

I can't wait to see what they announce now that we know who the "survivors" are.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Because didn't die in the snap? Thanos ripped his head open to take the stone? Also, there is going to be a Wanda Vision TV series, so some how that's related?

And, yes, that's Harley Keener, played by the same actor. So, yes?

8. bebop007

bebop007
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I doubt I can add much to the Avengers talk but

The replacement Gamora reminded me of this scene in Beerfest:

"It's like we never even lost Gamora!"

It was a great movie overall, time travel shenanigans notwithstanding. They deserve a lot of credit for wrapping things up as solidly as they did.

9. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Not only wrap up, but setting up new movie's. The spoiler you referenced is likely central to GotG3 plot.

10. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Am I the only one who thinks it would have been HILARIOUS if the reason Jane broke up with Thor(which never gets explained in Ragnarok) was because she sees him fat and drunk and thinks “so THIS is what I have to look forward to???”

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Avengers: Endgame

“Ohhhh! So THAT’S how to invent time travel!”

...push that aside, and the fact you have a three hour superhero movie with almost no action scenes until the everything-including-the-kitchen-sink climax. Instead, it’s mostly a comedy-drama as the main characters (many of them, and balanced well) fight inner demons. Surprisingly, it’s all handled with terrific deftness. It’s kept unpredictable with plenty of fun cameos and nudge-nudge moments spread out over the entire MCU film franchise. It ends strong. With plenty of laughs along the way and strange character directions you don’t see coming. It doesn’t feel three hours long and that means it’s effective.

Fans of both Marvel comics and the MCU film franchise should be pleased. My guess is Galactus is the best bet to be the next super-duper villain for the “phase four” of the franchise.

9/10

12. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The only people who got "fixed" were the ones who disappeared in the snap. Gamora (and, for that matter, Vision) die in Thanos' effort to obtain the stones, so there's no fixing them

I don't think Thanos is as weak as you're suggesting.

Thanos doesn't use the power stone with the Hulk, he literally just fought him; the stone doesn't glow, there's no indication he's using its power, he one-on-one beats the shit out of the strongest Avenger with no help. The team that almost beat him resorted to essentially trickery, not overpowering him; in fact, a pretty compelling point was made that it required an entire team of people and all of Iron Man's tech to give him a scratch on his face. Thanos is obviously aided greatly by the stones through fights, but the fact remains that there have been no compelling limits set on his physical power. Everyone who goes toe-to-toe with him gets physically overpowered - it's pretty clear (to me) that slipping past the stones defenses and engaging with Thanos directly has yet to show any inkling of success.

Where is this shown otherwise?

In any event, I think the "we might lose" comes from the overall situation. It's not All The Avengers vs. Thanos. It's All The Avengers vs. Thanos + Minions + ship + an entire army, with the actual stones precariously being dragged around the battlefield, where any of the enemy laying their hands on them would spell a sudden end to the conflict.

Overall, I really enjoyed it.

I struggled with Captain Marvel's character. This movie really requires the backstories of the other characters for them to be compelling; there isn't enough space here to make each one compelling in their own right. All of those characters have multiple movies, long released, to establish them.

Captain Marvel has one movie, and it's still in theaters. There's no backstory here if you haven't already seen it in the theater. So this character shows up and we're supposed to feel... what, exactly? Yet she has a disproportionate impact on the outcome of the movie. I think Marvel screwed up there; you can't expect everyone who wants to watch one of the most anticipated finale movies in the last decade to have also already seen yet another spinoff character movie, which hasn't even gotten out of the theaters yet. If she had been a character in a previous Avengers movie, okay. But here? Meh.

But that quibble aside, and some question marks around the power of certain characters or items, I thought it was great. Genuinely funny, good character arcs, and some surprises. The initial scene(s) of the movie were, for me, wholly unexpected.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

I really hope not, the Kree-Skrull saga was boring. The only saving grace is you really need to establish the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer in the MCU to make that work. The last FF movie was absolute trash and you cant use the cast before it because it would be odd if the Human Torch looked identical to Captain America. So they would have to start the FF all over again.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

NOBODY fucking wants that. Don’t be surprised if they simply full-stop the Captain Marvel direction. It is just not a big hit with people. The movie wasn’t that good and she performs like she took acting lessons from Christopher Lambert.

15. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

And they should start all over again. Spider Man’s introduction into the MCU shows that you don’t need to get bogged down with an origin story script for superheroes that are on their third film reboot.

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Can we all come together and admit every movie Fantastic Four movie sucked? They fucking SUCKED.

Start them from scratch. Doom is one of the top Marvel villains, with the right casting it could be a big winner. And it was FF that famously had to deal with Galactus. Who came in the form of a swirling nothingness in past films.

17. joule_thief

joule_thief
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

John Wick 3: I didn't feel it was as good as the first 2, but still a good movie, 7/10. Basically, the movie just felt like it was on cruise control setting up the series to come, which is ultimately fine with me.

That said, Dacascos played a pretty good antagonist. Halle Berry did a great job and the Belgian Malinois were awesome. The gun play was generally outstanding as usual.

As an act of contrition for the High Table, Wick cuts one of his fingers off. Biggest pet peeve was the scenes they forgot to photoshop out the finger.

18. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Booksmart

The idea of a movie like Superbad or American Pie with the genders of the leads swapped was intriguing, but I found it to be a huge disappointment.

On the positive side I thought that Beanie Feldstein was terrific in the lead role. In teen films it always seems like the female ugly duckling character is played by an actress that is still cute. But Feldstein was perfect for the role, and she and her lesbian best friend had great rapport together. The problem was though that they had to carry too much of the film on their own. Feldstein's character's family life was never mentioned at all, and most of the other characters were underdeveloped. My favorite scene was the bathroom scene at the beginning of the movie, so I would have loved to have seen more from those three characters who Feldstein had the exchanges with. It was also extremely predictable that the two best friends would end up getting into an argument and separating during their night of fun before their high school graduation.

It earned an R-rating, but for what the film was supposed to be it was surprisingly tame. I think that I laughed out loud once, but that was it. I also was not a fan of the political innuendos that were inserted throughout the film.

I did like the message about how the overachiever finds out that the supposed slackers have actually done well for themselves academically and professionally. True, it was unrealistic that so many kids from one high school would be going to prestigious schools, but since the film took place over the course of 1-2 days as opposed to several years it had limited options as to how to send that message.

At 105 minutes long it was an appropriate length, but it honestly felt 30 minutes longer than that while watching it. I say skip it.

4.5/10

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Big Foot

A truly weird, but generally fun movie. Sam Elliott stars as Sam Elliott (basically) who assassinated Hitler and a few decades later is tasked with killing Bigfoot, because of a virus or something, but he happens to be immune. Larry Miller is his brother, and he’s always fun to watch, even after his brain injury. The movie takes itself very seriously which is what made it so absurd but enjoyable. It wasn’t amazing or anything, but not a bad way to kill 90 minutes.

6/10

20. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Once Upon a Time In Hollywood:

Honestly, just a meh film. You really can't compare his Tarantino movies to other movies, just to other Tarantino movies. Stacked up against his other movies Im not sure it's bottom half or top. I had hoped with a more modern set movie that was somewhat based on reality it would be more like his first handful of films that relied on all time great dialogue, stand out performances, classic characters you'd find in no other movie, and slick storytelling. Ive grown weary of his odes to exploitation camp in his past few, save Inglorious Bastards. In this film it's more of an ode to 50-60's television camp. It's basically 2 hours 40 minutes of an ode to Hollywood's golden years of television, long shots of vintage LA, and the underlying dread of the Manson murders that is resolved in the last 5 minutes of the movie in terribly predictable Tarantino fashion.

Brad Pitt and Leonardo Dicaprio take of 98 percent of the film but neither of their characters get any real development and there is a supreme lack of stand out or memorable dialogue that usually can carry his films. Nothing comes close to the opening diner scene of Reservoir Dogs, the bible quoting hit scene in Pulp Fiction, or the opening scene of Inglorious Bastards. Margo Robbie is window dressing and given zero to work with. Al Pacino must have just been a straight favor to Tarantino and the marketers (first time Pacino has been directed by Tarantino!!!!), he's in 1.25 scenes and add less than nothing. Damian Lewis had a single scene as Steve McQueen and nailed it so well I was disappointed that's all he got.

Just like the past two Tarantino films it's hard to give them low score when it means comparing them to the terrible dreck it's normally reserved for.

1-10 on the Tarantino scale it's probably a 5. It's not bad but left a helluva lot of wanting. More watchable than Django, Hateful 8, or Death Proof. Not the same tier as Pulp Fiction or Inglorious Bastards.