Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Captain Marvel

This is a tough one and Im on the fence about it. Maybe Im getting sick of the MCU since theres been what, something like 20 movies now? I dont know. There were things I liked about it and things I didnt. I guess I just dont see the appeal of Brie Larson. She just seemed a bit lame and Im not sure she really pulls off headlining a big blockbuster like this. It really should have been another actress like Charlize Theron, who was speculated to be in the role for a while before it was announced. The story was "meh" and was ostensibly an origin story about Carol Danvers and ended up feeling like a pseudo-origin story about Nick Fury. Captain Marvel was never a really interesting comic book character to begin with, so thats a big part of it. The mid-credits scene was the best part of the whole film. I would probably not recommend seeing it in the theater. Its about as good as Avengers 2, Guardians 2, etc. Very much in the mid-tier range.

5/10

2. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought she was fine. Although, it bothered me that when she runs, her feet flip out. But, when her stunt double ran, it was noticeably not that.

I agree it was mid-tier, but I'd give it a 6/10. And, I don't mind seeing a 6/10 at the the theatre when it's part of the set. I enjoyed it simply for the Guardians of the Galaxy meets Top Gun vibe.

3. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Captain Marvel -

I agree with the mid tier perspective. It’s an okay story, and not at all bad writing. I just wish Larson had been a little less...stiff.

4. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

“Wooden Indian Performance” is how I would define it, bordering on charmless. Possibly the weakest MCU entry along with The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

5. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you forget about Thor 2?

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It was really funny despite the fact it was more corny than the entire state of Iowa. The third was was by far the best of the three.

7. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The moments she was able to let go of the direction they had her in and actually showed some light?
    That’s something.

The be stiff and grit your teeth?

Hard to ignore.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thor Ragnarok was probably the most pure fun Marvel movie aside Guardians 1 and the first Iron Man.

I literally slept through 2/3 of Thor 2. It was that boring.

9. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Dawn Wall

This one came out in 2017 but I just caught it on Netflix. It's a documentary about two guys attempting the first climb of El Cap's dawn wall in Yosemite (it's the first thing in Yosemite valley that gets hit by the sun each morning, hence the name). I was completely engrossed the whole time, really well put together.

9/10

10. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, you’re all part of the problem, then. This is the best MCU movie ever, because Captain Marvel is a strong female!

Seriously though, it’s just filler. The entire story is in the trailers:
    -Earth woman is somehow superhuman
    -Doesn’t remember who she is (so naturally she will learn, and harness her powers)
    -Nick Fury is there and has two eyes (so we’ll see how he loses one).

The movie is out now so that the general public knows who Carol Danvers is when she appears on screen in Endgame.

11. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

There is one other reason: increasing enlistment in the Air Force the way Top Gun did for the Navy. AF is now running an ad featuring all female pilots and cool planes with the tag line, "What will be your origin story?" Kinda cool, really, if the movie inspires a bunch of girls to grow up and be AF pilots.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Dirt

Like “Straight Outta Compton” this is a non-stop fun and entertaining bio-flick, the kind you can watch more than once. I’m a Crue fan. All my closest friends are. I’ve read the book many times, it’s a dog-eared staple on my shelf and I can honestly say this movie did it right. Four bullseye performances that recreate this degenerate band— and their actions— honestly and humourously. All actors nail their roles. And they need to use the guy who play Ozzy in this when they make HIS bio. Good lord, that was great comedy.

It reacreates the dizzying metamorphisms the rock music to perfection in terms of clothes, personalities and sleazy raunch. It’s far from perfect filmmaking. It’s done right for it’s time by Jackass founder Jeff Tremaine. But for fans of Motley Crüe and that notorious autobiography... this is EXACTLY the film you asked for, completely loyal to the book, and it was worth the wait.

8.5/10

13. dixiebandit69

dixiebandit69
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just watched "The Dirt" yesterday, and I was a bit disappointed; not one mention of the spaghetti incident.

14. toytoy88

toytoy88
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The fucking desert. I hate the fucking desert.
    I finally got to watch "The Dirt" today. It's pretty good, I wouldn't mind having it on Blu Ray, but seeing as it's a Netflix property that's probably unlikely.

Am I the only one that noticed that Mick Mars' depiction in the movie seemed to be based on Tucker's movie Slingblade character?

15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I see what you’re saying. The performances/characters both have that monotoned nihilism that are similar. But I doubt anybody in The Dirt watched that movie. He played Mars how I pictured him to be. He was a loner, older than the others by a decade and a broken shell of a frame.

16. Bob the Builder

Bob the Builder
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Saw “The Mustang” at my local indie theater. Mostly disappointing and predictable redemption story. Not enough substance to make it believable or to care very much. One scene made it worthwhile, but won’t spoil it here and it might only be impactful for me because of my own psychic place in life right now.

Wait for Netflix or not at all. 4/10

17. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hellboy.

Milla Jovovich is dope as hell. David Harbour did an admirable job, and thank God this got an R-rating.

That said, it felt poorly stitched together. Ian McShane as a distant dad felt...weird. The plot lines were pretty similar to the first film, and it missed sorely on Guillermo Del Toro's world building talents featured in the second.

Soundtrack was predictable, CGI gore galore and the rest of the acting was kind of meh.

If you loved the comics, it's worth seeing. Casuals beware.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Avengers: Endgame
    I enjoyed it very much. Packed theatre, lively but not distracting crowd. I'm not going to review anything so I don't have to spoiler it. But, there are some great laughs, some tears, good script, and good action. I liked it much better than Infinity War.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Avengers: Endgame

I also really liked it. I caught a 6pm show which was full of nerds that laughed and clapped at everything, but comes it with the territory. After 22 movies, it was a great end to current MCU. And I really liked how they wrapped up the series with the movie mostly being about the Phase 1/original Avengers. God dam does Marvel have a good script supervisor. That’s an insane amount of shit to keep track of. I know they try to make these movies so you dont necessarily need the background of the others, but with Endgame it would probably be impossible to know whats going on without it. At 3 hours, it probably could have been 20 minutes shorter. The Nebula switch-a-roo side story was probably not really necessary, but not once was I bored. Some spoiler thoughts:

-It was pretty clear ends for both Captain America and Iron Man, obviously. It wasnt a surprise that they killed Tony Stark in this one. RDJ wanted no option for Tony to come back. Same with Captain America I think. Good send offs for both.
    -I guess Black Widow doesnt get the same funeral Tony does. I felt absolutely nothing when she died. Just not a compelling character.
    -The Captain Marvel entry into the final battle was a pretty big deus ex machina. Shes still just as boring as her solo movie and they really should have never introduced her until Phase 4.
    -There was a ton of shit that really didnt make a lot of sense (Professor Hulk, Iron Pepper Potts, Capt. suddenly wielding Mjolnir, etc.), but whatever.
    -Will be cool to have Thor in Guardians 3.
    -How they went back and to the invasion in 2012 to get the Infinity Stones from Avengers 1 was really cool
    -Fat Thor was awesome and Hawkeye is a great character. I hope they keep him for the next version of MCU.
    -One question: Where did Loki go with the Tesseract? That’s it?

Overall, I really enjoyed it and I will probably see it again to take it all in. It was a great wrap-up for the Infinity Saga.

9/10

Also dont waste your time staying for anything after the credits. There isnt anything.

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Excellent comments, I agree with all that and had some of the exact same questions.
    For
    Loki: alternate timeline, like The Ancient One was explaining, maybe? Also, there's going to be a Loki TV show, and I think he can time jump and effect historical events? So, this is a set up for that?
    And, there were big notes on the doors of my theatre saying "There is no mid-credits or after-credit scene in Endgame" and when the cleanup crew came in during the credits, a manager came in shouting out "There are no more scenes, I promise! You can leave." They have so many showings, the next show was pretty quick after that one. I always stay through the credits of every movie though. Plus, I like seeing the Georgia film logo at the end.