Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Polar

Extraordinarily terrible. The previews didn't look good, but I thought it would be at least mild entertainment.

It was awful in all of the ways a movie can be awful, without being awful in any of the ways a movie can become funny or campy. I simply have no idea how anyone involved in the project thought the movie was going to be a success.

It tried to be serious and silly and gory and funny and poignant and absurd all at the same time and failed on every single level. It's a rare action movie that I find no entertainment value in. This is one of those special gems.

-10 / 10

2. Now Slappy

Now Slappy
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

It's funny that you bring this movie up. One of the guys who works for me has been pushing us here at the bar to watch it as he has a friend who is in it. I haven't watched it yet, but his buddy is the the drug dealer who, I guess, gets shot on the couch?

I'll probably watch it, but thanks for the warning.

3. Binary

Binary
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The movie was so utterly forgettable that I had to seriously scrape my brain for who that person was, and I only finished watching the movie about 3-4 hours before I posted that. If it's who I think it is, the person is in the movie for about 20 seconds before being shot.

4. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Netflix and Hulu Fyre Festival Documentaries

Fyre Fraud (Hulu)

I watched this one first. I knew about what happened with Fyre Festival on the periphery and had no idea how big a fuck up it actually was until watching this. My god is Billy McFarland a massive piece of shit. I liked this one because it went deeper into how he came even conceive of such a retarded idea and how someone really starts believing their own hype (that they themselves created). I have no idea how he gained any popularity from an idea like Magnises and all of his ideas just seem like vehicles to promote his bizarre obsession with elitism and celebrity culture, culminating in the Fyre Festival fiasco. This one also gets points because it actually has him in it. I had no idea why he would agree to an interview in a documentary thats shitting on him completely, but then it comes out that he was paid either $125K or $250K, depending on the source. This one seems to focus more on how much of a fuck up McFarland is. Having just finished Bad Blood, he really reminds me of Elizabeth Holmes.

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix)

I think I liked this one better. It goes deeper into the breakdown in logistics/planning and how other people involved saw the disaster on the horizon and couldnt stop the train from going off the tracks. Also, how he tried to get his gay event planner to suck a Bahamanian custom officer's dick to skirt an alcohol tax. Plus, I figured Ja Rule was garbage, but hot damn is he a piece of shit in his own right. What utter disregard for other people. He should have been prosecuted too. The downside of this one is that it was produced by Jerry Media, who were some of the key promoters of the event. Something tells me they wouldnt let themselves share any of the blame. Either way, I thought this one was better and had higher production value. Probably because it doesnt involve spending some of the budget to pay McFarland to just sit there and bullshit on camera.

Fyre Fraud - 6/10

Fyre - 8/10

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mads Mikkelsen is in Arctic and Polar at the same time? That's very confusing. I just saw the trailer for Arctic at the theatre last night and thought I had remembered a good review. I thought I was just remembering the name wrong. Makes more sense now.

6. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Fyre (Netflix)
    I basically agree with Juice. The only thing that I found to be disappointing was how little we heard from attendees of the event. There were a few brief interviews with a couple of them, but that was it. Maybe there was not much else that needed to be said, but I would have liked to have heard more of what it was like actually to be immersed in the clusterfuck. It got a little old and repetitive hearing mostly from some of the people who had various roles in organizing the event, but it was a worthy watch nonetheles.

7/10

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Velvet Buzzsaw

Jumbled, disjointed supernatural/slasher horror with no horror and no slasher. Instead, a great cast is mostly wasted serving up as predictable fodder for “cursed art” that murders “greedy” people in non-frightening, unoriginal ways.

Gylennhal playing a pansexual art critic is excellent, he’s all in as usual. There are some great directorial touches and some of the digs at the superficiality of the art community are great, but far and few. But with barely a likeable person in sight, and a pedestrian story (that’s barely even there) sink a promising film. There are no fun twists, no real suspense and no satisfying answers to the horror here.

4/10

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The two guys that attended that were interviewEd were NOT part of the class action law suit, I think. So, maybe the attendees who were can't talk about it? I don't think that's been resolved yet, but I'm not sure. One of the guys interviewed sued separately.

9. Whatthe...

Whatthe...
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Bohemian Rhapsody

I finally got a chance to watch this, and I thought it was pretty good. The music was amazing and it was a really good biopic of Freddy's life from the beginning of the band up until the Live Aid show. Rami Malek did an awesome job portraying Freddy. Mike Myers was good. I also liked Aidan Gillen in it, even though all I could think of was how he was going to fuck over the band someway (typecasted from Game of Thrones). Even if you don't like Queen, the last 20 minutes of the movie is fantastic, and made it worth it.

7/10

10. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Robin Hood

Even if the final reel of this film was simply the missing footage from “The Lost Horizon”, this movie STILL would suck balls beyond belief.

Whoever green lighted this monied garbage should be put against a wall and shot. You’d have more fun staring at a blank wall, this movie makes the Russell Crowe garbage version of this story look like Errol Flynn’s

1/10

11. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Captain Marvel

This is a tough one and Im on the fence about it. Maybe Im getting sick of the MCU since theres been what, something like 20 movies now? I dont know. There were things I liked about it and things I didnt. I guess I just dont see the appeal of Brie Larson. She just seemed a bit lame and Im not sure she really pulls off headlining a big blockbuster like this. It really should have been another actress like Charlize Theron, who was speculated to be in the role for a while before it was announced. The story was "meh" and was ostensibly an origin story about Carol Danvers and ended up feeling like a pseudo-origin story about Nick Fury. Captain Marvel was never a really interesting comic book character to begin with, so thats a big part of it. The mid-credits scene was the best part of the whole film. I would probably not recommend seeing it in the theater. Its about as good as Avengers 2, Guardians 2, etc. Very much in the mid-tier range.

5/10

12. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought she was fine. Although, it bothered me that when she runs, her feet flip out. But, when her stunt double ran, it was noticeably not that.

I agree it was mid-tier, but I'd give it a 6/10. And, I don't mind seeing a 6/10 at the the theatre when it's part of the set. I enjoyed it simply for the Guardians of the Galaxy meets Top Gun vibe.

13. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Captain Marvel -

I agree with the mid tier perspective. It’s an okay story, and not at all bad writing. I just wish Larson had been a little less...stiff.

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

“Wooden Indian Performance” is how I would define it, bordering on charmless. Possibly the weakest MCU entry along with The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

15. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Did you forget about Thor 2?

16. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

It was really funny despite the fact it was more corny than the entire state of Iowa. The third was was by far the best of the three.

17. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The moments she was able to let go of the direction they had her in and actually showed some light?
    That’s something.

The be stiff and grit your teeth?

Hard to ignore.

18. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Thor Ragnarok was probably the most pure fun Marvel movie aside Guardians 1 and the first Iron Man.

I literally slept through 2/3 of Thor 2. It was that boring.

19. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Dawn Wall

This one came out in 2017 but I just caught it on Netflix. It's a documentary about two guys attempting the first climb of El Cap's dawn wall in Yosemite (it's the first thing in Yosemite valley that gets hit by the sun each morning, hence the name). I was completely engrossed the whole time, really well put together.

9/10

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Well, you’re all part of the problem, then. This is the best MCU movie ever, because Captain Marvel is a strong female!

Seriously though, it’s just filler. The entire story is in the trailers:
    -Earth woman is somehow superhuman
    -Doesn’t remember who she is (so naturally she will learn, and harness her powers)
    -Nick Fury is there and has two eyes (so we’ll see how he loses one).

The movie is out now so that the general public knows who Carol Danvers is when she appears on screen in Endgame.