Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Halloween

Wasn’t perfect, but still really enjoyable. Probably the best film in the entire series. I liked that they walked back almost all of the stupid lore from the earlier movies and just made him a deranged psycho again. It was far better than the garbage Rob Zombie movies. It was funny in some spots and pretty tense in others. Some nitpicky shit:

-No one cared that the husband/dad died on the front lawn?
    -Laurie had 40 years to prep and the best gun she had was a rusty old Winchester? No semi-auto anything?
    -How did he find the two podcasters at the gas station?

7/10

2. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I don't think it's a spoiler since it was in the trailer but apparently, according to Jamie Lee Curtis, her weaponry and use of firearms were all determined by her to reflect her stance on gun control. My guess is it's part "Hollywood elite thinks black rifles are icky" and part "a lever action is more aesthetically pleasing in a motion picture that isn't about SWAT teams and bank heist."

3. TJMax

TJMax
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I just saw it last night; it was decent. I don't remember a lot about the character from the comics, but the movie definitely puts him on the good end of the anti-hero spectrum.

From the credit cookie, looks like we're getting Carnage to represent the evil side of the Symbiotes.

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think that's why she
    walked room to room with the rifle instead a hand gun? Which was dumb. But, that doesn't explain why she practice held a pump shotgun in front of her face instead of shoulder or hip. She'd have broken her nose.

5. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Found it! I recommend watching on the biggest screen you can.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Overlord
    Good stuff. I didn't really know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised at how engaged I was the whole time. Unique film, for sure. The opening war scene(s) was fantastic, and I'd have been satisfied if the whole thing was just a war pic - but, it takes a turn for sure. Also, didn't realize that was Kurt Russell's son - he's good.

7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs and other tales of the American Frontier

The Coen brothers deliver another classic via Netflix this time, a Western-themed anthology of half a dozen unrelated movies done in completely different film and storytelling styles, ranging from absurdity to reflection, but the primary focus is sadness and loss— which they deliver both in heaping doses. They get you attached to these great characters and then just rip them from your arms screaming, not giving a damn about the attachment. Wreathed by their trademark humour and irony here is a heart that is as black as gets.

Tim Blake Nelson deserves an Oscar as the title character, an joyously murderous singing cowboy done in the style of Tom Mix and Will Rogers-style westerns. From then on it starts getting doomsday dark on a near-Twilight Zone level of “nobody is safe” but you can’t take your eyes off it. Another masterfully detailed flick from the Coens as they continue to rival Scorsese as America’s greatest filmmakers.

9/10

8. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I loved the first one with Tim Blake Nelson, and I've watched up through the Liam Neeson one. Do they get better again after that? I didn't really like that one, mostly because I didn't get it, so that's probably on me.

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

People’s taste vary widely between the segments. Neeson’s is one of the nastiest ones, and possibly the weakest. Each one is very different from the next.

Right now there is a borderline movement happening on social media made up of movie fans wanting Buster to have his own feature-length film. That would be amazing.

10. Clutch

Clutch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I think the one with Liam Neeson would have been better if they had kept going and ended with the chicken not being able to do the tricks because the original handler was a fraud.

11. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn’t watch the last one because I fell asleep, but so far the Tom Waits segment was my favorite, because he’s such a great character actor.

12. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Could they have possibly picked a more beautiful location for his segment? It looks like it was shot in heaven.

This also may be the first movie since “Waterworld” to detail how much smoke and soot a gun discharges when you fire it. I always laugh at movies when fancy nickel-plated guns are sparkling clean after being fired twenty times. It would be covered in black in two seconds.

#1032 Crown Royal, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Apostle (on Netflix)

A guy goes searching for his sister at some cult island off the coast of Britain sometime in the early 1900s. Hijinx ensue. I love gothic-style horror, but man, this movie was fucking heavy. Dan Stevens is becoming one of my favorite actors. I saw him in the Man Who Invented Christmas recently and he was great in that. This was a very different role and he killed this one too. My only gripe is that the first and second halves felt like different movies. I liked the first half much better. When the second half starts getting into the supernatural stuff, it drops a lot of subplots and never quite circles back to some of them later on.

The plot was ok, nothing ground breaking and the story wasn’t written amazingly. But the acting was good and horror elements/violence were pretty fucking brutal. Its free if you have Netflix so I think it’s worth watching.

6/10

14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

That plot wasn’t what I thought it would be. But the horror and violent scenes were as nasty as it gets. Stevens is going to be a huge star.

That scene in the septic/sewer is one of the scariest scenes I have EVER seen in any film. I will not forget it as long as I live, I’d recommend the movie just for that 60 seconds alone.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Yeah seriously. Scared the absolute fuck out of me because up until that point it wasn’t that kind of movie. I think I have to give it a second viewing, there is just so much going on so quickly. The violence was so visceral. The director also made both Raid movies. If you haven’t seen it, The Raid 2 is a work of art.

16. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

The last one was good, if you ever wake back up. I didn't realize the trapper was Harris from Major League until I saw the credits. And, I still liked the opener with Nelson the best, but the Prospector with Waits was definitely a close second - even with Chekhov's Owl.

17. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Spider-Man: into the Spider-Verse

This is fantastic. Everything about this movie is great. The cast is solid top to bottom, the writing is clever, the animation is superb in ways I've not seen, and the story is dense. It's one of the most entertaining films I have seen in a very long time. It was very unique in so many ways, and was better than I was expecting. Well done all around. 10/10

18. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Tales from the Hood 2:

I randomly saw they made another one and was on netflix. Really liked the first as a sleeper as a Twilight Zone esque horror flick based in the hood. The same producers and directors were back so I had hoped it could match the quality of the first. Wrong. The first story is so laughably bad in acting and execution I almost turned it off. The through line plot that connects the segments is unfortunately the second worst executed story of the movie. Ham fisted and predictable from the outset Keith"Howd you get the Beans above the frank?" David does a passable job as the narrator but it's all just too campy. The closest story to the quality of the original was the Emmett Till story, which with a bigger budget could have been a really great segment about shifting timelines in a parallel universe.

2/10

19. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Any movie involving Keith David’s velvet voice gets two stars.

That’s a shame that it sucks. I also enjoyed the first one. A bit campy, but from the original TV previews back in ‘95 I m thought it was going to be a satire horror-comedy. It was not that whatsoever, but instead a VERY sadistic and nasty message film for it’s climate. It’s better than people think it’s going to be.

20. NatCH

NatCH
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Mortal Engines

Sometimes, a movie is so bad it's good. For example, I enjoyed Pacific Rim because I knew what I was getting - giant robots fighting giant monsters. The story didn't matter at all, as long as there weren't any long breaks between robots or monsters.

Sometimes, a movie is just a stupid idea. That's what Mortal Engines is. Because Steampunk is a stupid genre, that exists only to feature bowler hats and blimps.

Bargain-Price Elle Fanning teams up with Discount Eddie Redmayne to bring down an evil plot, in a world where cities are now on fucking wheels, because why not? From the producers of such hits as Nearly Every Other Film Also Starring Hugo Weaving, you'll also see Well Known Character Actor Not As Expensive As Andy Serkis.

What you won't see is any rolling cities worth a shit other than London. Discussing this movie is sad, because it further validates a stupid premise.

Rolling cities? Seriously?