Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Player X is a meshing Of Maguire, DiCaprio and Affleck according to the producers

2. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Everything about this movie is great. It’s a mocumentary on par with Spinal Tap. Allison Janey is nothing short of amazing. Margot Robbie had me beleiveing she could be Tanya. It’s shot like a 2002 retelling of a 90s story. It’s just amazing. Also, the story is much more compelling than I knew.

3. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Janney is GOING to win an Oscar for this movie, she’s the female Sam Rockwell and is long overdue.

Besides Robbie being too beautiful to play this trashy hose-beast, it’s one of the best movies of the year. It’s fun to watch and it flies by. Every actor but Janney is miscast, yet brilliant in their role. The only movies from 2017 I thought might be better were Florida Project, Three Billboards and Wheelman.

9/10

4. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Ftfy

5. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I thought Baby Driver was a great movie for the first half. Then the plot kicked in and it somehow devolved into a bad action movie. Still a good movie. But I didn’t find it as earth shattering as others.

6. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

That’s pretty much my take. My one big complaint was:
    There was no need to turn John Hamm’s character from likeable crew mate to 80’s slasher movie villain. The last half hour was made up of climaxes trying to kill him off.
    But it was edited with brio and is still a very fun flick.

7. Aetius

Aetius
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Dunkirk. Ftfy.

8. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Watched this last night. Im not sure where it took place, but I didnt realize it was filmed in Boston until about half-way through. It wasnt bad. Frank Grillo is a fairly underrated actor and Im glad hes getting some play in other movies and the MCU as something other than the Purge movies. Overall though, the plot was a bit weak and the 3rd act pay-off could have been better. The camera angles focus also got annoying after a while. I just wanted to see what he was driving in and the city in general rather than the right side of his face for 45 minutes. Overall though, the idea of it was cool and I liked it. For a Netflix movie, it was the right length at 80-something minutes and it was worth a watch.

6.5 / 10

9. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

The director has a future. I think it was his first film. And Grillo was amazing.

10. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Has anybody seen Three Billboards . . .? Well-made film, brilliant acting, etc. It was certainly not what I was expecting based on the trailer, but that's a reward since I didn't leave disappointed. Not the feel good hit of the year, or anything. Sam Rockwell was painfully fantastic. Anyway,
    why did the suspected rapist guy come into the gift shop having heard about Mildred, and throw the ceramic figure at her? If he wasn't "the guy," what was his beef with her? Was it just like, "hey, I'm standing up for other rapists."?

11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

One of the best movies of the year. Rockwell is so good at making you hate him in that movie. As for your spoiler:

I think he just didn’t want the heat on himself, because he thinks he raped her daughter instead of someone else.

It’s an intentionally mean-spirited film, meant to get under the skin of the audience, divide them, and give no reward.

12. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

The Post

I think some movies are filmed in a specific way to be Oscar bait. This is one of those movies. Its tight, slick and has Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, and a great cast of supporting actors. I really liked that Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were in it. Mr. Show has come a long way.

Its a pretty good film and had some interesting deeper messages about press freedom that we take somewhat for granted today (and had some thinly veiled digs at the current administration). Overall, I dont think its best picture of the year, Three Billboards was better i think. But I really enjoyed it.

8.5 / 10

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Black Panther

Pretty good origin story and up there as far as Marvel movies go. The acting was really good and Michael B Jordan was a stand-out performance. Not sure it was as good as the reviews make it out to be and the CGI was pretty crappy in some parts, which is inexcusable when you have the resources of Marvel/Disney at your disposal. Over all though, I liked it.

7/10

14. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I didn't notice the CGI being crappy.

Pros: I thought the car chase scene was well done. Serkis did a good job in a non motion capture role. I thought Letitia Wright was terrific and wished there were more Shuri scenes.
    Cons: The depth of Chad Bozeman's Wakandan accent seemed to come and go. The "everybody stops fighting at the same time" was a little odd and could've been handled better.

I'd go 7.5/10. The more fun part to me is the phenomenon of the whole event. Just a massive blockbuster, clearly tapping into the African-American market, breaking lots of records. Pretty cool. The closest theatre to me is in a population center that is about 48% black, 48% white and there is only the one theatre. I went to the 8:00 pm Sat show, because 6:30, 6:45, 7:00, 7:15: 7:30 were all sold out. (Other movies that originally had showtimes were canceled and bumped to make other screens for Black Panther.) While waiting in line to go in the theatre, I watched all the previous folks that came out. Every single person was African-American, with the exception of the last lady to come out. 70 year-old white woman, by herself. I am sure that DC is now scrambling to get the Cyborg, Mr. Terrific, or Luke Cage movie made.

15. dieformetal

dieformetal
    Expand Collapse
    Hurricanes Are My Bitch

Just watched The Dark Tower...and yeah, pretty much everything Aetius said. The only reason I’d give it a 2 or a 3 is because I did like the acting of Idris/McConaughey.

Also I noticed that Roland had the Horn of Eld in the movie, which makes me think that they’re going to pawn it off as a “sequel” to the novels...in which case I hate everything.

16. downndirty

downndirty
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I watched Black Panther in Puerto Rico on a Sunday at 1 p.m. and it was so sold out, they tried to sell me a ticket to Peter Rabbit at the same time.

The sand effect and credits were gorgeous. I liked the music, Boseman is from South Carolina (!), and it was a pretty solid story. Jordan as the villain was surprisingly good, even if his lines were a bit bleh. I am happy there was a Marvel movie with a good, believable villain that wasn't Loki.

That said, between Spider Man Homecoming, Thor and BP, Marvel is on one hell of a tear.

17. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Logan Lucky

Plot is a few West Virginia hicks decide to rob a NASCAR race. I really liked this movie. The story was very well crafted, the dialogue was solid and there was some genuinely very funny moments. The standout performances were Daniel Craig as Joe Bang. What a great character and a fun way to break type from James Bond. Adam Driver was also excellent. It was solidly entertaining from start to finish.

9/10

18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Funny that Soderbergh directed it because It was a caper comedy like the Oceans 11 trilogy only the characters are likeable and it doesn’t suck. Craig was a riot, his brothers were a riot and Elvis Presley’s Granddaughter is hotter than hell.

A prison riot over Game Of Thrones. You have to love it.

19. iczorro

iczorro
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Infinity War: 9.5/10

Really, really well done. For as many characters as they had to get into this thing, it didn't feel forced, it didn't feel cluttered.They smoothly moved from the end point of each of the last movies in the characters respective movies and wove that shit together pretty seamlessly. Thor's initial interactions with the Guardians (or rather, their take on him) was pretty funny. Also, his new weapon makes him fucking scary.

They kind of explained why Hawkeye and Antman aren't in this one, though not in a really satisfactory way.

Damn, that ending. Thanos gets what he wants. The only reason I took half a star off, is that we know all those dead folks can't stay dead, which makes it a little lower stakes. There's gonna be a Guardians 3, another Spiderman, another Black Panther. Therefore those characters cannot be dead for real. But with the end credits scene, I'll be interested to see how Captain Marvel fits in/fixes stuff. But maybe RIP Gamora for real?

20. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Totally agree. That was great
    and they didn't use the "now suddenly they're all together in some forced conclusion" trick. The ones that merged worked well, and keeping Stark, Strange, et al elsewhere worked well.
    Not just the ending, though. The tension of knowing some of them were going to die made the whole film intense. At one one point I realized I had been clutching a fist for about 10 minutes.

Doesn't Captain Marvel take place in the 90s? So, there's some kind of time jump that will factor in to the plot. I think I remember a discussion about leaked photos that show Iron Man and Cap's old suits, so there is some other kind of time jump.

I wonder about Ant Man & The Wasp, if it will end with one of them or Hawkeye evaporating.