Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Recent Movie Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pop Culture Board' started by atcmh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. atcmh

atcmh
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Let's keep the reviews away from from previews, so it will be easier for people to avoid major spoilers.

Mod Edit:

Post actual reviews, as in more than a few sentences. A good review tells the reader why the film is or isn't worthy of their time. You can't accurately portray that information by saying "Oh, it was good. Lots of things blew up".

2. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

Agreed

*No Spoilers*

Law Abiding Citizen - Movie wasn't bad at all... as a matter of fact I find myself liking Jamie Fox more and more. Both Him and Gerard play their typical characters in this, but if you liked Collateral (with Tom Cruise) at all this is def along those lines.

nettdata edit: Spoil away, but use the spoiler tag. Go see the technical FAQ if you don't know how.

3. BigBang

BigBang
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Without giving anything away, can anybody offer a thumbs up or down for Paranormal Activity?

I loved the Blair Witch project, it was the only horror movie to ever legitimately scare me (I know, I know...fuck you.) I hope that PA is a worthy successor. Any thoughts?

4. D. Eric

D. Eric
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I saw this as more of Miami Vice Foxx than Collateral. It was just him trying to be as intense as possible in every single scene. To me I thought it was an entertaining movie, but not really anything great. Worth a matinee price tag, and maybe I'll pick it up if it's in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

For the most part there was completely unexpected and somewhat unnecessary violence in basically every scene. The violence starts off in your face and doesn't really ever leave.

I had a very hard time believing much of anything in this movie, and then the end was a let down for me. I get that he's this master genius, but I just can't see tunneling out of prison to be a feasible way of doing this. If he was actually killing people outside of prison while he was in prison, they would have had him guarded better all around the clock. He wouldn't have had time to spend the afternoon or the evening running around town setting up his victims. I was so let down when I figured out he had a guy on the outside, and that guy was him.

The best part about this movie was that it was so ludicrous I laughed a lot during it, however I did spend a lot of time looking at the people next to me like "what the fuck is going on". Then again, maybe it was just cause I was stoned.

5. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'm not sure whether you consider this a thumbs-up or thumbs-down, but I saw it yesterday and then last, my wife had to shake me awake from a screaming nightmare. So yeah, it messed with my head.

I'd say it's better than The Blair Witch Project, and I'm ranking it right up there with The Exorcist and The Shining in strict terms of getting in your head. In a way, it's scarier to me than the other three, because I'm not out in the woods looking for a witch, I'm not a 12-year-old girl who played with a Ouija board and I'm not a writer acting as caretaker for an isolated hotel - but I do sleep in a bed at night, around which is where most of the terror in Paranormal Activity takes place.

6. Fernanthonies

Fernanthonies
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My friends are trying to get me to go see this, but I'm still not sure if I want to. Yes I will admit that I don't do that well with scary movies, but I can usually enjoy them as long as they have a good story behind all the scary. Movies like The Shinning and Mothman Prophecies have always been some of my favorites even though they creep the hell out of me.

Is PA pretty much just a 1.5-2 hour long "fuck with your head" fest, or is there an actual interesting plot behind it all?

7. PIMPTRESS

PIMPTRESS
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Where the Wild Things Are. I loved it, was my favorite book as a wee girl. I've read it at least weekly to my kids since they were born. My 4 year old adored it, was in a trance. My 3 year old, not so much. There is a darkness to the social group (of the Wild Things) that he could not grasp.

There is my childrens movie review...

8. BigBang

BigBang
    Expand Collapse
    Should still be lurking

Awesome! I totally miss that feeling of being nine years old on Halloween night and completely cared out of mind (while also on a kingshit sugar high.) I'm with Fernanthonies - hopefully there a bit of a plot to it, as well.

9. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

I'd say there is a plot, in as much as The Blair Witch Project had a plot. Don't go for plot, though. It's more of an "experience" than a "story".

10. Sean Daley

Sean Daley
    Expand Collapse
    Average Idiot

Law Abiding Citizen.

I thought it was an entertaining flick with an okay plot. It's pretty obvious from the beginning that Foxx is going to live in the end, and he's going to find a way to stop the smartest killer of all eternity before he kills his own family. I was kind of let down to know that he was just tunneling out of prison to make those kills, but I guess it's better than him having an actual sidekick out in the world that would be able to live freely after he is found guilty of all the killings.

The beginning scene was very intense. And a lot of parts I just had to laugh through because they were either very random or very absurd.

Like it was said before maybe I'll pick it up if it's in the $5 bin at wal-mart, but I wouldn't waste $10 on it again.

11. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

Spoiler tags. Please use them.

Click on the "spoiler" button above the text box, and type your spoiler content between the tags.

NSFW tags work the same.

For instance, this code:

Code:
    [spoiler]This is a spoiler[/spoiler]
    makes this:

This is a spoiler

12. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

13. Tey

Tey
    Expand Collapse
    Village Idiot

I knew this too but didn't like it. There are a lot of movies where I want to see the bad guy win but mostly its due to the work they put in their plan and the short amount of time the good guy spends messing shit up. This was one of the rare movies where I actually sympathized with Gerard's character, and wanted him to win the whole thing just because I thought he deserved it. I don't even know if I'd call him a "bad guy" or Jamie the "good guy"... to me the movie ended the way it did just to keep pace with cliche morals and taught-you-a-lesson type endings.

14. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Away We Go: This film... This movie... Good God, this movie sucked the back of my balls, and not in a good way. Where to begin? Fucking boring. Where to end? Fucking boring.

In closing, the movie is to dramady what Transformers 2 is to art films.

15. BeCoolBitch_BeCool

BeCoolBitch_BeCool
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Considering I have no children nor my girlfriend's warm, fuzzy nostalgia of the book, I loved this movie. While the beginning gives us Dave Eggers' signature shotgun-to-the-face style of exposition, it helps the movie transition to the second act very quickly, which works since that's what we came to see anyway. It really captures what it feels like to be a 10-year-old, and provides us the loose justification of the stupid shit I did as a kid (i.e. breaking sticks in the woods, throwing clumps of dirt).

I heard friends saying that they didn't like the ending. The fact that he returns from his world and simply hugs his mom wasn't enough for some people. However, I think the story of him in his world provided more than enough metaphor to fill in the blanks.

16. Kubla Kahn

Kubla Kahn
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Hello all, guess my first post on the new board should be a good old scathing movie review:

I thought Where the Wild Things Are sucked. Maybe I just listen to a little too much Adam Carolla Podcast but this movie was lame. You will get a tingle of nostalgia seeing the images from the book on the screen, I thought the movie was beautifully shot. Beyond that the adult themes injected by the writing team were hollow and BORING. All the Wild Things suffer from extreme melancholy, except Tony Soprano's roid rage, I get the dark adult tone set by the movie but I really really didn't like it. This was made by the art house crowd for the art house crowd. If you want a light hearted nostalgic kid movie, skip this and just watch The Sandlot again.

17. p00g0blin

p00g0blin
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

To answer your question:
    I'd say "fuck with your head" fest.
    Saw it last night with the girlfriend, and wouldn't have any problem calling it a movie where the chills, screen swinging & profanity outbursts occur often.

I'd recommend it - Just be prepared to lose some sleep.

18. Frebis

Frebis
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

I just got back from paranormal, and found it to be an excellent movie that was roughly 30 minutes too long.

It was so slow starting off I watched people leave the movie theater, fall asleep, and just talk (in defense of this one I was at a movie theater blacks frequent, so it was to be expected).

However the last twenty minutes made up for it. It was the best tenty minute of a horror movie I have seen since the final fight in Freddy vs Jason. Should not be missed by anyone.

19. redbullgreygoose

redbullgreygoose
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

I didn't like Paranormal Activity. But it was my own fault for expecting it to be something it isn't. If you can accept that no matter what, horror films usually lack story and are a little corny (this one was not corny compared to most, but still) then you can enjoy this movie.

It seemed like almost everyone in my audience enjoyed it.
    I'd recommend it as a good date movie.

20. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

So I just got back from Paranormal Activity.

I don't scare easy when it comes to movies. Mostly because I roll my eyes whenever something gruesome happens (thanks, violent video games!). In my opinion, getting scared by a film isn't the same as being startled, which is what most scare movies go for now.

Paranormal Activity bucked this trend from the get go. Watching this film was almost like undergoing Chinese water torture. Drop by drop of dread just hitting you in the face. Then it becomes a trickle, then a fire hose. At no point during the movie did I look at my watch, whisper smartassed comments, or even drink my soda. From about two minutes before the climax, I swear to Christ I was going to have a panic attack. It was actually good for me that I ignored my soda, because if I did, I would have pissed myself.

For the record, I haven't been really scared watching a movie since The Blair Witch Project. The difference between this movie and Blair Witch was that this movie was much more grounded in reality. You can actually see the things happening on screen conceivably happening to you. You go from dread to, gripping the armrests, to finally assclenching terror.

If I do have a gripe about this movie, it was the stupid fuckers that wouldn't shut their goddamned mouths. Remember that scene in the 40 Year Old Virgin when the black guy was watching the slasher movie and was screaming at the TV? That's what happened, but with a couple hundred people. If you want to maximize the experience, go when no one else is going, or watch it on DVD.