Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SouthernIdiot

SouthernIdiot
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RANT: The weather has been gorgeous here for the last 3 weeks or so. Everything has or is leafed out and blooming. I sprayed my peach tree as it's looking like I get an actual crop this year for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Tonight's forecast: frost warning as the temps could get down to 33. Could you quit being a complete bitch mother nature? Thanks in advance.

2. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Finalized the cover art for my upcoming book today. It felt like I’d never get to this point even a year ago.

3. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: 1st word problem covid rant. It was nice out so i decided i wanted to insure my motorcycle, i called and they said they are closed to the public and only taking names and will call back when they get to your name. FFS, there really shouldn't be a back log that big, the biggest wait i ever had was maybe 15 minutes, and now they will get back to me sometime next week.

4. walt

walt
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Just got word that my co-worker, the aide that I’ve been working with since December was found dead. He was only 60.

We weren’t close friends outside of work, but he was a good guy and we had fun at work. Funny, last week I suddenly realized I hadn’t spoken to him since things shut down in March so we texted back and forth a little bit.

And of course with this Covid bullshit the best I can do is send his girlfriend, another coworker, a card.

5. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RAVE: Last night I saw a story in the weekly pennysaver (or whatever they're calling the advertising weekly these days). Local brewery had some kick-ass, long-aged premium porters and dark beers they'd whipped up. Ordered some of them online around midnight, and holy shit they were on my doorstep this morning before I woke up. Had one of the 12% for lunch, and damn... it's tasty. Now I need a nap.

6. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Going on call tomorrow for the first time and I'm nervous as FUCK. I started a network analyst job in January and this is my first time getting thrown into the fire. I'm starting to understand how things work a bit, but I'm still at the stage where I'm pretty sure computers talk to each other using microscopic internet gnomes. Sometimes goblins get in there too, but you try to keep them out because they piss in the computers. Or something. We'll see how this goes.

Rave: Very lucky to have gotten this job when I did, and everyone I work with is reasonably cool and understanding. It should be fine. Just as long as the internet goblins stay away for the next two weeks...

7. Whothehell

Whothehell
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

RANT: My wife is 3 months pregnant (not the rant). Her parents have a cabin we were planning to go to for the weekend since we've been working from home/isolating and need a change of scenery. Her especially as I do the grocery runs. The plan was load up groceries from home, hunker down and keep to ourselves.

First it was just us. Then her mom as well. Then her 2 sisters and 4 nieces & nephews ranging from 2 - 10.

I mentioned maybe that's not a good idea since social distancing in a tiny cabin with 9 people, 2 of which are toddlers, just flat out won't work.

Now I'm hiding in the basement while she's upstairs crying because I ruined her weekend. Fuck.

8. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RAVE: The company that I work at, and am a shareholder of, has been the target of an acquisition ever since August of last year from a rather large, pre-IPO (NASDAQ) company (with an 11 figure valuation). Well, the deal officially closed today, and the funds hit my account. Today is a day that I've been dreaming of and working towards for 25+ years, with lots of failures along the way. The fact that it happened during a Pandemic blows my mind, as we all thought the deal would have been called off as COVID-19 unfolded, but they were quite insistent that they wanted it to happen, that we were a part of their long term strategy, and were even trying to speed up the process. In a weird way, the Pandemic has sped up their desired timeline as it really speaks to their long term "digitize the world" goals and their reasons for acquiring us in the first place. I do believe a few of us are going to be drinking today.

9. jdoogie

jdoogie
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: I was trying to look up some information about when my maternal great-grandfather's old gas station was built sometime in the 1920's for my daughter when I happened to find a listing on eBay for some old Cigarette Sellers Licenses that were issued to my grandfather back in the 70's and 80's. Bought them up right away and going to surprise my mom with them as a mother's day present.

10. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Fucking idiot rent-a-center appliance installer flooded two apartments. Carpet, padding, has to come out both, ceiling and insulation has to be replaced in the lower unit. People have to find a place to live, during a pandemic, while the repairs happen.

Both residents dropped renter's insurance because they got tired of paying for it when they didn't use it! Of course, they won't have to pay for repairs, but they're probably going to be wishing they could take that decision back.

11. GTE

GTE
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE: Signed the loan docs for the PPP loan.

12. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: People are fucking dumb. I call my supplier and ask for a male pigtail to plug into the female socket that is on there equipment. They sent it, one of the other warehouse guys puts it away. Now 3 months later i find out it is wrong. I call them up ask what is wrong they ask for pictures. I tell them they sent me the internal pigtail/socket, not the one that plugs into that. They are confused and don't get what i am asking for now. They don't seem to get that on a connector there are 2 sides.

13. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rant: Does every fucking TV commercial need to be about the pandemic and how we’re all stuck at home? We fucking get it. I’m watching TV to escape. Not fucking be reminded and have shameless pandering crammed up my balloon knot. Also, car commercials are the silliest fucking ones.

14. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rave: I'm really not a gifty person in general. I don't expect people to give me stuff, and I don't give a lot of gifts in general either. Now, I have a couple baby registries but they were more a shopping list for myself to keep a list of used items to look for (well, pre-Covid), or to get a registry discount on. An old buddy of my husband bought like half of the shit left on my Amazon registry. I feel so...teary. Grateful, I guess. I always feel like whatever thanks I express is inadequate but he really made me feel some warm fuzzies.

15. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rant: Poison ivy on my dick and balls.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Here is one for you guys to have a good laugh at for the weekend. My daughter who turns 7 at the end of the month comes out of here bedroom while changing into here pj's and says "isn't this under just so cute?"

17. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RAVE: Joined a wine club a couple weeks ago. The first 2 cases showed up today. I’m getting pleasantly hammered while playing Halo. While it snows outside. Today is a good day.

18. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Hamilton film with original cast getting early release and coming to Disney+ in July.

19. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rave: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 are being remaster for current-gen systems. Pumped.

20. JoeCanada

JoeCanada
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: It was a long two weeks but I made it. Nothing's on fire, I did a good job, and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Quotes from two of history's greatest thinkers come to mind:

"We suffer more in imagination than in reality." - Seneca

And: