Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant/Rave:
    Really having a hard time with deciding whether this move is a good thing or not. Housing on the other end is goddamn expensive and insurance/health costs would be more, too. There are so many moving parts right now and the offer letter expires Monday. I think el hubs will make a counter offer and cross his fingers that they accept.
    The kicker is that this company is expanding and hiring a bunch of people in the now/near future. This may or may not last. He told a work friend about it who applied, and because this work friend has a lot more experience and certs, he qualified for a higher up/more specialized job and got an offer for literally more than double what el hubs did. We need to find out how much they actually give promotions when you acquire certs and bust your ass to master your job, because it might suck for a couple years but be fine after that. We are also only budgeting on his number because my income is a giant question mark.

This is the opportunity we've been waiting for but the housing situation makes this really difficult in the here and now.

Also kinda green-eyed jealous rant, but hub's buddy's sister in law (group of people we associate with) who has a house here in town is moving back permanently because she is retiring from Google at age 35. She was doing some kind of cloud management and retired 2 steps below VP. What in the goddamn hell. Her house is paid off, she has accepted a part time teaching position at the local university, and is thinking about opening a coffee shop. Just fucking blows my mind, all that she has accomplished.

It just makes me think even more that we need to go. It's time to do some stuff.

2. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RANT: I take off for 10 days in the morning, and my fucking cat brought a chipmunk into the house. It's now hidden in some corner of my room. I hope this works itself out before I leave.

3. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RAVE: Pellet gun technology.

BONUS RAVE: Got to exert my dominance over my 2 cats. "Hunters" indeed.

4. Nettdata

Nettdata
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Toast

RANT: Flew out to BC for work and a nice fishing trip. 150 hectare forest fire at our lake. Might cause a bit of a change of plans.

5. Fiveslide

Fiveslide
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: I won a gas grill through one of those contests you get in the mail from a local business, in this case it was from a large car dealership. You scratch the little box like a lotto ticket and see if you're a winner.

Rant: Same contest last year I would have won $10,000 if I hadn't been out of town and unable to check my mail before the deadline. My wife called and tried all kinds of begging to get them to pay up, no luck. This grill is a reminder of that shitty day about a year ago.

6. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Dammit. Spent 20 minutes making the perfect smoothie with the last of the yogurt and fresh fruit. Just dumped it all over the counter, cabinet and floor. Ate crappy leftovers instead.

7. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave- Idiot plaintiff is threatening to sue her attorney now as he advised her not to take our original, much higher offer.

Her case is imploding before her eyes and I’m going to make sure she doesn’t see a dime.

8. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: Count is up to 3 nervous shits for the day. There's definitely time for one more.

9. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

My parents just moved from 3000 miles away to 15 minutes away.

10. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rave: He signed. We're moving to Oregon.

11. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: En route to Venice, going on an Adriatic road trip with boyfriend through Italy and Croatia and Slovenia. He has a ring for me in his carry on.

Less rave: Frankfurt airport smells oddly like ikea cinnamon rolls at 5 am, but not in a good way. Now it’s 7am and the smell of coffee has mercifully taken over. I am deliriously tired.

???: Am I going to have to start calling boyfriend something else if he finally puts a ring on it?

12. $100T2

$100T2
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

For those who repped me:

It's 98% rant, 2% rave. They are driving me nuts. Also, them moving this close to "help with the kids" would have helped TEN YEARS AGO when they were 4 and 5 1/2.

They are 70 and 71, and bought a 2600+ square foot, two story (plus basement) house.

13. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Mother effing mother eff brand new heat pump and air handling unit installed less than two weeks ago had shit the bed when I got home tonight. Condensate pan was full of water. Float switch had obviously shut off the compressor, but after draining it and checking for blockage, I can't get it to restart. Bastard A/C repair mother effers better be here first thing in the morning.

14. Czechvodkabaron

Czechvodkabaron
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: I had 2 dates last weekend with 2 different girls, and had a very nice time with both. I needed it.

Rant: One of them texted me after the date and said that she had a really great time with me and wanted to see me again...and then became completely unresponsive after that. I actually liked the other one better, though she wasn't interested in seeing me again I am at least happy that we wished each other the best going forward.

Rave: I found a roommate, and she has been great so far.

Rant: Said roommate got back together with her ex-fiancee, now boyfriend, literally the day before she moved in with me. She was still happy to sign a 1-year lease, but I hope that things stay peaceful.

15. BakedBean

BakedBean
    Expand Collapse
    Disturbed

Rant: Traffic court tomorrow to fight a bullshit ticket. Cop pulls up behind me a couple weeks ago in my driveway to tell me I was doing 31 in a school zone. Now, it's bullshit because:

A. I wasn't speeding - I have passed through that same school zone a few thousand times over the last six years and always slow down because I know it's a huge money-maker for the local fuzz.

B. I had just stopped for a crossing guard, just in case I'd forgotten A.

C. I could see the damn cop all the way down the road.

D. Ticket says he clocked me 391 feet away, which I measured to after the school zone ends, which is when I sped back up to normal.

I'm fighting the ticket, and I'm pretty sure I'll get it dismissed, but it's still a pain in the ass I don't need.

16. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Companies that have forms to fill out in pdf form that aren't fillable pdf's. So I have to print them and fill there little tiny lines out by hand. Fuck you FedEx.

17. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

RANT: Day two of our phones being down. Comcast, you fucksticks, figure your shit out.

18. sisterkathlouise

sisterkathlouise
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Went on the Best Vacation Ever, saw a bunch of beautiful old cities, drank all the wine, boyfriend is now fiancé, and we ate at Hisa Franko (of Chef’s Table fame) and it was incredible.

Rant: Returning to real life is hard

19. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

MEGA RAVE: Either I forgot to full zip up my jacket pocket or it came undo on it own and I scattered my wallet all over the highway. Didn't find out until I had gotten to the store and in the check out line. Spent the next hour and a half retracing my steps going slow. Found one of my cards, then kept searching, found all of the cards over 100m of highway but no wallet. Get home and someone had dropped it through my mail slot, with everything(500 cash I had just taken out) inside of it.

20. scotchcrotch

scotchcrotch
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave- I’ve been asked to be on the board of a chairitable organization and speak at a national logistics conference in the past 24 hours.

I’m flattered but am burning both ends of the candle with 4 kids. Definition of success? Finding the proper balance between work and home.

As I come up on a decade since the founding of my company I’m in a constant tug of war between scaling up and keeping my sanity. The single biggest headache on a day to day basis is employees, yet I can’t scale without.

I hate managing more than anything.