Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rant & Rave Thread

Discussion in 'Permanent Threads' started by Joel Raymond, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal
    Expand Collapse
    Just call me Topher

Rave:

I don't post often here, but I've had a good month. Just after graduating I got the career I wanted. The one that took seven years of ass-busting to get to. I wasn't exactly still in my prime youth for this but I just wanted to collapse and slide down the wall like an angsty hoodie-clad high school teen now that the impatience and anxiety is finally subsiding. I had pushed all my chips forward on this and had to compete against a LOT of people. To say I am happy is an understatement.

There's nothing more frustrating ---actually, rage-inducing--- than getting pushed aside for things like nepotism while you watch hacks take what are basically paid vacations to stand around and blame acts of god on their oblivious fuck-ups and half-assed work. That shit is over. Thank Christ. Because I'm soon going to start becoming somewhat of an old fuck. At least then I won't get arrested for public nudity or hate crimes, even though I'm just saying what everyone here is thinking.

And I have next week off for vacation. Doublemint pleasure.

2. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant: I accidentally informed one of my claimants that he has/is borderline intellectual functioning.

Backtrack, backtrack, backtrack. I felt like a piece of shit.

3. Puffman

Puffman
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave:. Abneretta.

4. Bundy Bear

Bundy Bear
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Just over a month until the girl I'm in love with is visiting from Denmark for a month.

5. Juice

Juice
    Expand Collapse
    Moderately Gender Fluid

Rant: Buying a house sucks. We saw a great place with our realtor yesterday and we were about ready to jump on it. Good thing I walked back through the lot about 100 yards into the woods. What did I find? Fucking commuter rail train tracks. Not only that, the back half of the property has a tendency to flood via the nearby reservoir. Good fucking times. glad everyone was up front about that shit.

6. Nothingdoing

Nothingdoing
    Expand Collapse
    Experienced Idiot

Rant: You think buying a house in the US is bad, try it in the fucking UK. I've been trying to buy a place now for 4 months yet none of the enquiries have been answered and no date for exchange has been given.

Today I find out that because they are divorcing their lawyers have told them not to exchange until they agree how the money gets split so fuck knows how long that will be.

I've therefore threatened to pull my offer if not done by next week and then they can have no money. I fucking sick of this shit.

7. Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant/Rave? The only thing I carry in my right front pocket is a small key ring and a challenge coin. I reached in my pocket for my truck keys as I approached it, and there was a rubber band in my pocket. I have no idea where it came from and don't remember picking one up. I hung it on the gear shift knob in my truck, and drove back to my office about an hour ago. I just refilled my coffee cup while I was on a phone call. I hung up the phone and idly reached in my pocket as I walked back to my desk. There's another rubber band in there. WHO IS PUTTING RUBBER BANDS IN MY POCKET?!

Not sure if rant, because I'm losing my mind; or rave, because, hey, free rubber bands.

8. wexton

wexton
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: We have basically double the amount of equipment, and double mechanics. Which means double the through put of parts, which means double or more my work load. And they aren't going to hire anyone else. If my wife didn't work shift work, i would resign my post and go work in the yard(labourer and make more money). I work 8-4:30, mon-fri with two kids we can't have two people working shift work. Fuck this job, but it pays to well.

9. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Rant: It's 4:30 am and I've been up since 2:45 because Rosie peed on my bed about 12 inches from my head. So my sheets, blanket, and comforter are now being washed. Unfortunately a little soaked through to the mattress so I'm probably going to have to replace it. Dammit.

The reason I haven't gone to sleep downstairs in the guest room is because I don't know what to do about Rosie. She's really been going downhill for the past few months; in addition to being extremely underweight she's now stopped cleaning herself at all and is starting to have balance issues. I've never actually had to make the conscious decision to put a pet to sleep so I don't know when it's the right time. She doesn't seem like she's in any pain or discomfort but she weighs so little and I don't want her to suffer needlessly. This sucks.

10. shegirl

shegirl
    Expand Collapse
    Redemption Seeking Whore

Making the hard decision to have a beloved pet put down sucks. There is no way around that but, in the end we must do what's right for the sake of the pet not ourselves. That's why it's so hard. I feel for you Trakiel.

On a lighter note:

RAVE: This morning on my drive to work I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk with his pet.....sheep. And they both had dreads. This is not a joke. You cannot make this shit up.

11. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Rant: totally forgot about my Brazilian wax appointment today and had chili for lunch. Please Baby Jesus don't let me fart on this aesthetician.

12. Jimmy James

Jimmy James
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rant: Mrs. James had her tonsils removed last week Thursday. She is only now regaining the ability to speak. This left me in charge of the dogs, the house and the kid while she was strung out on Oxy and no sleep. Oh, and I still had to work. Luckily, her parents were able to help me out for a few hours this past week, but Jesus fuck, this past week sucked.

I have a much greater appreciation for what my mom had to deal with.

Rave: The faucet on the front of the house started spraying water behind the faucet head when I turned it on for the first time this year. Why is this a rave? Because I replaced it myself without having to spend a few hundred bucks on a plumber.

Rant:. Now I can spend that money on the medical bills.

13. Trakiel

Trakiel
    Expand Collapse
    Call me Caitlyn. Got any cake?

Rant: Just had to put Rosie to sleep and I feel like shit. This sucks.

14. shimmered

shimmered
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave:
    We closed on the goddamn house today.

Edit: we closed on the sale, we aren't buying another house ever because fuck that shit.

#21034 shimmered, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  15. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rave: el hubs passed his programming III class. I am very happy for him and glad he got through it. The stress has been palpable.

One more semester and we can mobe on with the rest of our lives. Exciting times are ahead!

16. toddamus

toddamus
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Rave: Didn't catch anything again, but when I'm wading in a river with my fly rod, I'm simply happy. I tied my knots well and timely, I was casting well. I need some smaller gauge tippet for some of my flies and I think thats a huge problem I'm having with this stretch of river. I'll grab that tomorrow than go hit it up again. Having this stream within a 30 minute drive of my apartment is kind of a luxury and I'm enjoying it

17. zzr

zzr
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

RAVE: Someone very important to me became an American citizen today. She is an incredible person.

18. Angel_1756

Angel_1756
    Expand Collapse
    The Big Four-Oh

Rave: I've taught my toddler to say "No, I don't want no scrubs" and "snitches get stitches". We're all ready for junior preschool.

19. bewildered

bewildered
    Expand Collapse
    Deeply satisfied pooper

Rant/Rave: Prepping for this party has been a pain in the ass and I don't feel like anyone else is making much effort. How did I get stuck making the majority of the food (and also therefore the majority of the bill). Next time I am taking the bull by the horns early on. I was afraid of people resenting me for assigning duties/food but we are passed that now.

It's for a good cause, though....dad's 70th birthday bash in T-minus 6 hours.

But we are in the process of getting rained out....

Games and booze!

Lots of mixed feelings today.

**Edit: Now I feel bad about bitching. I looked at the final list and other people are bringing or purchasing significant things for the party. I do feel a lot better about this party now! Rave.

#21039 bewildered, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  20. audreymonroe

audreymonroe
    Expand Collapse
    The most powerful cervix... in the world...

Rant: I have been working so hard this year and all that it's amounted to so far is a whole bunch of "almost"s. I almost have a book deal. I've been in talks since early January with the publisher I dreamed of doing the book with from the moment I came up with the idea. I have an editor there who loves the project and is fighting hard for it, but the rest of the team still needs convincing. Now, since we've gone back and forth over the idea for so long, she's asked me to write a new proposal reflecting how it's grown since then so she can start fresh, and once I do that I'm also going to start sending it out to agents and other editors just in case, and even though it all still might work out with the dream publisher it's hard to feel like I'm not just starting over. I almost got an article into one of my favorite magazines that I haven't written for yet (although that was a matter of timeliness, so I'm going to try again soon), I almost got a feature article with another favorite magazine I've only written short little pieces for before, I almost got an article in this fancy academic journal, I almost got a column with a huge magazine. I'm trying to find a full-time job because as much as I love working at the gallery, it's only part-time and I'm fucking sick of freelancing. I was in the final three candidates for dream communications positions with the Morgan and with Carnegie Hall and got the whole "we think you're great! but not great enough, clearly" email from both of them. I've been working on a writing project for a year that I'm almost done with, but it's just something I'm doing on my own, so even once I'm done and release it out into the wild who knows if anyone besides a couple friends will experience it. (Although I just pitched it to NPR and met the top guy at Audible's original programming department earlier this week because my friend produced Jon Ronson's new podcast, so I'm going to try and connect with him, and so right as I'm ending one phase of the project I'm just piling on a whole other level of work just for fun.) I'm trying to write a bill, but after two months haven't been able to get past the intern at the office of the state senator I really want to work with. So I reached out to an old friend's mom who's worked in politics my whole life...and she's going to try connecting me to another senator she knows... who's going to try and connect me with the original senator (and hopefully also sponsor the bill as well).

It's just been so much fucking running around and this endless cycle of hope and disappointment and I'm thisclose to burning out on all of it. This whole week I've been like "Okay, tonight's the night you're going to sit down and write your new proposal." And then I just...lie down in bed instead. Or, "Okay, today you're going to go somewhere where you can't be distracted and you're going to write one of two episodes you have left." And then I just...lie down in bed instead. Feeling on the precipice of all of these huge things happening is somehow even worse than five years ago when I knew all this stuff was probably not going to be happening for a while.