Adult Content Warning

This community may contain adult content that is not suitable for minors. By closing this dialog box or continuing to navigate this site, you certify that you are 18 years of age and consent to view adult content.

Rampant Speculation Time: Duke University Served Tucker Max

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kindalas, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DrFrylock

DrFrylock
    Expand Collapse
    The White

Am I imagining things or did he once--a long time ago--post something about being too poor to pay some old outstanding debt, and then a couple months later he was betting Michael Ian Black some large amount of money out of his next royalty check?

2. scootah

scootah
    Expand Collapse
    New mod

Not imagining, just missing some details.

Before the book released, he was talking in the advice thread about an insane amount of debt from school, medical bills and the period between when his dad fired him and when his site took off when he lived on short term credit. It was a year or more later and months after the book had started turning him a pretty solid profit before he made that bet.

3. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

Question: unless it's way different down in the land of the freedom fries, aren't student loans and such administered by banks and not by universities? And didn't he go to Duke on an academic scholarship or something?

4. ghettoastronaut

ghettoastronaut
    Expand Collapse
    Emotionally Jaded

In a rep, Kampf Trinker brings up a point that makes me wonder - what if his stories (specifically the one about going off to whats-that-place in Mexico for a month during classes) brought up a situation where he might have violated the conditions of his scholarship and they want their money back?

I mean, it'd be a total bitch move and could put a serious chill on students considering their scholarships, but still.